PDA

View Full Version : SB Radio - Wireless totally unreliable?

AbMagFab
2009-11-05, 15:59
It was working pretty well for about a week, but now it's completely unreliable. I can't keep a wireless connection for more than an hour, and when it goes out, it can fail for a couple minutes, or hours.

I have a wireless router within 15 feet of it now, and it still won't work.

If I hard wire it, it works fine.

The wireless network shows up on the list on the Radio with a very strong signal.

Is this a known issue? Any advice?

snarlydwarf
2009-11-05, 16:21
It was working pretty well for about a week, but now it's completely unreliable. I can't keep a wireless connection for more than an hour, and when it goes out, it can fail for a couple minutes, or hours.

I have a wireless router within 15 feet of it now, and it still won't work.

If I hard wire it, it works fine.

The wireless network shows up on the list on the Radio with a very strong signal.

Is this a known issue? Any advice?

Try rebooting your router... my router (now relegated to being an AP since it died more often as a router) dies in neat ways now. (That's at home on a much busier network with a few SB's, laptops, etc).

Here at work, my Radio is probably 60' from the nearest router, and it's stable as can be and I listen to it all day.

AbMagFab
2009-11-05, 16:32
I have. I also have other devices connected wirelessly that continue to work fine.

I have a D-Link DIR-625.

Further testing shows that the SB Radio will only connect consistently using no security at all. As soon as I turn on WPA-Personal, it fails regularly.

Any thoughts? I obviously can't do no security.

I also just purchased this new wireless router in case it was my previous one - it's obiously not.

jmpage2
2009-11-05, 19:55
My Squeezeboxes, including the Radio model have been working fine with WPA2 encryption on my Netgear and Dlink routers.

You could always try switching the encryption method from WPA to WEP or WPA2 to see if one works and others don't.

Do you have the very latest firmware for your model router?

brucegrr
2009-11-05, 20:03
I use the Dlink dir-635 model (very similar to yours) and it works fine. 2 story house.....40 plus feet router from player.

WPA-personal is what you should be using. Make sure the firmware for the router is updated.

Now.....I am using a Squeezebox 3 and not the radio sooooo.....

Have you played around with the channel settings? Perhaps some interference? (though you do say you have other wireless equipment that works fine)

tass
2009-11-05, 20:26
I've had problems in the past where some devices just don't want to work even though others work fine, and it's always come down to interference.

Try turning off cordless phones, microwaves, etc and try some different channel settings on your access point.

AbMagFab
2009-11-05, 22:18
No interference...

But I upgraded the firmware from 3.06 to 3.08, and now it seems to be working fine. Nothing in 3.08 release notes indicates a "fix", but whatever - at least it seems to be working reliably now!

I've rebooted the Radio a couple of times, and it immediately reconnected. I've switched to another wireless network in the neighborhood and failed, then switched back and it worked quickly.

So I think this is finally good to go! Thanks for the firmware upgrade advice.

(Also note - when using the D-Link as a WAP instead of a router, the firmware upgrade check button doesn't work - you need to go to the D-Link site and look it up manually.)