PDA

View Full Version : Web Interface with control of multiple devices?

twynne
2009-11-01, 06:22
As I'm now up to 5 SB devices, I'm wondering if there's a web interface that makes it easier to interact with all of them at once (ie. without selecting each individually from a drop-down menu to adjust power/volume). I'm thinking of something like the iPeng player screen, but ideally integrated into the standard browser interface.

Depending on what I'm doing at home, I tend to power on different players (generally these are sync'd but I don't want their power states always sync'd). I then adjust the volume of each depending on the source (last.fm for example has to be adjusted to about twice the volume of a local radio station, stored music is also different). I then select a source and play.

It seems this 'flow' could be greatly improved by just displaying all of the basic player controls (at least power and volume) in a single place.

Does any of the existing interfaces (or custom interfaces other than iPeng) do this? Would anyone else find this useful?

Thanks,

Tom

aubuti
2009-11-01, 08:24
It seems this 'flow' could be greatly improved by just displaying all of the basic player controls (at least power and volume) in a single place.

Does any of the existing interfaces (or custom interfaces other than iPeng) do this? Would anyone else find this useful?
As far as I know none of the other SB interfaces will do this, and I agree that it's a good idea. If I'm not mistaken the new remote for the Sonos system does this, at least for player volume.

twynne
2009-11-01, 09:47
Hmmm... well either we're the only 2 interested or it's a slow day on the forums. :-)

I wonder if it's worth submitting the suggestion to the SB guys... not sure what the process is for 'suggestions', do they go via the bugzilla route?

Alternatively maybe a post in the developers forum to see if anyone can assist? I can't imagine something like this would be that difficult to throw together. Clearly integrating in the standard UI is a bit more complex.

Thoughts?

scalesr1
2009-11-01, 09:55
I would like to see something like this - a kind of 'Slim Central' app
handling the basic function of all defined players. Perhaps with individual
control over each player including sync status as well as some master
overall volume/mute capability?

--

Richard Scales

2 x Slimp3, 3 x SB2, 1 x SB3

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of twynne
Sent: 01 November 2009 16:48
To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
Subject: Re: [slim] Web Interface with control of multiple devices?

Hmmm... well either we're the only 2 interested or it's a slow day on
the forums. :-)

I wonder if it's worth submitting the suggestion to the SB guys... not
sure what the process is for 'suggestions', do they go via the bugzilla
route?

Alternatively maybe a post in the developers forum to see if anyone can
assist? I can't imagine something like this would be that difficult to
throw together. Clearly integrating in the standard UI is a bit more
complex.

Thoughts?

--
twynne

2 x Booms, 2 x SB3, 1 x Duet, 1 x SB Radio
------------------------------------------------------------------------
twynne's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=1326
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=70764

twynne
2009-11-01, 10:10
I've raised an enhancement request via bugzilla. If interested please go and add your vote:

https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=15011

aubuti
2009-11-01, 10:46
I wonder if it's worth submitting the suggestion to the SB guys... not sure what the process is for 'suggestions', do they go via the bugzilla route?
Yes, enhancement requests also go to http://bugs.slimdevices.com/. It's a good idea to label it clearly as an enhancement request. If you haven't already registered at bugs.slimdevices.com you have to do so before posting -- it's a different login than the forums. It might also be worth posting something in the 3rd Party Plugin forum, as this is the kind of thing an outside developer might possibly do via plugin, or more likely, a SqueezeOS applet.