PDA

View Full Version : PC Mag Review of Radio -- is this true what the review says?

eap
2009-10-30, 08:19
Regarding the alarm, the review states:

"It's a bit strange that you can't wake to an Internet radio station or, say, Pandora." You can only wake to your own music or sound effects.

Is that true? I thought that while you were playing a stream (be it Pandora, Sirius or any Internet radio station), you could press and hold a pre-set button and then once saved to a pre-set button you could set that as your alarm? Or you could save it as a favorite and make that your alarm?

Or is it true what PC Mag says, that you can't wake to an Internet radio station? Here's a link to the review:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2354904,00.asp

I was thinking of buying this to wake up to Howard Stern on Sirius or some other Internet radio. So what's the real deal?

andyg
2009-10-30, 08:32
It's wrong, you can set an alarm to be a favorite.

eap
2009-10-30, 08:45

What about one of the 6 preset buttons -- can you wake to one of those (or is that really the same as a favorite)?

In other words, I'm listening to Sirius's Grateful dead station, I press preset 1 and hold, so that particular Sirius station is now preset button one. Will the alarm settings now allow me to set that with doing anything further, or do I have to save it also as a favorite by choosing the more button while playing the station?

andyg
2009-10-30, 08:47
I am not sure presets can be set as alarms, that was an oversight and can be fixed at some point.

JJZolx
2009-10-30, 11:31

And if that roundabout way of doing things hasn't struck anyone at Logitech as "odd" then you need a new bunch of interface designers.

FredFredrickson
2009-10-30, 13:09
I put a sirius channel in a playlist, then saved the playlist in squeezecenter. Then I set that playlist as my alarm. You can do that to play just about anything in an alarm, I believe.

eap
2009-10-30, 14:42
And if that roundabout way of doing things hasn't struck anyone at Logitech as "odd" then you need a new bunch of interface designers.

I can understand how an alarm needs to be "sticky" --- ie a favorite or a playlist. Otherwise, that would allow you to choose from thousands of Internet radio stations and the like. Probably software-wise, not an easy thing to do.

autopilot
2009-10-30, 14:53

Why is it odd? Would you want to search/scroll through thusands of internet radio stations every time you want to see an alarm? Makes more sense to use favourites to me.

The fact that Squeezeboxserver and MySqueezebox.com hold two different lists of favourites with no easy way to chose which one to use; now that's ODD.

JJZolx
2009-10-30, 15:00
Why is it odd? Would you want to search/scroll through thusands of internet radio stations every time you want to see an alarm? Makes more sense to use favourites to me.

Under 'Internet Radio', do you have to "search through thousands" of stations to play one? No. They're in a hierarchy that can be navigated, otherwise it would be useless.

Favorites as one option for alarms is good. Not being able to set a radio station makes no sense. Not having access to Pandora stations, Slacker or other music services makes no sense.

dean
2009-10-30, 15:02
On Oct 30, 2009, at 3:00 PM, JJZolx wrote:
> autopilot;479739 Wrote:
>> Why is it odd? Would you want to search/scroll through thusands of
>> internet radio stations every time you want to see an alarm? Makes
>> more
>> sense to use favourites to me.
>
> Under 'Internet Radio', do you have to "search through thousands" of
> stations to play one? No. They're in a hierarchy that can be
> navigated, otherwise it would be useless.
>
> Favorites as one option for alarms is good. Not being able to set a
> radio station makes no sense. Not having access to Pandora stations,
> Slacker or other music services makes no sense.

Ok, can you describe exactly how it would work?

JJZolx
2009-10-30, 15:24

Setting a radio station as an alarm sound? In the 'Alarm Sound' list, add 'Internet Radio' and present the same tree of radio stations available on the Home menu.

dean
2009-10-30, 15:26
On Oct 30, 2009, at 3:24 PM, JJZolx wrote:

>
> dean;479745 Wrote:
>> Ok, can you describe exactly how it would work?
>
> Setting a radio station as an alarm sound? In the 'Alarm Sound' list,
> add 'Internet Radio' and present the same tree of radio stations
> available on the Home menu.

And when you navigate all the way down to a station and choose it, it
adds it to the alarm?

My concern with this is the potential confusion with re-creating the
whole interface for all stations (and any music, by extension). Seems
like one would get lost, but you'd need to test it to make sure.

JJZolx
2009-10-30, 15:32
Seems like one would get lost, but you'd need to test it to make sure.

Why would you get any more lost there than when trying to find and play a radio station?

kdf
2009-10-30, 15:44
>
> On Oct 30, 2009, at 3:24 PM, JJZolx wrote:
>
>>
>> dean;479745 Wrote:
>>> Ok, can you describe exactly how it would work?
>>
>> Setting a radio station as an alarm sound? In the 'Alarm Sound' list,
>> add 'Internet Radio' and present the same tree of radio stations
>> available on the Home menu.
>
> And when you navigate all the way down to a station and choose it, it
> adds it to the alarm?
>
> My concern with this is the potential confusion with re-creating the
> whole interface for all stations (and any music, by extension). Seems
> like one would get lost, but you'd need to test it to make sure.

My concern would be if you re-enter the setting with the idea of
determining what the current setting is. The complex tree means you have
to search that much more. The use of favourites keeps it to a manageable
level. It's not like favourites have a limited number, and implemented
correctly, any url should be able to be a favourite. The idea of making
everything available everywhere just doesn't sit well with me as a
usability gain.

-k

gdpeck
2009-10-30, 15:50
>
> On Oct 30, 2009, at 3:24 PM, JJZolx wrote:
>
>>
>> dean;479745 Wrote:
>>> Ok, can you describe exactly how it would work?
>>
>> Setting a radio station as an alarm sound? In the 'Alarm Sound' list,
>> add 'Internet Radio' and present the same tree of radio stations
>> available on the Home menu.
>
> And when you navigate all the way down to a station and choose it, it
> adds it to the alarm?
>
> My concern with this is the potential confusion with re-creating the
> whole interface for all stations (and any music, by extension). Seems
> like one would get lost, but you'd need to test it to make sure.

My concern would be if you re-enter the setting with the idea of
determining what the current setting is. The complex tree means you have
to search that much more. The use of favourites keeps it to a manageable
level. It's not like favourites have a limited number, and implemented
correctly, any url should be able to be a favourite. The idea of making
everything available everywhere just doesn't sit well with me as a
usability gain.

-k

This is my concern with the whole alarm setting method. You shouldn't have to re-enter to determine the current setting, but you do. This is the case even without the thousands of internet radio station options added. So with the current structure, I agree that limiting radio station choices to favorites is OK. However, I really think that the entire structure should be changed so that you can see at a glance what you currently have set. Once that's in place, anything you can select ought to be in play for alarm choices.

peterw
2009-10-30, 16:15

Context menu ->
Use for alarm ->
#1 (7:30 am Mon, Tue) ->
#2 (7:45 am Wed) ->
... Etc. ...
New Alarm ->

eap
2009-10-30, 18:50
Under 'Internet Radio', do you have to "search through thousands" of stations to play one? No. They're in a hierarchy that can be navigated, otherwise it would be useless.

Favorites as one option for alarms is good. Not being able to set a radio station makes no sense. Not having access to Pandora stations, Slacker or other music services makes no sense.

Can't you set a Pandora or Slacker "station" as a favorite?

bluegaspode
2009-10-31, 10:46

I was also very confused the first time I tried to create an alarm with a given radio-station.

I think three things just troubled me:

I had all my favourite radio-stations configured as a preset (not as a favourite). At that time I didn't know of favourites-feature and the 6 presets were my favourites. Why couldn't I choose them ?
If you don't have any favourite at all (not uncommon when you start with your radio) and you set an alarm (one of the first things you try after having played with some streams), you only get the following options to choose
- many alarm sounds you cannot prelisten *AARGGHHHH*
- the current playlist (why would I want to have this as an alarm sound ? I even don't know what will be the last thing I'm listening today)

You don't get the option to select a favourite as an alarm sound if you don't have one. That's why most people (and testers as in the PC mag) will oversee it and you can't expect them to guess that there could be a hidden alarm-sound-feature.
there is no manual for the radio explaining simple thing like setting an alarm to your favourite radiostations.

So this makes a very annoying first time alarm experience of the thingy you bought as an alarm clock.

So if I was product-owner I'd change the following 'simple' things:

when selecting an alarm sound always show the option 'favourites'. If one hasn't favourites give 'em a nice message how they can add a favourite (i.e. pressing this '+' button when your favourite song or radiostation is playing)
make all stuff that is put on a preset button available as alarm sound