PDA

View Full Version : Digital out of Touch vs Transporter

gsawdy
2009-10-30, 09:49
I may be mistaken, but my recollection is that the general consensus of the boards is that if one is going to use an external DAC there is no difference sound quality-wise between the SB3 and the Transporter. (Ignoring the neat Displays and the 96k sample rate of the Transporter.)

Now there seems to be a number of posts that suggest the Touch's digital output is better than the SB3's. OKAY, if that is so it must be that the Touch's digital out is better than the Transporter's Or someone's hearing is off!

Are any of you Beta testers in a position to test the Touch vs Transporter as digital source? What do you think?

TIA, George

PS, This question comes up because of the lowered Transporter prices on Audiogon.

Themis
2009-10-30, 10:28
The digital out of the TP is better than the one of the SB3. This can be measured. The digital out specs of the Touch are between the SB and the TP.

The general consensus is that the differences are not audible to the vast majority of users.

gsawdy
2009-11-02, 04:50
The digital out of the TP is better than the one of the SB3. This can be measured. The digital out specs of the Touch are between the SB and the TP.

The general consensus is that the differences are not audible to the vast majority of users.

Thank you, Themis. I take by the lack of further response that there is general agreement with your summary. Can you point me to a link where the jitter specs/tests are available for the various Squeezeboxen.

Thank you for your reply, George

PS it appears that mods can't delete bum threads---odd!

radish
2009-11-02, 08:26
PS it appears that mods can't delete bum threads---odd!
Certainly can. Which thread are you referring to?

radish
2009-11-02, 08:27
Never mind - found it.

iPhone
2009-11-02, 10:15
Are any of you Beta testers in a position to test the Touch vs Transporter as digital source? What do you think?

Yes, the Transporter is better. But is it worth the extra $1000 plus for the better just to feed an external DAC, I think that is in the ear of the listener.

The fact that the Touch will do 24/96 Native really closes the gap as to which to use as a digital transport. The Touch is better then the SB3/Duet but not as good as the Transporter. If it were me and I was ONLY going to feed a DAC, I would buy the Touch for the digital transport and put the other $1000 into the external DAC.

The Transporter is a great digital transport with a wonderful DAC. If one is using or needs the analog (especially the XLR Balanced) outs, then the Transporter is the way to go in my opinion.

stevege
2009-11-26, 08:31
Guys, this is my first post in this forum; have been following the forum for quite some time though. Living in an apartment in China, with a studying teenager in the house and frequently having guests staying over, a possible solution which would let me enjoy my vast jazz collection (flac files stored on a QNAP TS-209 Pro II) a bit better would be to invest in an audiophile headphone system. I'm currently enjoying my Duet and Boom but it's becoming time to upgrade as it looks I'll be staying here for quite some more time. So I'm contemplating acquiring HeadRoom's balanced UDAC/BUDA, power supply and a Balanced Fat Pipe Upgraded AKG K702. Related to this thread: shall I get a Transporter or Touch to transport the data? It looks like the answer is the Touch (using the coax) based on what I've read in this forum? But what I do not understand yet, does it make sense to have 2 DAC's? Won't the first DAC determine quality? Leaving out the UDAC and replacing the Touch with a Transporter would cost slightly more. Remarks/advice/comments welcome ... I still have quite a lot to learn.

Phil Leigh
2009-11-26, 11:09
shall I get a Transporter or Touch to transport the data? It looks like the answer is the Touch (using the coax) based on what I've read in this forum? But what I do not understand yet, does it make sense to have 2 DAC's? Won't the first DAC determine quality? Leaving out the UDAC and replacing the Touch with a Transporter would cost slightly more. Remarks/advice/comments welcome ... I still have quite a lot to learn.
Welcome.

There may be 2 Dacs (1 in the UDAC and 1 in the TP or Touch) but you are only going to be using the UDAC one... and no, the other DAC (that you are not using) will not impact or determine quality.

jazznsoccer
2009-12-09, 18:57
I thought both the transporter and the touch can take files up to 24 bit 96 KHz (server will downsample 24/192 to 24/96 so can access highest res files) and pass 24/96 out of the digital output. Is this correct?

If so, then they should have equal quality to an external DAC....

Phil Leigh
2009-12-09, 23:34
I thought both the transporter and the touch can take files up to 24 bit 96 KHz (server will downsample 24/192 to 24/96 so can access highest res files) and pass 24/96 out of the digital output. Is this correct?

1) Correct
2) If only life were that simple...

iPhone
2009-12-10, 09:54

Yes they both do 24/96 native, but just as the Touch Digital Coax is better then an SB3, the Transporter is still better then the Touch in my opinion. Probably comes down to jitter and better power supplies.

jazznsoccer
2009-12-19, 17:34
Has anyone seen the jitter specs? For a good DAC like Benchmark Dac1 Pre, the jitter will not have to be too good as the Dac will compensate. The power supply is not likely to have a significant impact for this application either.

My use will be to have the Touch transfer data for the PC over the WiFi network and deliver to Benchmark DAC1 or Arcam FMJ AV8 as the pre themn to Parasound JC1 monoblocks and then to B&W 802D.

This should make for very clean digital system and opens up the ability to downlaod and play high res digital tracks from Linn, HDTracks, etc.

sxr71
2009-12-19, 19:18
I'd have to say to buy a transporter just for its ability to feed a DAC would be among the lower things in the totem pole to put your money towards. I would upgrade my headphones, my amp and my DAC first.

pfarrell
2009-12-19, 19:23
jazznsoccer wrote:
> Has anyone seen the jitter specs? For a good DAC like Benchmark Dac1
> Pre, the jitter will not have to be too good as the Dac will compensate.
> The power supply is not likely to have a significant impact for this
> application either.

The specs are reported to be good, the implementation is reported to be
very good. Its not clear that even a good external DAC such as the
Benchmark (and I have one) is going to be a real improvement over the
Touch itself.

Its a real improvement over the Classic in many ways.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/