PDA

View Full Version : I've just got it. I have the best music system in the world.

ModelCitizen
2009-10-30, 15:09
* A Boom with sub in the kitchen/diner... much bigger sound than you'd believe possible.
* A Radio in the main bedroom - just right for alarms, room/bedside listening, insomniacs, headphones et al.
* Receiver in the 8yr old sons bedroom. Small, vomit resistant and controllable by adults.
* Transporter (SB+) in the lounge (direct into high quality power amp and speakers) for critical listening.
* Touch in study... as yet I have no idea where this is going to finally rest... but it is currently useful for controlling music via main workstation connected hifi whilst working (Squeezeplay would really be the player I'd expect to use in the study but it is currently in need of some further development).

With this set up, a well tagged ReplayGained, MusicIP'd and artworked local library, long term Last.fm subscription and all the useful (and also erroneous) services offered by Logitech via the Apps library stuff I'm well made up.

And then there's the luxury of the (unbelievably good) third party plugins (new thread required).

The whole thing is pretty damn magic really.

MC

Ikabob
2009-10-30, 21:43
That does sound like an awesome setup. I love my set up too. I do have a void when entering one area. This is going to be the location of the Touch.

Can you tell me one thing , how does last.fm work and why do you like it? I just don't know it's features. Thanks.

ModelCitizen
2009-10-30, 22:55
I forgot the two controllers and iPeng on my iPhone. I also forgot to mention Triode's wonderful BBC iPlayer plugin (did I mention that the BBC, and specifically Radios 4 and 7, is probably one of the world's greatest assets?). I also forgot to mention that I have a library of nearly 2000 albums held in flac format, all correctly tagged and including artwork and bios and reviews written to the Comments tag.

I think it might be the iPhone and iPeng that has really brought my whole system to it's current staggeringly high pinnacle of greatness. That and (almost prosaically), Triode's Switch Player plugin, which allows me to walk from toom to room taking my current playlist with me (with no need for fiddling around with Logitech's awfully cludgy sync implementation).

When summer comes I am really going to appreciate the Radio with it's battery pack too.

Can you tell me one thing, how does last.fm work and why do you like it?
Every song I've 'chosen' to listen to over the last 5 or 6 years has been logged by Last.fm. It knows what music I like better than my wife does! I only use some of it's facilities though.... in order of preference;

My Loved Tracks. When I come across a track I really like I tell Last.fm I love it (via a Controller or iPeng). I now have over 500 loved tracks. When I just want to listen to unabashed good music I play My Loved Tracks radio.

Others peoples Loved Tracks. Usually very listenable even if you don't share the other person's taste in music. Especially good with Friends (people you have some sort of relationship with) or Neighbours (those that Last.fm recognise as having tastes 'similar' to your own). I think you need to be a paid subscriber to get this facility.

Neighbours Radio. Tracks liked by people with similar tastes to your own (good for being pretty sure you'll like the music and for suggesting new music that there is a high probability you'll like). Neighbours are ranked in 'closeness' of music taste to your own.

Music Like an Artist Radio. Choose an artist and Last.fm will play music by artists it thinks are similar to these (judging by the other the music played by Last.fm subscribers who listen a lot to your selected band i think). We use this a lot at work to set the mood. It always seems to play the best (most popular?) tracks by any artist.

There's lots more too (Tag Radio, yours and others Playlists, My Radio etc, etc) it's just that I don't use them so much.

I find it very good for presentimg me with new (and often surprising) music. Did I mention that it is also a repository of tons of information about the bands and music, all of which can be reached via the various Squeeze devices?

Last.fm is the only paid music service I use. I only pay (the paltry amount they charge) to be able to play Loved Tracks. I think all the other facilities I use are open to those that don't pay. MusicIP is the only other service I know of that I'd consider paying for.

MC

havoc1
2009-10-31, 00:29
What kind of sub do you have on your Boom, Modelcitizen?

ModelCitizen
2009-10-31, 00:50
What kind of sub do you have on your Boom, Modelcitizen?
I bought the one recommended by Caleb Crome (Senior Hardware Engineer Logitech SMBU and the guy responsible for the design of the sound of the Boom), the Logitech Z4 (http://www.testfreaks.co.uk/pc-speakers/logitech-z-4/). It's a 2.1 system but I use the speakers for my PC and only use the woofer with my Boom.

I am sure you could pay more and get better quality, but at the price (mine cost 50 UK Pounds from Amazon) the woofer works very well with the Boom, greatly expanding the sound. The only annoying thing is the exceptionally bright purple light on the controller, but a bit of masking tape soon cured that.

MC

Ikabob
2009-10-31, 04:39
MC, Thanks for your thorough summary regarding last.fm,
One question, can last.fm only be played with SBS? I trying to use it on msb. Com and nothing plays. Thanks.

toby10
2009-10-31, 05:45
Yes, all Apps are usable on both SBS and MySB.
I presume you created a free account on www.Last.fm?
Last.fm login details entered onto MySB.com in Last.fm App?
You might need to "activate" SqueezeBox as an application within your Last.fm online account. It's been soooo long since I setup Last.fm for my players I just can't remember.

Ikabob
2009-11-03, 09:07
Yes, I did create an account with last.fm. Is there a difference between the free acount and the subscriber account? The Last.fm app seems to be a very worthwhile app and one that I might be interested in having all the ammenities. Thanks. I cannot believe how cool the Squeeze stuff is. I love it! I want to understand everything about it...tagging???,Squeezeslave???many other things.

snarlydwarf
2009-11-03, 09:28
Yes, I did create an account with last.fm. Is there a difference between the free acount and the subscriber account? The Last.fm app seems to be a very worthwhile app and one that I might be interested in having all the ammenities. Thanks. I cannot believe how cool the Squeeze stuff is. I love it! I want to understand everything about it...tagging???,Squeezeslave???many other things.

http://www.last.fm/subscribe shows the differences.

The main one that matters: "listen to stations of music you’ve loved or tagged."

(why that's in the small print, I don't know...)

toby10
2009-11-04, 04:11
Yes, I did create an account with last.fm. Is there a difference between the free acount and the subscriber account? ......

The only difference is content. Both types of Last.fm accounts work fine on both SBS and MySB.