PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox server? mysqueezebox? Huh?

abysmillard
2009-11-05, 22:17
I've had my SB Radio for about a month now and am thoroughly enjoying it, despite it's many quirks--even on it's worst day it is soooo much better than my old Sangean. Being new to the squeezebox line of products, I'm finding myself more and more puzzled about the two connection options. The radio defaulted to mysqueezebox.com when I first turned it on, so that's what I have used for the most part, but I'm starting to play around with some of the plug-ins, which only work with the server.

As far as I can see, the advantage to mysqueezebox.com is that you don't have to have your PC on. Period. Looks like it's handy for traveling, or for using the radio at work and such, but some features don't work, and communication between the two platforms seems non-existent.

On the other hand, the Squeezebox server is much easier to customize, and it gives you access to the music resident on your PC, as well as internet stations. The only disadvantage of the server is that you have to leave your PC running. This is something I do anyway, since my PC is also the server for my weather station.

Do I have this right? Is there any reason why one would want to connect via mysqueezbox.com if a running PC is available? Is there any reason why I wouldn't want to connect via the server?
Am I missing something?
Thanks!

JJZolx
2009-11-05, 22:39
As far as I can see, the advantage to mysqueezebox.com is that you don't have to have your PC on. Period. Looks like it's handy for traveling, or for using the radio at work and such, but some features don't work, and communication between the two platforms seems non-existent.

Not non-existent, but probably a little (or a lot) broken.

On the other hand, the Squeezebox server is much easier to customize, and it gives you access to the music resident on your PC, as well as internet stations. The only disadvantage of the server is that you have to leave your PC running. This is something I do anyway, since my PC is also the server for my weather station.

Do I have this right? Is there any reason why one would want to connect via mysqueezbox.com if a running PC is available? Is there any reason why I wouldn't want to connect via the server?
Am I missing something?
Thanks!

I think you pretty much have it right. I'm not sure mysqueezebox.com offers any advantage apart from not having to run a local server. Some things, such as services like Slacker, still use myqueezebox.com for authentication (it's a pretty odd arrangement, and prone to falling flat on its face, but that's the way it works), so there's still some communication with your mysb.com account. There's also some strange dependencies for menus that nobody really understands - installing and placing "apps" on the Home menu that may require the use of mysqueezebox.com even when the Radio officially thinks it's connected to the local SbS.

Mark Miksis
2009-11-05, 23:05
Do I have this right? Is there any reason why one would want to connect via mysqueezbox.com if a running PC is available

Some users prefer to not run a PC 24/7 for environmental reasons.

Some users (including myself)) have found that after using services such as Pandora, Slacker and Rhapsody for a few months, that they almost never listen to their personal music libraries anymore. Of course, your mileage may vary.

intermod
2009-11-07, 08:30
>
> Some users prefer to not run a PC 24/7 for environmental reasons.
>

This is also of practical concern. I have measured power consumption of
various PC's (for server use). Our baseline electrical cost in northern
California is $0.12/kwh; at my tier, I am paying $0.24 avg. Assuming 720
hours a month (PC on full-time, no monitor) at $0.24/kwh:

CPU Watts Monthly Annual
AMD P6/300 MHz 28 $5 $58
Pentium I/166 MHz 44 $8 $91
Pentium III/300 MHz 66 $11 $137
Celeron 600 MHz 33 $6 $68
Dual Core T7200 2GHz laptop 35 $6 $73
Pentium 4/2.5 GHz (cheesy video) 63 $11 $131
Same, with hi-perf DVSI video 86 $15 $178
Intel Quad Q9550 64-bit 2.83 GHz 123 $21 $255
Dell Dual Xeon (PIII vintage??) 170 $29 $352

Some of these machines are too slow for SB. Laptops are by far the best
performance/power/noise tradeoff. Celeron also good, but likely too slow.

Someone care to add a "Carbon" column?

Greg

eap
2009-11-07, 10:53
I've had my SB Radio for about a month now and am thoroughly enjoying it, despite it's many quirks--even on it's worst day it is soooo much better than my old Sangean. Being new to the squeezebox line of products, I'm finding myself more and more puzzled about the two connection options. The radio defaulted to mysqueezebox.com when I first turned it on, so that's what I have used for the most part, but I'm starting to play around with some of the plug-ins, which only work with the server.

Am I missing something?
Thanks!

PCs are meant to be on 24/7. The small amount of power used is not a real factor (this whole turning it off for the environment is hogwash). By powering it on and off, it probably uses more energy. Leave your PC on and use squeezebox server. Everything works better that way.

eap
2009-11-07, 10:54
>
> Some users prefer to not run a PC 24/7 for environmental reasons.
>

This is also of practical concern. I have measured power consumption of
various PC's (for server use). Our baseline electrical cost in northern
California is $0.12/kwh; at my tier, I am paying $0.24 avg. Assuming 720
hours a month (PC on full-time, no monitor) at $0.24/kwh:

CPU Watts Monthly Annual
AMD P6/300 MHz 28 $5 $58
Pentium I/166 MHz 44 $8 $91
Pentium III/300 MHz 66 $11 $137
Celeron 600 MHz 33 $6 $68
Dual Core T7200 2GHz laptop 35 $6 $73
Pentium 4/2.5 GHz (cheesy video) 63 $11 $131
Same, with hi-perf DVSI video 86 $15 $178
Intel Quad Q9550 64-bit 2.83 GHz 123 $21 $255
Dell Dual Xeon (PIII vintage??) 170 $29 $352

Some of these machines are too slow for SB. Laptops are by far the best
performance/power/noise tradeoff. Celeron also good, but likely too slow.

Someone care to add a "Carbon" column?

Greg

Hogwash. Having a PC powered on, doesn't mean the CPU is being used 100% of the time or at 100% when it is being used. Not to mention power saving features built into various operating systems.

thomasfoerster
2009-11-07, 12:34
Hey, what's that about hogwash?
I'd rather you didn't reply that rude.
Of course you are right in that a PC doesn't use that much power, Greg's numbers were extreme.
But you cannot deny that your average PC will at least use, let's be careful, 5 to 15 watts when in idle mode, waiting for us to listen to our music.
Right also, some of the newest nettops only use 1 to 5 watts, but even this should be reduced if possible.
And I am not talking about money.
As I understand what Greg says, it's about our approach to energy usage in general.
The squeezebox touch will bring it's own server, and I think this is long overdue.

Sorry, had to say that.

Thomas