PDA

View Full Version : Auto dimming changed and too dim

DigitalMitch
2009-10-30, 08:10
Recently, and possibly around the time of 7.4.1, the auto-dimming of my Radio permanently makes the display very dim (i.e. for the darkest room).

Tried switching between auto and manual control with no joy.

Just did a hold + power cycle to reset to factory defaults and its now behaving, so I'm happy but curious.

Any idea what could have caused this?
I'll watch and post if it recurs.

l.pinguin
2009-10-30, 08:34
Hi All,

2009/10/30 DigitalMitch
<DigitalMitch.40vkm01256915526 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:
>
> Recently, and possibly around the time of 7.4.1, the auto-dimming of my
> Radio permanently makes the display very dim (i.e. for the darkest
> room).
>
> Tried switching between auto and manual control with no joy.
>
> Just did a hold + power cycle to reset to factory defaults and its now
> behaving, so I'm happy but curious.
>
> Any idea what could have caused this?
> I'll watch and post if it recurs.

I would prefer a configurable darkest dim setting, since for one
person it is too dim, and for the other too light...

Remy

ModelCitizen
2009-10-30, 08:46
I think the display brightness needs some work. I've set mine to automatic but it is too bright at night in the off state and at some levels of ambient light the brightness continually adjusts itself, fading up and down (although it's not a smooth, gradual fading but a series of jerky steps in the level brilliance).

Is there a bug logged for this yet?

I'm on 7.4.1

MC

fcm4711
2009-10-30, 11:02
Hi there

We are currently working on improving the auto-dimming for the upcoming Squeezebox Touch and we are experimenting with a minimal brightness setting. If it works ok Squeezebox Radio will get the same minimal setting.

See also: https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11851

Cheers
Felix

toby10
2009-10-30, 13:01
It would be great to set different dimming levels per screen display as well. i.e. Different dim/brightness levels for Now Playing, When Paused, When Stopped, etc..

I prefer Now Playing to always be very bright, but then the clock display (when I'm not streaming) is too bright.

FredFredrickson
2009-10-30, 13:14
I like how dark the touch gets at night, but then in the morning, it never gets bright again. I can't see it all day. I have to get close and squint to set it back to manual!

Mark Miksis
2009-10-30, 21:04
The Boom used to have settings that allowed users to configure both the slope and the intercept of the dimming equation. I don't have one connected right now, so I'm not sure if that's still in there...

ModelCitizen
2009-10-30, 23:30
The Boom used to have settings that allowed users to configure both the slope and the intercept of the dimming equation. I don't have one connected right now, so I'm not sure if that's still in there...

It does... but the most useful setting is the ability to set the minimum brightness. It is encouraging to see this will be included for the Radio too. (Less urgently the Radio also needs the sensitivity and less-than-gradual nature of the fade sorted out, or at least mine does....)

MC

NikolajC
2009-10-31, 03:49
I think the display brightness needs some work. I've set mine to automatic but it is too bright at night in the off state and at some levels of ambient light the brightness continually adjusts itself, fading up and down (although it's not a smooth, gradual fading but a series of jerky steps in the level brilliance).

Is there a bug logged for this yet?

I'm on 7.4.1

MC

I had that auto-dimming annoyance with my boom as well. I bought another one and moved the old into the bathroom. The new one no longer does that in the exact same spot in the bedroom. Must be some early hardware revisions or something.

DigitalMitch
2009-11-02, 03:09
I like how dark the touch gets at night, but then in the morning, it never gets bright again. I can't see it all day. I have to get close and squint to set it back to manual!

Fred, that's what I experienced and a 'reset to factory defaults' fixed it. Could you try and see if that improves it for you (unplug, press and hold + then plug back in - will lose some of your settings though).

I'm adding my experience to the bug https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11851

jmpage2
2009-11-02, 10:01
The auto dimming does just get a bit too dark for me at night, I can't quite make out the clock. Mind you I want it very very dim because I'm a light sleeper.

During the day when any light hits it the unit becomes unbelievably bright.

Hopefully we will get the ability to set a minimum and maximum bright level and still let the auto adjustment do its thing.

I don't really mind the way it steps up and down, it's not smooth but I only notice it when turning a light in the room on or off.

ModelCitizen
2009-11-02, 11:04
The auto dimming does just get a bit too dark for me at night
Yours must be different from mine then. At night mine is about 14 inches from my face (on the bedside table next to my bed) and it is far too bright. I have to hang something over the front (in fact I might put the boom back until this is fixed in the software). I think I've got it as dark as I can, even selecting the black background for the screen.

MC

jmpage2
2009-11-02, 11:13
Yours must be different from mine then. At night mine is about 14 inches from my face (on the bedside table next to my bed) and it is far too bright. I have to hang something over the front (in fact I might put the boom back until this is fixed in the software). I think I've got it as dark as I can, even selecting the black background for the screen.

MC

Mine is not like that at all, you can literally barely make it out. I'm also super sensitive to light at night and routinely tape over LEDs, put black out tint on clocks, etc, but I have not had to do any of that with the Squeezebox.

Did you try resetting your Radio to defaults and see if that fixes the behavior?

The only other thing I can think of is that you have some ambient light in the room which is hitting the sensor on the face of the radio and fooling it into thinking the room is brighter than it is.

As an experiment you can try covering the top edge of the radio with your hand. The display should dim down to the point you can barely see it at all, in just a matter of 10-15 seconds.

ModelCitizen
2009-11-02, 15:23
Mine is not like that at all, you can literally barely make it out. I'm also super sensitive to light at night and routinely tape over LEDs, put black out tint on clocks, etc, but I have not had to do any of that with the Squeezebox.

Did you try resetting your Radio to defaults and see if that fixes the behavior?

The only other thing I can think of is that you have some ambient light in the room which is hitting the sensor on the face of the radio and fooling it into thinking the room is brighter than it is.

As an experiment you can try covering the top edge of the radio with your hand. The display should dim down to the point you can barely see it at all, in just a matter of 10-15 seconds.
Just how far is your radio from your face. Mine is 12 inches (300mm) from my face. The screen is right in front of my eyes.

I have now factory reset it with no change, and tried holding my whole forearm over the top of the radio, again with no change. I have also fiddled a fair bit with the brightness setting, reaching the conclusion that choosing "Automatic" renders the
Brightness slider ineffectual.

I can see that the brightness of the display does vary with ambient light and that it varies in a jerky fashion. Curiously when the room is dark the display can get darker when I activate my iPhone display!

Now I am worried that there is a hardware fault and that I should return it before the 30 days I up.

FYI I remember that while the Boom was being developed I had a similar problem with the display. In the end I tracked it down the light sensor reading the light reflection of the Boom's screen from my face and bedclothes and adjusting the brightness upwards! This sensitivity was corrected in software and the Boom screen auto brightness worked perfectly after this.

MC

jmpage2
2009-11-02, 15:53
12 inches, really? No, mine is not 12 inches from my face, more like a meter or more. It also sits on a black table top so no chance of any reflections from that.

My room is literally pitch black and I can barely read the display on the Radio.

jdoering
2009-11-02, 22:05
If possible reflection, etc could be the cause of the problem you should test it in a pitch black closet or similar away from your face an reflective materials. That way you can distinguish between faulty hardware versus light feedback issues.

I checked mine from a foot away. It's definitely visible; but it definitely wouldn't bother me - I may not be very sensitive. I couldn't get mine to brighten up due to reflection using pieces of glossy white paper and such.

-Jeff

ModelCitizen
2009-11-03, 07:10
My room is literally pitch black and I can barely read the display on the Radio.
Can I ask you, does this include the clock (black background) screensaver? This is the screen I find too bright at night. It is the screensaver I use when the player is stopped or turned off. Assuming your screen is the same brightness as mine I can see how you might find other screens too dark at night, but not the clock screensaver.

My room is also blacked out.

MC

jmpage2
2009-11-03, 18:38
I made a video of how it is working on my unit. Camera was about 18 inches from the radio when I turn off the lamp on the night stand.

As you can see it dims down to basically complete blackness. The display is just barely visible but so faint that the camera cannot pick it up even when passed directly in front of it.

Hope this helps answer questions about whether units are working correct or are broken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08gSswQJsPk

elziko
2009-11-05, 03:03
I'm having the opposite problem to the OP - I find that my display is too bright in my very dark room at night.

ModelCitizen
2009-11-05, 03:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08gSswQJsPk

Sorry, this made me laugh.
I am with elziko, my chosen screensaver (the same one as in your video) is too bright at night.

Looks like there might be a hardware difference between our devices. I hope that Logitech implement some dimming configuration options (a la Boom) asap.

MC

jmpage2
2009-11-05, 09:35
Realize that as soon as there is any ambient room light it gets brighter than this. It is brighter at 5am for example.

elziko
2009-11-06, 01:06
I have looked into this some more. When my Radio is stopped or playing the dimming will go all the way down until it's very dim.

It looks like my problem is that the dimming doesn't go down very low when my Radio is off.

There seems to be different dimming behavior between playing/stopped and off.

ModelCitizen, can you check if you're seeing your issues under the same circumstances? We may have to add a bug for this.

jmpage2
2009-11-06, 16:24
My dimming works properly whether the radio is on or off.

ModelCitizen
2009-11-06, 22:04
Ok. The wife is away and I can't sleep so have just had an extended play with my radio, including putting it under the duvet to ensure I achieve maximum darkness.

At no time does my screen get too dark. The state of the device does not appear to make any difference (i.e. Off/playing/stopped).

I did notice that if I set the brilliance to manual I could get the screen to go darker than I could when set to automatic.

So, I am still of the mind that, with the screen brilliance set to automatic the screen will not get dark enough.

I also tried covering up the light sensor, but this made no difference either.

MC

PS. Have had the misfortune to catch a BBC Radio 1 mix by what sounded like DJ Mede on the Pete Tong show (3-5am). The drugs must be frighteningly strong nowadays if they enable anyone to listen (let alone dance) to this ugly machine noise.

forddonald
2009-11-07, 08:17
I've been really happy with the performance of the auto-dimming function of the Radio. It gets just the right amount of dim at night for me on my bed side table, and brightens right up when it's light.

The Boom never darkened enough for bes side use. It always seemed to be 2-3 settings too bright for a really dark room.

jmpage2
2009-11-08, 22:49
Ok. The wife is away and I can't sleep so have just had an extended play with my radio, including putting it under the duvet to ensure I achieve maximum darkness.

At no time does my screen get too dark. The state of the device does not appear to make any difference (i.e. Off/playing/stopped).

I did notice that if I set the brilliance to manual I could get the screen to go darker than I could when set to automatic.

So, I am still of the mind that, with the screen brilliance set to automatic the screen will not get dark enough.

I also tried covering up the light sensor, but this made no difference either.

MC

PS. Have had the misfortune to catch a BBC Radio 1 mix by what sounded like DJ Mede on the Pete Tong show (3-5am). The drugs must be frighteningly strong nowadays if they enable anyone to listen (let alone dance) to this ugly machine noise.

It sounds like the ambient light sensor on your radio is possibly defective, you should consider exchanging it.

ModelCitizen
2009-11-08, 23:23
It sounds like the ambient light sensor on your radio is possibly defective, you should consider exchanging it.
Funny, my conclusion was that it was the software that was the problem, not the hardware (maybe you assumed that when I covered up the light sensor I was in a lit room? I wasn't, was in a dark room).

Anyway, I've now 'upgraded' to 7.5 and if anything the problem is slightly worse, with the brilliance being slightly less inclined to go to as dim as before in a darkened room (although this could be caused by the current bright moon and clear sky).

MC

jmpage2
2009-11-08, 23:33
Funny, my conclusion was that it was the software that was the problem, not the hardware (maybe you assumed that when I covered up the light sensor I was in a lit room? I wasn't, was in a dark room).

Anyway, I've now 'upgraded' to 7.5 and if anything the problem is slightly worse, with the brilliance being slightly less inclined to go to as dim as before in a darkened room (although this could be caused by the current bright moon and clear sky).

MC

I don't understand how you could assume the software is the culprit when plenty of us have reported that the display gets extremely dim in a dark room, to the point of being almost difficult to read the display?

I even made a video to demonstrate how dim it gets on auto to which you replied "mine doesn't get that dim".

And you still figure this as a software issue? You should at least contemplate that you could have a bad unit.

elziko
2009-11-10, 09:53
I have double checked and I am definitely getting different bahviour between being stopped and off. It may be related to this thread but I'm not sure - if anyone is interested I have reported it as a bug:

https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=15088

ModelCitizen
2009-11-10, 11:13
Hmm, shame the bug title is not a bit more generic. Now we'll have one for too dark, one for too light and for for different brilliance in different states.

MC

elziko
2009-11-10, 14:18
Hmm, shame the bug title is not a bit more generic. Now we'll have one for too dark, one for too light and for for different brilliance in different states.

MC

I don't know if the issues are related. Someone with a better understanding is welcome to mark mine as a duplicate or adjust the summary to generalise.

illusion8055
2010-02-15, 16:39
Looking forward to that Minimum Brightness setting on the Radio! I wear glasses (and obviously don't wear them when I sleep). The level it dims to at night is too hard to read without my glasses on, which isn't an option. So leaving it just a tad higher would be great. Having seen the steps of dimming, there are a couple levels near dim that I would be happy to accept at night.

Anybody working on a big clock screensaver for us blind folks?? I had huge numbers on my old 'dumb' alarm clock, so it compensated for my poor vision quite nicely. You youngins' and your good vision

tcutting
2010-02-15, 17:27
Search for "custom clock". Erland has a screensaver which is pretty flexible, and he just updated it to make it even more so.

Better - here's a link to the thread:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=68269

Justme
2010-02-22, 02:11
I also look forward to the adjustable minimum brightness. I believe I can do this on my Boom, but not the radio. Otherwise, the auto adjusting works pretty good for me. It drops down pretty good at night a few moments after the lights go off. It just drops a tad too far. Maybe being able to set the minimum brightness one or two levels higher would be good.