PDA

View Full Version : Fix my tags, please.

Bokenrosie
2009-11-02, 10:03
I have a library compiled over years that has all sorts of music in it. I'm trying to create a "All FLAC" server with, you guessed it, all FLAC versions of my music. Is there a utility I can point at my Music Directory that will just "fix" them all?

I would prefer something that runs on Linux as I'm on a Ubuntu box but I can share the directory over to a window box if I need to.

Also, can somebody tell me if I need to keep the cue files in the directories, or rather, if I delete all but the .flac and cover.jpg files what will Squezeserver use to tag?

Thanks,

dkagedal
2009-11-02, 10:11
Exactly what do you want to do? Do you want to convert your mp3 files to FLAC? That wouldn't really make sense.

Or do you want to transfer metadata from some old mp3's to the new shiny flacs that you ripped?

Bokenrosie
2009-11-02, 10:19
No, I would not bring a song or disc over until I could re-rip to FLAC. The problem is that some of the ones that I have not have wacky tags. I'm not sure why they are playing fine on old server but when I move just the files to the new server they seem to not scan right.

For example I have the following directory

\Music
>Jack Johnson
>>Brushfire Fairytales
>>In Between Dreams
>>On and On
>>Sleep through the Static

and yet only two of them show up on Server under My Music -> Artists ->Jack Johnson. I find the others under -> No Artist.

I'm not clear on why this is happening.

radish
2009-11-02, 11:41
Take a look here: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/BeginnersGuide

Lots of info on ripping, tagging, etc - including recommended tools.

snarlydwarf
2009-11-02, 12:26
Depending on your patience... MusicBrainz Picard may do close to what you want.

It uses Audio Fingerprinting to identify tracks. There are some catches:

it may not know all of your tracks. this of course depends on how normal or abnormal your tastes are in relation to other MusicBrainz users.

it may misidentify things (usually this is "getting the right song, but wrong album", like putting it on a Greatest Hits release or some different version of the album).

The first one isnt a big deal: if it doesnt know the song, you're no worse off than before... and.. if it nails one song on an album, it's easy to drag the other tracks into the album to complete it.

The second one isn't a big deal either: it usually finds the right album on some of the tracks, so dragging the others onto the right album isn't that hard either. Sometimes you may need to manually search for the right release, but it's not that bad.

The catch is This Sucks If You Have LOTS of tracks.

So break it up into smaller pieces so your brain doesn't explode: don't analyze your whole library at once, just one artist or two at a time.

See http://musicbrainz.org/ for Picard.

(And, yes, Picard can even get your album art...)

http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Picard_Plugins has some nifty plugins to clean up tags depending on how you feel about the standard MusicBrainz tag style.

Bokenrosie
2009-11-03, 06:43
I'm playing around with Quod Libet and Ex Falso and they are good if you know what to put there. I think the Brianz might be better for me. I want it to pull from a central library the way iTunes used to do it for me.

Roger66
2009-11-04, 05:54
No, I would not bring a song or disc over until I could re-rip to FLAC. The problem is that some of the ones that I have not have wacky tags. I'm not sure why they are playing fine on old server but when I move just the files to the new server they seem to not scan right.

This is a common problem with the latest SBS release, when you have FLAC tags AND IDV3 tags in your files. But it was changed in the latest nightly builds, so now everything should work again as it used to.

A good idea is to rip FLACs in the future only with FLAC tags and *not* with additional IDV3 tags. You can remove the tags by MP3TAG, too. You have to delete the tags and then choose undo. Now you only have the FLAC tags in the files.

Roger

Nonreality
2009-11-10, 23:18
I'd use mp3tag, but it will be a chore. When you are done it will be right.

elstensoftware
2009-11-11, 02:40
Welcome to the world of digital music libraries! I think you're doing the right thing pursuing an all FLAC library.

There's plenty of good software out there for manually editing your library. MP3Tag has been mentioned. Picard too. MediaMonkey is popular and powerful. There are others. They can take a fair bit of work if you have a whole library, and to retain consistency between tagging styles (e.g. remembering what genres you have used) can be a pain to straighten out, but in theory they should do what you need.

Your next level of pain will probably be sorting your tagging in a way your music players (I assume SqueezeX, but you may use others) can understand. There are quite a few subtleties in this, for instance the different ways different players treat compilations.

Oh and then you want album art -> blatant plug (http://musiclibrarymanagement.blogspot.com/2009/10/automatic-album-art-management-with.html).

And then you have to remember to apply all the rules you learnt/decided above when you add new music.

But it's great apart from that, honest! :D

Bokenrosie
2009-11-11, 05:37
Let me know if you need another set of eyes to look at it.

audiomuze
2009-11-11, 10:40
I'd unleash Picard with the album art plugin, followed by Bliss, followed by fine tuning using mp3tag. Mp3tag runs just fine under wine.

Nonreality
2009-11-12, 20:02
Oh and then you want album art -> blatant plug (http://musiclibrarymanagement.blogspot.com/2009/10/automatic-album-art-management-with.html).

And then you have to remember to apply all the rules you learnt/decided above when you add new music.

But it's great apart from that, honest! :D

Bliss looks pretty cool and I could have used it in the past. I might try it out but really don't need it now as I have a pretty easy system I use. Thanks for the plug though. :)

seejaytay
2009-11-19, 07:05
So can this Bliss get the album art as well as it sounds easier to use than Picard?
Also, when is it availabale and what will the cost be?

Thanks

elstensoftware
2009-11-20, 11:38
So can this Bliss get the album art as well as it sounds easier to use than Picard?
Also, when is it availabale and what will the cost be?

Thanks

It's available now: http://www.blisshq.com/download.html

It's free for up to five hundred albums. After that, 10 per extra 1000 albums or 30 for unlimited. This applies forever, for all versions of bliss :)