PDA

View Full Version : Touch as server

dave77
2009-10-30, 08:25
When I get a Touch i'd like to use it as a server and attach my 500Gb HD to it so I can do away with my current SBS.

Some questions!
Will my Boom see the Touch and be able to play music from it (i'm sure I read it can but the spec isn't clear)
Assuming the above is yes....
Will the Touch need to be on for the Boom to access music or will it work if the Touch is on standby?
Can the Touch display/rotate images when in standby?
I understand I will be able to map a drive on my PC to access the Touch to add new music, how do I then re-scan as there is no web interface?

Finally, The Touch will replace my SB3, as present both Boom and SB3 are wireless and my SBS is wired to the router. When I lose the SBS, would it be best to wire the Touch so that the Boom will not need to make 2 'hops' to get to the music, eg Boom ---> Router ---> Touch

andyg
2009-10-30, 08:51
On Oct 30, 2009, at 11:25 AM, dave77 wrote:

>
> When I get a Touch i'd like to use it as a server and attach my
> 500Gb HD
> to it so I can do away with my current SBS.
>
> Some questions!
> Will my Boom see the Touch and be able to play music from it (i'm sure
> I read it can but the spec isn't clear)

Yep.

> Assuming the above is yes....
> Will the Touch need to be on for the Boom to access music or will it
> work if the Touch is on standby?
> Can the Touch display/rotate images when in standby?

There is no such thing as standby.

> I understand I will be able to map a drive on my PC to access the
> Touch
> to add new music, how do I then re-scan as there is no web interface?

Rescan will be automatic as soon as you drop new files on the share.

aubuti
2009-10-30, 09:08
But there is "off", which like most of the SBs, doesn't really turn it completely off. Does TinySC keep serving if you turn the SBT "off" via the button on the upper left of the screen? I would think so, but I haven't tried it yet.

dave77
2009-10-30, 09:15

So the Touch will need to be turned on before other players see it?

But there is "off", which like most of the SBs, doesn't really turn it completely off. Does TinySC keep serving if you turn the SBT "off" via the button on the upper left of the screen? I would think so, but I haven't tried it yet.

yeah that's what I meant by standby, like when I power off the Boom and it displays the time/screensaver

andyg
2009-10-30, 09:17
On Oct 30, 2009, at 12:15 PM, dave77 wrote:

>
> andyg;479578 Wrote:
>> There is no such thing as standby.
>
> So the Touch will need to be turned on before the Boom will see it?

If by on you mean plugged in, yes. But TinySC will still be running
if you turn it "off" as in, to clock mode.

dave77
2009-10-30, 09:23
If by on you mean plugged in, yes. But TinySC will still be running
if you turn it "off" as in, to clock mode.

That's good :)

In that same "off" mode, ahem standby :), can the Touch rotate images from the attached HD as a screensaver?

andyg
2009-10-30, 09:30
On Oct 30, 2009, at 12:23 PM, dave77 wrote:

>
> andyg;479591 Wrote:
>>
>> If by on you mean plugged in, yes. But TinySC will still be running
>> if you turn it "off" as in, to clock mode.
>
> That's good :)
>
> In that same "off" mode, ahem standby :), can the Touch rotate images
> from the attached HD as a screensaver?

It wouldn't be hard to add.

aubuti
2009-10-30, 09:48
It wouldn't be hard to add.
In fact, erland already has written the "Album Flow" plugin that works quite well, though there are still some bugs to be squashed: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=68376.

fairyliquidizer
2009-10-31, 03:46
How is the performance of the Touch as a server? Will I notice any lag on the interface for example? I would like to move away from using my PC as a server.

dave77
2009-10-31, 10:25
In fact, erland already has written the "Album Flow" plugin that works quite well, though there are still some bugs to be squashed: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=68376.

That looks good but I was thinking more photos than album art

aubuti
2009-10-31, 11:23
That looks good but I was thinking more photos than album art
Already done and available on the SBC and SB Radio as well as the SB Touch. There's the flickr plugin for grabbing photos (yours or other people's) off the internet, or locally stored photos from the Image Viewer option.

dave77
2009-10-31, 11:56
Perfect :)

Finally, The Touch will replace my SB3, as present both Boom and SB3 are wireless and my SBS is wired to the router. When I lose the SBS, would it be best to wire the Touch so that the Boom will not need to make 2 'hops' to get to the music, eg Boom ---> Router ---> Touch

Any comments on this?

aubuti
2009-10-31, 14:44
Any comments on this?
Depends. Some people have no problem with double hops on regular SBS, and I would expect that it would be the same for 'TinySC' on the SB Touch. Of course, it certainly can't hurt to wire the SBT.

dave77
2009-11-03, 04:49
cheers for that, I'll give it a try when it arrives.

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to map a drive on the Touch so that it's internal SBS can access a NAS drive, or can it only use USB?

aubuti
2009-11-03, 05:42
cheers for that, I'll give it a try when it arrives.

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to map a drive on the Touch so that it's internal SBS can access a NAS drive, or can it only use USB?
I'm pretty sure this can be done. You would need to ssh in to the SBT and issue the correct mount commands to logically mount the NAS as a filesystem on the SBT. Others have said that scanning in this configuration would likely be very slow.

slimfast
2009-11-03, 10:52
Any comments on this?

It's always better if at least one of the client/server combo is wired, preferably the server. Once you start going to two wireless transfers then any problems in transfer speed or congestion are very quickly shown up.

Definitely if you ever add further clients or will be using the server at the same time for other things, wire it to the router if at all possible.

Brasso
2009-11-06, 04:14
Hi, I've only just registered and this is my first post. I've read the previous posts with interest but can't say I understand all the content. I too am awaiting a Touch (although I received an email for Logitech Customer Services today saying there is a delay and it wont be available until spring).

I have a Boom, Classic and Duet and use Ipeng on an IPod all running wirelessly from a Wanadoo Livebox. My PC has run out of space. I intend to use mostly FLAC with some mp3s. I want to move to a system without using my PC so I've looked at NAS drives. It appears there are great value drives that can't run the SB server (or it's very difficult to set it up) or there are more expensive drives that can run the server (lot of cpu power needed?).

The Touch appears to be the solution. Finally here's my questions. Could I attach a NAS to my router so that the Touch(wireless) can access my music library and act as server for all my SBs? Are there any drawbacks with this?

If I can do that I'm tempted to buy a NAS and continue to run the server on my PC (despite what may be a long wait). If there may be issues with my suggestion then I may as well look for a NAS that can run the server now (or other alternatives I've seen and need to research).

Any comments or advice will be gratefully received (including NAS recommendations).

dave77
2009-11-06, 04:29
The Touch appears to be the solution. Finally here's my questions. Could I attach a NAS to my router so that the Touch(wireless) can access my music library and act as server for all my SBs? Are there any drawbacks with this?

That's been answered above, yes you can but the drawbacks may/will be all the extra wireless hops if you're moving from a PC/NAS wired to the router.

When did you get an email saying it's been delayed? I've got one on order but not had that email

Brasso
2009-11-06, 13:50
Thanks for your reply Dave77. I didn't make it clear that my PC is not currently wired to the router so does that mean I'd have the same number of wireless 'hops' if I replace the PC with a Touch to run the server?

In my simplistic view - now if I want to change the track playing on my Boom I use Ipeng and the signals go as follows: Ipeng to Router, Router to PC (server), server tells PC to send next track from HD to Router, Router sends it to Boom.
With a Touch: Touch(server) to Router, server tells Router to send next track from NAS to Boom.
I guess its not that simple!

Regarding the Touch delay - I received the email today but it was not a general email - it was at the end of dialogue about confusion over the order and a mix up with customer services. The exact words were "You can just order again from us once the product is available, which would be on Spring as the release have been moved" I replied to check and they said ""It would be available next Spring. It was supposed to be launched last month but it was delayed."

So I guess I have a long wait and should look for another way to remove the dependency on my PC - I'll start reading as many forums as I can but if anyone has any recommendations thanks in advance.

usch
2009-11-06, 14:04
Touch(server) to Router, server tells Router to send next track from NAS to Boom.
I guess its not that simple!

It isn't. The route would be "Touch pulls next track from NAS over the router, and sends it back over the router to Boom", while the current route is "Server sends next track from local drive to Boom". The extra hop comes from server and audio storage being on different network devices.

realmassy
2009-12-12, 04:47
I currently use a duet and an external HD attached to my server: file system is EXT3. What about the Touch? Will I be able to plug my drive without formatting to FAT or NTFS? Thanks.