PDA

View Full Version : Duet and Touch - What are the differences

Newfiestang50
2009-11-06, 11:10
Guys,

I will be buying either a SB Touch or Duet for XMAS and was wondering what the differences of these devices are. From what I read the Touch can do pretty much everything a Duet can do, am I wrong in saying this. I know that the Touch can also play 24/96 bitrates.....correct?

Any reason why I should buy one over the other? I want this type of device to play my large collection of MP3's & CD's (once converted to FLAC) for the most part but I may also want to stream radio stations as well.

Thanks

tcutting
2009-11-06, 11:24
You don't really provide enough information to help us suggest "which is better" for you.
The requirements you do mention - playing mp3 and FLAC, streaming network radio, can be provided by ANY of the current Squeezebox products - Duet (which is package containing Squeezebox Receiver and Squeezebox Controller), Squeezebox Radio, Squeezebox Boom, Squeezebox Classic, Transporter.
The selection from there is more about how you want this equipment to play into the rest of your setup.
If you want something in a location without an existing stereo system (amplifier and speakers), you might consider the Boom or Radio. These are self contained in terms of having their own amplifier and speaker.
For running into an existing Stereo setup, you have the Transporter (audiophile performance, higher price); SB Classic (being phased out) - has display, works with IR remote, analog outputs and digital outputs (if you want to connect to outboard DAC or into DAC already part of your receiver, for example); The Duet's Receiver into your stereo - it has NO onboard display (the Controller remote provides the display), and doesn't respond to IR remote (so if you already have a universal remote for your setup, this might be important). The Touch is set to replace the Classic, with some new features: Color display (Classic is mono-chromatic), touch panel, supports 24bit/96KHz files natively, plus more native on-board decoding (Apple lossless, for one). ALSO, the touch can act as a Squeezebox Server - plug in a USB HD with your music, or (I believe) access music stored on remote NAS.
With all these choices, the decision has more to do with how you want the particular player to fit into your existing situation. The Touch may be useful if you don't already have a way to host your Squeezebox Server (which you need for serving your local MP3 and FLAC files).

Newfiestang50
2009-11-06, 11:34
You don't really provide enough information to help us suggest "which is better" for you.
The requirements you do mention - playing mp3 and FLAC, streaming network radio, can be provided by ANY of the current Squeezebox products - Duet (which is package containing Squeezebox Receiver and Squeezebox Controller), Squeezebox Radio, Squeezebox Boom, Squeezebox Classic, Transporter.
The selection from there is more about how you want this equipment to play into the rest of your setup.
If you want something in a location without an existing stereo system (amplifier and speakers), you might consider the Boom or Radio. These are self contained in terms of having their own amplifier and speaker.
For running into an existing Stereo setup, you have the Transporter (audiophile performance, higher price); SB Classic (being phased out) - has display, works with IR remote, analog outputs and digital outputs (if you want to connect to outboard DAC or into DAC already part of your receiver, for example); The Duet's Receiver into your stereo - it has NO onboard display (the Controller remote provides the display), and doesn't respond to IR remote (so if you already have a universal remote for your setup, this might be important). The Touch is set to replace the Classic, with some new features: Color display (Classic is mono-chromatic), touch panel, supports 24bit/96KHz files natively, plus more native on-board decoding (Apple lossless, for one). ALSO, the touch can act as a Squeezebox Server - plug in a USB HD with your music, or (I believe) access music stored on remote NAS.
With all these choices, the decision has more to do with how you want the particular player to fit into your existing situation. The Touch may be useful if you don't already have a way to host your Squeezebox Server (which you need for serving your local MP3 and FLAC files).

Ok, sorry for not being more clear. I want this device to play my music collection (MP3's & CD's) that I have stored on my PC through my exsisting sterio system. I want the best sound possible which is why I am leaning towards the Touch with its 24/96 sample rates.

Just wondering why anyone would buy the Duet if the Touch can do everthing a Duet can do and sound better with its better sampling rate. I realize one downfall of the Touch is that you must be at the screen in order to browse music locations on the PC or other sources unless I am wrong. Can the SB controller be used to interface with the Touch?

tcutting
2009-11-06, 11:41
There are a MYRIAD of interface choices available.
The Controller (again, 1/2 of the Duet package, or can be purchased stand alone) can be used to control any and all of the Squeezebox products. You can have a house full of squeezeboxes, and control them all with a single controller. (I do!).
You can also use a Web Browser (except, I believe, if you use the Server built into the Touch, I don't think it supports the browser interface). This can be on the actual server, or a remote laptop, etc.
Most of the Squeezeboxes also respond to IR, so you could use the included remote, or a universal remote (this does NOT apply to the Receiver in the Duet, it has no IR receiver).
If you have a Touch, you can use the IR remote and/or Touchscreen to control ANY of the squeezeboxes on your system (including the Touch itself). Similarly, the controls on the Radio can also control all your squeezeboxes (it has the same basic interface as the controller).
OR, if you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, you can install iPeng, and use that to controll all your Squeezeboxes.
As for best sound possible, there's also the Transporter.

snarlydwarf
2009-11-06, 11:43
Ok, sorry for not being more clear. I want this device to play my music collection (MP3's & CD's) that I have stored on my PC throught my exsisting sterio system. I want the best sound possible which is why I am leaning towards the Touch with its 24/96 sample rates.

If your source is CDs, anything better than 16/44.1 isn't going to change things... since that's the quality of the original CD. You'd have to have some other source of music (DVD-A, etc) to have better than 16/44.1.

Just wondering why anyone would buy the Duet if the Touch can do everthing a Duet can do and sound better with is better sampling rate. I realize one downfall of the Touch is that you must be at the screen in order to browse music locations on the PC or other sources unless I am wrong. Can the SB controller be used to interface with the Touch?

The Touch will do IR remote just fine.

The SBController can control any player, even ancient Slimp3's or the stream.mp3 fake-player. (Ie, the controller talks to the server and tells the server what to do, it doesn't talk to the player direcly.)

So you can -really- mix and match.

You can even use the Touch as a remote for another player: ie set it next to the couch and have it control an SBClassic or SBReceiver, as if it was a giant SBController.

Newfiestang50
2009-11-06, 12:17
There are a MYRIAD of interface choices available.
The Controller (again, 1/2 of the Duet package, or can be purchased stand alone) can be used to control any and all of the Squeezebox products. You can have a house full of squeezeboxes, and control them all with a single controller. (I do!).
You can also use a Web Browser (except, I believe, if you use the Server built into the Touch, I don't think it supports the browser interface). This can be on the actual server, or a remote laptop, etc.
Most of the Squeezeboxes also respond to IR, so you could use the included remote, or a universal remote (this does NOT apply to the Receiver in the Duet, it has no IR receiver).
If you have a Touch, you can use the IR remote and/or Touchscreen to control ANY of the squeezeboxes on your system (including the Touch itself). Similarly, the controls on the Radio can also control all your squeezeboxes (it has the same basic interface as the controller).
OR, if you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, you can install iPeng, and use that to controll all your Squeezeboxes.
As for best sound possible, there's also the Transporter.

OK, so if I understand this correctly, I can use the touch as a receiver instead of the Duet receiver and control it with the SB controller or I can use my Harmony 880 to control it realizing that I will not be able to browse using the 880.

If I decide to purchase the Touch will I still need to install the Slim server software on my PC?

Sorry for all the questions but I have done alot of reading but did not see any post asking about this combination.

Newfiestang50
2009-11-06, 12:19
If your source is CDs, anything better than 16/44.1 isn't going to change things... since that's the quality of the original CD. You'd have to have some other source of music (DVD-A, etc) to have better than c.

The Touch will do IR remote just fine.

The SBController can control any player, even ancient Slimp3's or the stream.mp3 fake-player. (Ie, the controller talks to the server and tells the server what to do, it doesn't talk to the player direcly.)

So you can -really- mix and match.

You can even use the Touch as a remote for another player: ie set it next to the couch and have it control an SBClassic or SBReceiver, as if it was a giant SBController.

Ok, I did not know that CD's were only 16/44.1. Thanks for that info.

funkstar
2009-11-06, 12:46
OK, so if I understand this correctly, I can use the touch as a receiver insteaf of the Duet receiver and control it with the SB controller or I can use my Harmony 880 to control it but I willnot bwe able to browse using the 880.
yes, the Controller will work with any and all the players listed in the Wiki

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/HardwareComparison

You can also use the Harmony as a replacement for the bundled infrared remote.

If I decide to purchase the Touch will I still need to install the Slim server software on my PC?
Touch will have a version of Squeezebox Server running internally, so you wouldn't need to have a PC on to use it.

Bare in mind that the touch isn't actually released yet, and may not be released in time for Christmas. Although a November/December release was stated before, this may have slipped, there is reports of it being Spring now.

Newfiestang50
2009-11-06, 13:57
yes, the Controller will work with any and all the players listed in the Wiki

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/HardwareComparison

You can also use the Harmony as a replacement for the bundled infrared remote.

Touch will have a version of Squeezebox Server running internally, so you wouldn't need to have a PC on to use it.

Bare in mind that the touch isn't actually released yet, and may not be released in time for Christmas. Although a November/December release was stated before, this may have slipped, there is reports of it being Spring now.

Ok, but I thought I read further up in the post that the server used in the Touch did not support the browser interface, can someone clarify this. If it is limited in any way will I be able to install the server software on my PC and somehow disable the one in the Touch.

aubuti
2009-11-06, 14:10
Ok, but I thought I read further up in the post that the server used in the Touch did not support the browser interface, can someone clarify this. If it is limited in any way will I be able to install the server software on my PC and somehow disable the one in the Touch.
If you are running the server software on the SB Touch then there is no browser interface. If you run the server software on your PC then it is easy to disable the server software on the SBT.

funkstar
2009-11-06, 14:12
That is correct, there is no web interface when using the Touch's build in server. As long as you don't manually start the build in server, insert a SD card or attach a USB disk, the server will not be running.

usch
2009-11-06, 14:16
Just to clarify - "No browser interface" means that you cannot control the Touch using a web browser on your PC. It does not mean that you cannot browse your music library. :)

Newfiestang50
2009-11-06, 14:37
Ok, first of all thanks for all the help but my original question I dont think has been answered. Why would I buy a Duet over the Touch once it becomes available. Dont get me wrong, I think both are great from what I have read so far but I am still unclear where one excells over the other.
Are there any other reasons?

From my understanding (with my limited knowledge of either) these are the differences or similarites I see so far:

- both play your MP3's or other formated music collection from your PC but the Touch can utilize an external HD (FAT32 format) or USB stick. The Duet receiver can not. The Duet must have the PC running unless using a music locker on the web
- Both can Stream radio stations or play from music websites.
- Touch has a sample rate of 24/96, Duet has 24/48
- The Duet allows the used to browse his/her collection while sitting on the couch(via controller) whereas the Touch will force you get up close enough to see the screen or purchase a controller or some other device to interface to it. This will however drive the package price up on the Touch quit a bit.

I am sure there are more but those are the ones that stand out for me.

Newfiestang50
2009-11-06, 14:39
Just to clarify - "No browser interface" means that you cannot control the Touch using a web browser on your PC. It does not mean that you cannot browse your music library. :)

Ok, understood, thanks for clearing that up.

aubuti
2009-11-06, 14:53
- both play your MP3's or other formated music collection from your PC but the Touch can utilize an external HD (FAT32 format) or USB stick. The Duet receiver can not. The Duet must have the PC running unless using a music locker on the web
- Both can Stream radio stations or play from music websites.
- Touch has a sample rate of 24/96, Duet has 24/48
- The Duet allows the used to browse his/her collection while sitting on the couch(via controller) whereas the Touch will force you get up close enough to see the screen or purchase a controller or some other device to interface to it. This will however drive the package price up on the Touch quit a bit.

I am sure there are more but those are the ones that stand out for me.
1. correct
2. correct
3. not strictly correct, because it also depends on the source (you need 24/96 tracks to get 24/96 on the SBT)
4. partially correct. The SBT comes with an infrared remote that can be used to control the SBT from a distance. Distance varies with lighting and user's eyesight, but 10-12 feet (3-4m) should be fine.

You've neglected to mention the price difference. Street prices depend on what street you're on, but list prices are USD400 for the Duet (SB Controller + SB Receiver) and USD300 for the SBT. The SBR is available separately for USD150 if you want to control it with an iPhone, iPod Touch, or other device.

musicom
2009-11-10, 01:11
Ok, first of all thanks for all the help but my original question I dont think has been answered. Why would I buy a Duet over the Touch once it becomes available. Dont get me wrong, I think both are great from what I have read so far but I am still unclear where one excells over the other. Are there any other reasons?

The SBC or Duet Controller is portable - it will let you control the system from anywhere within range of your wireless network. So you can walk around to different rooms with the SBC and control things or control multiple players with one SBC. The Touch tethers yo to eyesight of the player due to its need to be plugged in to the AC power supply.

I have 4 Squeezebox 3s (which the Touch replaces) and a SBC with no SB Receiver. I use the SBC in the same room as the SB3 with my main stereo and later in the family room with another SB3 so I can view the album art when listening to Ripped CD's (FLAC format) or Slacker Radio. The Touch of course will display art and will have an enlarged mode for viewing across the room, but it is not portable. the SBC is portable. I have a few downloaded 24/96 recordings, (which play back as 24/48, but I have found few selections in musical genres that I like is in the high rez format.

JeffHart
2009-11-10, 09:07
The SB Controller can also act as a portable player - this is currently in Beta mode with no promise that it will ever be a production release feature. I'm running 7.4.1 and it generally works well, an occasional stutter on start up. Useful for listening to with headphones when the missus is asleep.

There's also the option to use an iPhone or iTouch as a remote controller, iPeng seems to be the most popular app. I'm running both iPeng on an iPhone and the Controller. I find the Controller UI to be more intuitive, many (most?) other users find the iPeng UI to be simpler. May be that I'm new to the iPhone UI in general...

Setting up local playback on the iPeng is a bit more tricky, I set Safari to localhost:9000/stream.mp3 and then use iPeng to control playback. It works fine, allows you to have the music play in the background as long as you don't use the browser for anything else. You can also set that up to work remotely using either WiFi or 3G (will require poking holes in the firewall and providing an externally available IP or domain name for the SqueezeBox Server.

I'd vote for planning on installing SqueezeBox Server on your PC since it will be hosting your library and will need to be powered on when you are playing your music. The mini-SqueezeBox Server (SBS-lite?) will not support all of the plug-ins available and probably take longer to rescan your library if you are adding music on a regular basis.