PDA

View Full Version : Exporting settings for new squeezebox server install?

pudding
2009-11-04, 16:03
Hi,

Im currently running Ubuntu, and am getting a new PC with Windows 7 tomorrow. Is there a way I can export all my settings and then import them after I install SBserver 7.4 in windows 7, rather than having to install all plugins and set them all up again?

I did come across Settingsmanager plugin, but it doesnt seem to work correctly in 7.4, and when I try and export settings nothing seems to happen?

Thanks.

pski
2009-11-04, 18:14
Hi,

Im currently running Ubuntu, and am getting a new PC with Windows 7 tomorrow. Is there a way I can export all my settings and then import them after I install SBserver 7.4 in windows 7, rather than having to install all plugins and set them all up again?

I did come across Settingsmanager plugin, but it doesnt seem to work correctly in 7.4, and when I try and export settings nothing seems to happen?

Thanks.

Might want to have a look at the vortexbox upgrade installations and adapt the file/path to the differences between your current file and the "newer" version.

Based-on my experience with the linux to linux update, only two files are involved.

As above, please check the instructions for vortexbox for the names of the .conf files.

M'm

P

peterw
2009-11-04, 20:23

SettingsManager only deals with per-player prefs; you would want to transfer your global prefs, too. It's likely you could copy your entire SBS prefs folder and edit the filesystem paths in all the .prefs files.

aubuti
2009-11-04, 20:33
Your SBS prefs are in /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs/server.prefs. The prefs for the plugins are in /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs/plugin/*.prefs.

Although you could also copy the plugins themselves, I recommend installing them via the Extension Downloader, and then applying your old prefs to them. In brief:
1. install SBS on Win7 box
2. install plugins using Extension Downloader
3. stop SBS. This is very important. Don't just close the web ui -- stop SBS completely.
4. copy your old server.prefs over top of the new one
5. copy your old plugin prefs over top of the new ones
6. restart SBS

Also, check to make sure that Win7 reads the prefs files correctly. You may have a problem with the end-of-line characters (lf in Linux, cr/lf in Win). If so you should be able to open them and then re-save in WordPad to convert the EOLs. As always, make sure SBS is stopped when you do any editing or copying of prefs files.

pudding
2009-11-05, 01:55
Thanks Abuti, thats great. And to be sure, to stop the SB service in windows is it a case of right clicking the trasbar icon bottom right and selecting stop down there? Been a while since I used it on windows.

aubuti
2009-11-05, 07:08
Thanks Abuti, thats great. And to be sure, to stop the SB service in windows is it a case of right clicking the trasbar icon bottom right and selecting stop down there? Been a while since I used it on windows.
That sounds right, but I can't tell you for certain because I bet it's been even longer since I have used it on Windows.....

aubuti
2009-11-05, 07:15
One more word of caution: it's a good idea to make sure your Ubuntu SBS is stopped before you start up the Win7 SBS with identical preferences. I made a smooth transition from 7.3.3 to 7.4.0 on my test server, and then when I copied the prefs to my "production" server all kinds of things went haywire with switching players over from one server to the other, because both instances of SBS thought the same players were connected, both servers had the same "library names", etc. After renaming the library name it was possible to restore order, but it was a bit of a surprise after thinking I was so clever to copy over the prefs files!

pudding
2009-11-05, 10:38
Thanks, I dont have to worry about the last problem. Im ditching
Ubuntu and have just built the new PC with Win7 currently installing, so no danger of 2 instances of SBS running thankfully.