PDA

View Full Version : Noise when playing nothing

Campus
2009-10-31, 09:42
Hi,

today I received my Radio and I have a problem with the speaker. When nothing plays and the Radio is turned on (waiting in the main menu for example) and I hold my ears near the speaker I can hear a noise coming from the speaker. This noise is not noticeable when something plays but it's still a little disappointing because I want to use it on my nightstand and that's pretty close to my ear. Is that normal for this device or is my Radio just broken?

Thanks for your help,
Campus

mule
2009-10-31, 12:37
I do hear this noise too, but only if i hold my ears less then 10 cm near the speaker. So it is impossible for me to hear anything when lying on the bed and therefore it is no problem for me at all.

To answer your question: Yes this noise seems to be normal for the Radios.

TheMule!

Campus
2009-10-31, 12:48
Thanks for this information. This really is disappointing seeing the price tag of the Radio. Is it that hard to build something that simply works nicely without a hitch here and there?

Maybe someone owning a Boom can tell us whether the Boom has the same problem.

Thanks,
Campus

bpa
2009-10-31, 13:40
Talk to support - I can hear a faint hiss only when my ear is pressed against the speaker cover so it seems my unit is v. much quieter than yours. I have a beta unit so it may be different to production. The v. faint hiss is there even if volume is muted.

peterw
2009-11-08, 10:29
FYI, there's been discussion of hissing in another thread, too: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=483053#post483053

aubuti
2009-11-08, 19:37
Thanks for this information. This really is disappointing seeing the price tag of the Radio. Is it that hard to build something that simply works nicely without a hitch here and there?

Maybe someone owning a Boom can tell us whether the Boom has the same problem.
My SB Radio is a pre-production unit (PB1), so my experience may not apply to your case. I can hear a hiss if I press it to my ear, but can't hear it from 20cm away. I sleep right next to it and never noticed it before. Kind of like "hearing the ocean" from a seashell. I stuck my ear next to my Boom and didn't hear any hiss or other sound at all.