PDA

View Full Version : Some details about touch alarm possibilities

massman
2009-11-08, 11:27
Hi There,

First post for me ! I red a lot of discussions on the Touch but i'm still wondering if it will have some good or basic alarm clock functions.
I know it's not the first objective of this device but I would like to replace my current room sound system (basically made of an old Hifi set
and an Ipod alarm clock) by the Touch and a nice hifi speakers.

I think it can be much better than current installation and could perfectly fit my needs (got a NAS server plugged 24/24 ready to deliver the
best of my music to the Touch).

I guess it will have the same possibilities than the Squeezebox Radio (that I can not use because it has no line-out !), but wanted to check out
with you (if someone could give detailed features of alarm system, would be great)

Thanks !

--
Massman

lrossouw
2009-11-09, 01:07
Basically all the devices are roughly the same:

Can have multiple alarms that can be set for various times.
Each alarm can be set to repeat or be a once-off alarm.
Repeating alarms can be scheduled to repeat on specified days of the week.
Alarms can be set to play internet radio streams, local music files, playlists, special sound effects (such as an alarm sound...), etc etc...
Alarms can fade in (instead of starting at full blast). Does so over a short interval.
Alarms can be snoozed (can specify interval).
Alarm continues for 90min (can make it shorter).

Also alarms can be set on your local server or on mysb.com, so alarms should go off even if your server is down. On the SB3 (not Touch or Radio) alarm won't go off if both server and internet connection are down. With the Radio or Boom it can still go off. Probably the Touch (as it is similar to the radio) too but not sure.

mpower9
2009-11-10, 14:22
On the Squeezebox Radio, if you have it set for internet radio and for some reason it can't access the required channel, an alarm tone will sound instead just to make sure you don't snore on.

massman
2009-11-10, 16:00
On the Squeezebox Radio, if you have it set for internet radio and for some reason it can't access the required channel, an alarm tone will sound instead just to make sure you don't snore on.

Anybody knows if there is the same "backup function" on the Touch. As it has no built-in
speakers (or at least it's not clearly stated on the official page) it could be difficult. Maybe backup
alarm is set to read first available stuff on the SD Card or wherever?

Thanks for your first replies !

--
Massman

usch
2009-11-10, 17:38
Just out of curiosity, who will power on your speakers when the alarm time has come? Or do you leave them on all the time?

lrossouw
2009-11-10, 19:51
The Touch will have some backup feature as the Radio I suspect, but you'd probably need speakers to be on and ready. You'll need this in any case for music.

I use the SB3 and it is similar to the Touch in that it doesn't have speakers. I use an IR emitter (bought separately) and the IR plugin to automatically switch on your amp when the alarm goes off. I am not sure if this type of functionality would be possible via the Touch but I suspect it will.

pfarrell
2009-11-10, 20:07
usch wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, who will power on your speakers when the alarm
> time has come? Or do you leave them on all the time?

Lots of the active speakers (all?) have auto-power sensing, they turn on
when there is signal. I have a set of Advent speakers that are at least
15 years old with auto-power.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

toby10
2009-11-11, 05:08
Touch has it's own speaker for acknowledging input button presses.
I wonder if that couldn't be used for alarm fallback?