PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a Controller/Phone/PDA with your left or right hand

pippin
2009-11-05, 01:28
When you are right handed, do you use your right hand to operate your phone/PDA one-handedly?

When you are left handed, which hand do you use?

I'm asking because myself, I'm right handed.
When I use my iPhone/iTouch it's probably 50% one handed and 50% two-handed use. However, I _always_ hold my phone in my left hand so when I use it one-handed, it's actually with the left.

When I use the Controller, it's a bit more split, but I tried to monitor it and it seems I pick it up with the left hand most of the time, but that's probably because I'm used to this from using the phone.

spumanti
2009-11-05, 01:35
Like you i'm right handed.

When using the pda with 1 hand, i mostly use my tight hand, but occasionally i use left hand.

ModelCitizen
2009-11-05, 02:14
I'm right handed and always hold my iPhone in my right hand, controlling an application with a touch of my right thumb (which made iPeng a bit hard to use at first till I got used to it). I use the finger of my left hand if I need to type.

MC

DigitalMitch
2009-11-05, 02:44
Very right handed - but have just checked and naturally tend to pick up any of IR, SBC or Iphone with left hand. That said I can comfortably swap,

I suspect this started, as you suggest, from when I used them two handed and one handed use has developed from the holding hand.

strindberg
2009-11-05, 03:13
I am left handed and always hold my phone/iPod with my right hand. Suppose it's because I prefer tapping with my left hand, and when I use it with only one hand it stays in my right hand.

Mnyb
2009-11-05, 03:21
Controller right hand.

Phone left hand because I use my left ear, have a slight hearing defect in the midrange in my right ear.

I'm right handed.

funkstar
2009-11-05, 03:41
I'm right handed. I use my phone with my left hand.

I think there are two reasons for this. First I keep my phone in my front left pocket, because my wallet goes in my front right. Second when I'm at my desk at home or work, i'll have my right hand on the mouse so the left is free to pick up my phone.

Makes things difficult for some touch functions on my HTC Touch Diamond 2, they are geared up for being right handed.

epoch1970
2009-11-05, 04:06
Lefty here.
When I need to hold the Controller/device and use more fingers than my thumb, I most often hold the device with my right hand.
I rarely type with the right hand. Swapping the gizmo from one hand to the other is faster.

DoomWolf
2009-11-05, 04:56
I'm right handed. I hold my mobile phone, iPod Touch and Controller in my left hand and usually control them one-handed. If controlling with both hands, I hold them in my left hand and type/use controls with my right. If I'm speaking on the phone I hold it with my right hand to my right ear (find it more comfortable).

At home I use my computer mouse with my right hand (right-handed mouse on right-hand side of keyboard), but at work I use my mouse with my left hand (symmetrical mouse on left-hand side of keyboard) due to suffering RSI in my right wrist. I also always carry my bag on my left shoulder and keep my keys in my left front pocket.

That probably makes me sound a bit strange, but I sometimes think I shouldn't be right-handed as I also hold golf clubs left-handed (good job I only play mini-golf ;)) and I have terrible handwriting.

I notice that the poll is currently split exactly 50-50, so it might be that there's no definitive answer.

pippin
2009-11-05, 05:44
I notice that the poll is currently split exactly 50-50, so it might be that there's no definitive answer.

Yes. Probably. To add some more confusion: while moving around the office I noted that since I carry my phone in my left, inner jacket pocket I tend to take it out with my right hand while I'm on my way and then I also use it one-handed using the right hand.

Looks like this is an equal-handed task...

ModelCitizen
2009-11-05, 05:55
I carry my phone in my left, inner jacket pocket I tend to take it out with my right hand while I'm on my way and then I also use it one-handed using the right hand.
I carry mine in my left jeans pocket, take it out with my left hand, transfer it to my right hand and then use it one handed. :-)

MC

aubuti
2009-11-05, 07:20
I can't vote because there's no "other" response. I'm right handed and not particularly ambidextrous, but use the SBC in either hand. I'd say it's about a 60/40 split on left/right handed. On my Blackberry it's probably about the same for keyboard and trackball operations, but almost always the left hand for talking.

pippin
2009-11-05, 07:41
Hm... does anybody know whether I can change the poll to add "both"?

audiomuze
2009-11-05, 08:20
Left-handed, use iPeng in either, probably most often use both - right to hold and left to select. Same with Controller - large library so scrolling the circle wheel with a digit on same hand is way too cumbersome.

Mark Miksis
2009-11-06, 02:13
Hm... does anybody know whether I can change the poll to add "both"?

Done.

david_f1976
2009-11-06, 02:21
I'm right handed for 99% of tasks. I use my phone with my right hand, but use mainly my left hand for one-handed control of my iPod Touch, but can switch without too much trouble to my right hand. Not sure if that helps.

pippin
2009-11-06, 02:24
Done.

Thanks!

Mark Miksis
2009-11-06, 02:42
I"m not a UI designer, but I wonder if the SBC is fundamentally different from something like an iPhone or PDA. Any device with a touchscreen or stylus requires one hand to hold the device and the other to actually perform some action. The beauty of the SBC is you only need one hand. I'm not really sure how that affects my right/left hand preference though :)

dave77
2009-11-06, 02:51
----

dave77
2009-11-06, 02:53
I"m not a UI designer, but I wonder if the SBC is fundamentally different from something like an iPhone or PDA. Any device with a touchscreen or stylus requires one hand to hold the device and the other to actually perform some action. The beauty of the SBC is you only need one hand. I'm not really sure how that affects my right/left hand preference though :)

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm right handed, hold the SBC in my right hand and my NokiaN97 in my left so I can use my right index finger for the screen, if I could use it one handed it would be my right holding it and my thumb on the screen.

pippin
2009-11-06, 03:16

Actually that's where my preference for left-hand use comes from, I believe.
However, it depends on the UI. I find myself using the iPhone one-handed, in this it's different from a stylus-based UI.
I do find gestures important for that since I use it with my thumb and some areas of the screen are difficult to reach with a thumb. That's also why I want to understand, how other people use these devices.

The exception obviously is entering text and that's really not something where the controller excels...
The other exception is that as soon as I use the device for longer, e.g. when building playlists or searching for stuff, I mostly switch to a two-handed mode. But especially for "everyday" use - phone, clock, turning a player on/off, changing volume, it's really also single-handed.

What I still _do_ think is that a big advantage for the Controller are it's hard keys, especially for play/pause.

funkstar
2009-11-06, 06:28
I disagree. other than the rare occasion I need to break out the stylus, I use my Touch Diamond one handed. it's only a little wider than the Controller so reaching from one side to the other with a thumb is easy. The only time it gets difficult is when i'm holding it in landscape and scrolling web pages.

Thinking about it, having watched other poeple use touch screen phones recently (including a lady friend with little hands) most people seem to use their phones one handed, unless the particular action/application requires two hands. There is also the "lay it on a desk and stab at it with a finger" use :)

arztde
2009-11-06, 06:55
a good gui in a pda try to match any ergonomic situation. Any most be there not to exclude someones favourite how to handle the device. I see the sense of the original logitech controler only in the good ergonomic andling and this is the only reason i did bought also a duet. But the PDA solutions are very close to this ergonomic handling. I try for this different HTC mobiles.

dave77
2009-11-06, 08:01
Thinking about it, having watched other poeple use touch screen phones recently (including a lady friend with little hands) most people seem to use their phones one handed, unless the particular action/application requires two hands. There is also the "lay it on a desk and stab at it with a finger" use :)

Depends on a lot of things, size of phone, size of thumb etc. I have a big thumb and an N97 (quite thick) and I don't get the accuracy with one hand