PDA

View Full Version : touch question

clive7164
2009-10-27, 12:42
I have just ordered a touch.While im waiting for it to arrive I want to start putting my cd s etc on a drive to use with the touch as a stand alone setup(via my main system). My question is what is the best system to use to transfer all the cd s .The only thing I have used do far has been itunes(lossles) to see if I could get on with digital music. Can I use itunes or do I have to rip everything in a different format.
Thanks
Clive

colantra
2009-10-27, 12:49
I have just ordered a touch.While im waiting for it to arrive I want to start putting my cd s etc on a drive to use with the touch as a stand alone setup(via my main system). My question is what is the best system to use to transfer all the cd s .The only thing I have used do far has been itunes(lossles) to see if I could get on with digital music. Can I use itunes or do I have to rip everything in a different format.
Thanks
Clive

As far as I understand the Touch will play Apple lossless files, so you shouldn't need to re-rip them.

clive7164
2009-10-27, 12:53
Thanks for that,it will save a bit of time just need to do some research drives now and get it all transfered
Clive

tcutting
2009-10-27, 13:47
I would still recommend FLAC format (unless you use iTunes much). What type of PC do you use? Under Windows, I use EAC to perform accurate rips, and it can fire-off FLAC conversion. Although the Touch can play Apple Lossless files natively, the other Squeezebox players can't, so if you add additional players you may end up with needing to transcode (and I believe if your Touch is your SB Server, it won't perform transcoding). The one disadvantage of FLAC is that iPods don't support this format directly (although most people would convert to MP3 to put on portable player anyway due to size constraints on portable players.) dBpoweramp is widely regarded on this forum (I've never used, however... EAC works fine for me, and it's free).

funkstar
2009-10-27, 14:06
I would also recommend FLAC, although before the new players (Touch and Radio) supported ALAC natively, i would have highly recommended FLAC.

EAC is indeed free, but can be a complete pain to use. It also has very poor tagging support and zero artwork support. dbPoweramp may cost money, but it is an excellent app and means you don't need anything else in your ripping/tagging workflow.

as for drives, and of the portable USB powered drives will work as well as the next. The only thing you will need to make sure of is that it comes formatted as FAT32. The Touch won't read NTFS drives on release (though this will be added soon after) and Windows won't let you format a drive larger than 32GB as FAT32 (artificial limitation introduced my MS).

Phil Leigh
2009-10-27, 22:48
The Touch won't read NTFS drives on release (though this will be added soon after) and Windows won't let you format a drive larger than 32GB as FAT32 (artificial limitation introduced my MS).

Sure you can have massive FAT32 Drives - just use the free fat32format.exe

clive7164
2009-10-28, 03:42
Thanks chaps
its all a bit confusing for me,my future son in law is into and has built computers.I think a good talk to him is in order
Clive