PDA

View Full Version : Can't switch snooze off if not using buttons (backlit rant too)?

ModelCitizen
2009-11-05, 03:07
I think not making (at least some of) the buttons backlit on the radio was a mistake. Many users (the majority?) will use the thing as a bedside alarm and will need to use the buttons in the dark. It's the unrectifiable only problem I have with the device. Unfortunately it's quite a biggy (almost as big as the fiddly headphone placement on the Boom is).

Last night I set the snooze but then decided I wanted un-set it. As in the dark I could not work out which was the snooze button I used the screen menu instead but could find no way to turn the snooze off.

Have I missed something (or is there need for an enhancement request)?

MC

jmpage2
2009-11-05, 10:41
I think not making (at least some of) the buttons backlit on the radio was a mistake. Many users (the majority?) will use the thing as a bedside alarm and will need to use the buttons in the dark. It's the unrectifiable only problem I have with the device. Unfortunately it's quite a biggy (almost as big as the fiddly headphone placement on the Boom is).

Last night I set the snooze but then decided I wanted un-set it. As in the dark I could not work out which was the snooze button I used the screen menu instead but could find no way to turn the snooze off.

Have I missed something (or is there need for an enhancement request)?

MC

I don't think that you are going to see the addition of backlit buttons handled as an enhancement request it would require a whole new hardware revision of the box (Squeezebox Radio 2 perhaps?).

I have easily memorized the home button, alarm button and power button and can quite easily get into that even in a dark room and make a change.

If you are using custom button mappings for snooze onto the preset buttons on the front of the radio through an add on, etc, then it would probably explain the extra difficulty.

I also have the excellent iPeng application for my iPhone, so lately I just pick up the phone, go into iPeng and make any alarm changes there in a matter of a few seconds. This solution obviously doesn't do much for non iphone/ipod touch users.

ModelCitizen
2009-11-05, 11:54
I don't think that you are going to see the addition of backlit buttons handled as an enhancement request it would require a whole new hardware revision of the box (Squeezebox Radio 2 perhaps?).
Yes, that's whay I referred to the problem as unrectifiable (meaning it was a hardware problem, not able to be corrected in software).

I have easily memorized the home button, alarm button and power button and can quite easily get into that even in a dark room and make a change.
The only buttons I've needed so far have been power (which is simple to find) and preset 4 (also pretty simple). I also realised after posting this that there didn't seem to be a snooze button on the Radio. :-(

I also have the excellent iPeng application for my iPhone, so lately I just pick up the phone, go into iPeng and make any alarm changes there in a matter of a few seconds.
I too have my iPhone by my bed but it's even more of a faff to find it, open iPeng and navigate to snooze than with the Radio.... and then you have that very bright screen...

No, the main point of my post is that I couldn't find a way to cancel a snooze once I'd set it. This is what I proposed opening an enhancement for...

MC

MelonMonkey
2009-11-06, 09:43
Can't you set (even if it requires a plugin) the center knob, or any arbitrary button, to be snooze?

Do the latest software updates allow for the "normal" Now Playing UI on the screen when the alarm goes off instead of using the screen to label the soft buttons for snooze?

ModelCitizen
2009-11-06, 11:17
Can't you set (even if it requires a plugin) the center knob, or any arbitrary button, to be snooze?
That sort of misses the point, which is...

How do you cancel snooze when you've set it?... without disrupting the currently playing stream.... no esoteric configurations required in any answers.

MC

usch
2009-11-06, 12:41
How do you cancel snooze when you've set it?... without disrupting the currently playing stream....

I am a bit confused about what you are trying to do. In snooze mode there is no currently playing stream - that's the point of snooze, to mute the device for 9 minutes or whatever you have set.

MelonMonkey
2009-11-06, 15:43
How do you cancel snooze when you've set it?... without disrupting the currently playing stream.... no esoteric configurations required in any answers.

I'm not sure what that means. What exactly do you mean by canceling snooze? Do you have this feature on a regular alarm clock you can cite as an example?

Just so we're straight, SNOOZE, means there is nothing playing. Snooze is a count-down timer where the radio is silent during an alarm period. Snooze gives you a silent period within the alarm period. Usually 9 or 10 minutes on consumer alarm clocks.

I can think of two possibilities for what "canceling snooze" might mean.

1. To turn off the alarm completely. This cancels the snooze timer and leaves the radio OFF. This would be the equivalent of pressing an OFF button of some sort. AKA "Alarm Reset" or "Alarm Cancel" on some clock radios.

2. To cancel the alarm and turn the radio ON. This starts playing what was playing before you entered snooze (the same radio station on a typical alarm clock radio) and cancels the alarm timer so that the radio will NOT stop playing an hour or so later. It's the equivalent of pressing an ON button.

For #1 I'd suggest being able to press the POWER button.

For #2 I'd suggest being able to press the PLAY button.

For Snooze itself I suggest pressing the center dial. Pressing it again while snoozing would extend the snooze timer by the pre-defined number of minutes (like on a/some normal clock radio(s)).

By the way, how many clock radios have backlit buttons? How many devices with backlit buttons of any kind keep the buttons lit at all times? I can think of exactly "none" for both those questions. The only way it would have made sense for this type of product to have backlit buttons, IMO, would have been to have a capacitive or other sensor within its face so the buttons would only light up when you put your hand near them.

I wouldn't want the buttons lit up at all times and I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way. IMO, the thing to complain about it that the remote and battery aren't included in the purchase price. At $200 those two items should be a given.

ModelCitizen
2009-11-06, 22:10
The Boom has backlit buttons. Only the power button is lit when the device is off (and it is suitably dim), but when turned on all the buttons are gently lit up so you can see the icons on them. It works very well indeed.

All through this thread I've used 'snooze' when I really meant 'sleep'. I'm very sorry.

MC

ModelCitizen
2009-11-06, 22:12
I agree with you about the battery, but I have no use for yet another remote.

MC

usch
2009-11-07, 05:50
All through this thread I've used 'snooze' when I really meant 'sleep'.

Got it. But Sleep can be turned off in the Settings -> Sleep menu. At least that's where it is in SqueezePlay (I don't have a hardware Radio). Do you have no "Cancel sleep" entry there while in sleep mode?

ModelCitizen
2009-11-07, 07:04
Got it. But Sleep can be turned off in the Settings -> Sleep menu.

So it can. I'll shut up now and crawl away. Sorry to waste your time.

MC

MelonMonkey
2009-11-07, 23:11
All through this thread I've used 'snooze' when I really meant 'sleep'. I'm very sorry.

After I wrote, I re-read your original post and substituted "sleep" for "snooze" when going through it yet again. It made a lot more sense so I thought perhaps that's what you wanted to say.

In that case, I agree that it should be as simple a procedure as possible to turn off (or even extend) sleep. While I don't yet have a Radio it's definitely on my short-list and short-term to-buy items.

If the default setup for Snooze and Sleep aren't suitable, as mentioned, I really hope they can be tweaked with a plugin, patch or app. I'd like to be able to set a preference for the default sleep duration and also be able to extend it incrementally. For example, 10 minute default with a 10-minute unit extension. So if I want 1 hour I can click sleep 6 times. I can see pressing the central knob being a convenient way to activate sleep and turning off sleep can be as simple as pressing the Power button.

In this case (talking abut sleep and the unit effectively being "on") your point about a backlight also seems a lot more reasonable. At $200 SRP it should have been something quite easy to factor into the design.

With regards to the remote, I don't need an additional one either and I'm all for trying to cut back on waste, it's just that the price point is indicative of a solution where you don't have to purchase additional accessories. Without the remote and battery this really would have been better positioned at $149. I suppose they can drop it to that price in the spring after the holiday shopping season and first round of manufacturing. Maybe they're using a super expensive driver that's keeping the price high. But I've had an inside peek at how a number of other Logitech business units price out their products and margins, so I'm inclined to believe there was some wiggle room here. Since I'm an enthusiast, I'll pick one up at $200 anyway. At $149 I might have been inclined to pick up two.