PDA

View Full Version : what happened to my wireless network?

jmsun
2009-11-04, 19:54
The wireless network has been pretty reliable for my Transporter in the last couple of years. Recently I had problem connecting to it (the ethernet works fine). When I try to connect, it either cannot find the network or have trouble connecting to it. I suspect it may have to do with the the firmware update. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

toby10
2009-11-05, 03:19
I'd try network re-boot:
- unplug router (leave unplugged)
- turn off computer (leave off)
- unplug all SB players (leave unplugged)
- turn off any/all devices on the network (leave off)

Now bring your network back up and in this order:
- plug router back in, wait for it to COMPLETELY reboot
- turn computer on, wait for it to COMPLETELY reboot
- Launch SC/SBS, wait till it COMPLETELY loads and is running
- plug SB players back in

Also you might want to check for any nearby networks with the same network name and broadcasting on the same ch #. Change your network name to something unique and change your routers ch # to 1 or 6 or 11 (or 13 in EU), whichever ch # is not in use (or is the weakest signal strength) near you.

jmsun
2009-11-05, 09:49
Thanks for the input. I have a pretty old Linksys router (G-2.4GHz). Will I be better off buying a new/faster router?

mlsstl
2009-11-05, 15:30
You didn't mention how your other wireless devices (laptops, etc.) are working. Bring your laptop into your listening room and sit by the Transporter and see what your signal strength looks like. Your neighbor may have a new wireless device that is closer to your Transporter than your other equipment.

I assume you did the obvious and checked the back of the Transporter for a good antenna connection and position. (And do the same for the router.)

Also, 2.4GHz is a common frequency for phones and other devices so that could be an issue. The other response about trying different channels is also a good idea.

aubuti
2009-11-05, 16:22
Thanks for the input. I have a pretty old Linksys router (G-2.4GHz). Will I be better off buying a new/faster router?
Maybe, maybe not. First make sure that the router firmware is up to date.