PDA

View Full Version : DS209... or stick with what I have?

pablolie
2009-10-31, 08:44
Hi fellow SB people...

I just bought a Synology DS209 as an overdue update to my home media storage, along with 2 Samsung 1.5T eco drives. I plan on running it as a RAID 1.

But upon looking at the documentation more, I see that the DS209 does support Squeezecenter (probably not SBS yet, or perhaps they just haven't updated the terminology). Which leaves me wondering...

1. Should I migrate my S-server to the DS209 and away from my current Linux box?

I do want a responsive interface, and as much reliability as I can get. And while power consumption ranks very highly, my current environment is very optimized for that already, so saving another 10W is not a top priority.

I would appreciate some opinions, experiences, and pointers.

raven22
2009-10-31, 11:55
If SBS does not run satisfactorily on your DS-209, you can consider a Sheeva plugcomputer ($99) to run your SBS and leave the musicfiles on the DS-209. The Sheevaplug consumes only 3 watt and delivers good performance (1,2 Ghz processor and 512mb ram).
Search this forum for more info on a Sheeva.

TheLastMan
2009-11-10, 10:38
Hi fellow SB people...

I just bought a Synology DS209 as an overdue update to my home media storage, along with 2 Samsung 1.5T eco drives. I plan on running it as a RAID 1.

But upon looking at the documentation more, I see that the DS209 does support Squeezecenter (probably not SBS yet, or perhaps they just haven't updated the terminology).

The 209 has plenty enough power to run SqueezeCenter, in fact Synology issue a "package" which is a bespoke version of SqueezeCenter that can be installed with one click on your Synology NAS using their "Package Manager". It is ludicrously easy so there is no reason not to do it really. You will need to update to the latest NAS firmware to do this however.

It takes Synology a couple of months to issue their own version after Logitech issue the revised server software. Currently they are on 7.3.3 which is extremely stable. You will have to wait if you want 7.4.

Details here:
http://www.synology.com/support/download.php?lang=enu&m=DS209
(towards the bottom of the page).

There is nothing to stop you running the SC package on the 209 in parallel with your installation on the Linux box. You can just change which server you use from the web interface or using the Controller if you have one.

Once you have tested it you can either leave it on permanently or uninstall it if the Linux installation suits you better.

iPhone
2009-11-10, 12:42
My two cents: Stick with the Shuttle and Ubuntu is my opinion. If you just have to upgrade, build a new dedicated PC/Server or buy a Vortexbox.