PDA

View Full Version : Help: Quick Scroll through long artist list?

Bradley
2009-10-27, 19:07
Is there a quick way to get from let's say A to T? The only way I can do it is a lot of spinning the big knob.

*B

MeSue
2009-10-28, 09:24
It should accelerate as you spin faster and longer. Or you can go backwards from A. It will bump the first time, but if you keep spinning the knob it will push through.

Or take a shortcut through the Genre list if you know what genre the thing you want is under.

Or install Erland's Custom browse which will allow you to configure an extra menu level for dividing the list by first letters A-Z.

Tom Wadzinski
2009-10-28, 12:51
Also, in the upcoming 7.5 release of the firmware, you can engage an experimental "Text Mode" feature, which will allow you to assign a button (such as holding down the center knob) to temporarily have the scroll wheel move by letter in any alphabetized list. Hitting "back" or "center knob" will disengage Text Mode.

DigitalMitch
2009-10-29, 06:57
on the SB3 and Boom, the original IR remote allowed the number buttons to be pressed to jump to letters, i.e. pressing 5 twice took you to 'K'.

This functionality is not present on the Radio and instead the numeric buttons act in the same way as the presets.

Would it be possible to make this an option:-
1. Numeric Remote Buttons always act as presets for Radio and Boom
2. Numeric Remote Buttons always act as 'jump to letter'
3. Numeric Remote Buttons are context sensitive

Option 3 should mean working as option 2 if scrolling a list and as option 1 elsewhere.

Option 2 means there is no functionality to the numeric remote buttons unless you are in a list (which I think is the standard SB3 functionality).

aubuti
2009-10-29, 22:46
on the SB3 and Boom, the original IR remote allowed the number buttons to be pressed to jump to letters, i.e. pressing 5 twice took you to 'K'.

This functionality is not present on the Radio and instead the numeric buttons act in the same way as the presets.

Would it be possible to make this an option:-
1. Numeric Remote Buttons always act as presets for Radio and Boom
2. Numeric Remote Buttons always act as 'jump to letter'
3. Numeric Remote Buttons are context sensitive

Option 3 should mean working as option 2 if scrolling a list and as option 1 elsewhere.

Option 2 means there is no functionality to the numeric remote buttons unless you are in a list (which I think is the standard SB3 functionality).
Another possibility is that a regular press on the number key jumps to appropriate letter, and a press-and-hold is treated as a preset or favorite. This is how it used to work on SB2/SB3, and maybe it still does work that way, but I don't know for sure, which is a sign of how little I use my IR remotes any more....

DigitalMitch
2009-10-30, 05:17
7.5 still works that way, with IR and SB3:-
1A. press numeric in menu - jump to that option number (i.e. '3' in home menu jumps to 3 of 9 - Internet Radio, in my case)
1B. press numeric in list - jump to that letter (i.e. '3' cycles through D,E,F)
2. press and hold numeric - replace playlist with preset
3. press,hold and keep holding numeric - set preset to current menu selection (presumably only if it is a playable item).

Option 3 doesn't seem to work well, i.e. the press part of P,H&K moves you in the menu and therefore you don't save the item you originally selected!! Never used on previous releases, so not sure if this is a new problem, but it exists in 7.4.1 and 7.5.

However, if you point the IR at the SB Radio then the top functionality is gone and you only have preset functionality.

Personally I never used presets with SB3 or Boom but can see the value (especially with Radio), I think having to use the physical buttons on Radio and Boom to set the preset would be fine (and overcomes the above difficulty). Leaving presets as is on SB3 is okay by me, assuming those that use it will know and raise the problem I have mentioned.

Therefore having the following options for SqueezePlay would enable IR users to choose to have consistent operation between SB3 and Radio/Touch. I don't think option 1 need be 'ported' back to SB3.

Option (1) "numerics = preset" Default
Press Numeric = Jump to Preset
Press and Hold Numeric = Set Preset

Option (2) "numerics = navigate"
Press Numeric = Navigate (context specific)
Press and Hold Numeric = Jump to Preset if available.
Press, Hold and Keep Holding = Set preset

Configuring each numeric separately doesn't seem correct but would fit with the 7.5 'shortcuts' beta option.

I'll raise this as an enhancement and see what Tom makes of it
(and carve out from https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14990 which I raised yesterday).

DigitalMitch
2009-11-02, 05:22
I've now raised this as an enhacement request.

https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=15017

I think this is a distinct option from the Beta 'text mode' as that works with scroll wheel and this enhancemnt request is for IR.