PDA

View Full Version : idea for next product: a Squeeze-pod!

guybrush
2009-10-26, 13:45
I own a duet and a Boom, and I am extremely happy with both (maybe because I am still running Squeezecenter 7.3.4...).

I was just thinking that the squeezebox product line lacks a pocket player. This would be a great product I would buy at once.

It should have both wireless capability and a flash memory card. When at home, it would connect to my squeezeCenter server and would be able to play all of my library, radio stations and podcast. It would also have the ability to transfert part of my library and/or podcasts to the flash card, so when out of reach of my wireless network, I could still play the tunes I have transfered to the memory card.

Wouldn't such a product be interesting?

maggior
2009-10-26, 14:21
What you describe is already there in large part with the playback capability of the controller (SBC).

Though it has a memory card, I don't think you can play files locally from it. I'm not sure how high a priority it would be for Logitech to enable playback of files stored on a flash card in a controller.

You could always submit an enhancement request and put it up for a vote. All of the hardware is there and in place - I think it would just take some software development. It probably wouldn't be a trivial development effort though since the hardware would have to play music in the absence of the server.

iPhone
2009-10-26, 14:27
I own a duet and a Boom, and I am extremely happy with both (maybe because I am still running Squeezecenter 7.3.4...).

I was just thinking that the squeezebox product line lacks a pocket player. This would be a great product I would buy at once.

It should have both wireless capability and a flash memory card. When at home, it would connect to my squeezeCenter server and would be able to play all of my library, radio stations and podcast. It would also have the ability to transfert part of my library and/or podcasts to the flash card, so when out of reach of my wireless network, I could still play the tunes I have transfered to the memory card.

Wouldn't such a product be interesting?

But sir if you own a Duet you already have a pocket player, albeit it is still Beta. And hey if you don't have an SB Radio, no need to upgrade to SBS 7.4.1. Good call.

I have been using my Controller as a pocket player for almost two years when I am working outside or mowing the lawn.

And when I leave the house I have this thing called an iPhone that I have to take with me anyway so why drag along "another" device?

aubuti
2009-10-26, 14:44
I think such a device would be interesting, and as others have said, the SBC is already part of the way there. It doesn't copy files from SBS to the SD card, nor can it play audio from the SD card. I don't imagine those would be that hard to implement in the firmware. For something I take away from home, I would want it to be more compact and more durable than the SBC.

However, I see the biggest round-peg-square-hole problem being putting FLAC (or other) lossless files on a portable player. Most places I would take a portable player (car, metro, airplane, running, etc.) are sufficiently noisy that lossy codecs like MP3 are perfectly fine, especially through earbuds or headphones that are far from audiophile quality. Putting the lossless SBS library on the portable device means having a lot fewer tracks to choose from, and lossless files generally run through batteries a lot faster than MP3s because the decoding is more CPU intensive, and in the case of hard disk players, the drive is spinning a lot more.

So, imho, interesting yes, but still a whole lot of kinks to work out in the basic concept. Keeping a parallel MP3 version of my FLAC library and periodically changing the subset that's on my portable player or Blackberry via USB cable and/or SDHC card isn't the most elegant solution in the world, but it works.

iPhone
2009-10-26, 15:07
And again if one just has to have an anyway from home device, are we not talking about an iPod again. The 4GB Shuffle is only $79. Oh and hey if one buys an iPhone, they can talk on the phone, listen to MP3s, use it as a Squeezebox remote with iPeng, and can even stream from their home SC Server with Squeeze Mobile on the iPhone.

Sounds like we are talking about an iPhone to me.

aubuti
2009-10-26, 15:25
Sounds like we are talking about an iPhone to me.
So are you saying that after announcing the "Touch" with all of its "Apps" that Logitech is going to introduce a new product that they call an "iPhone"? Who'd've thunk it? When will it be released? Are you one of the beta testers? Is it as good as an Apple iPhone? ;o)

pippin
2009-10-26, 15:31
Are you one of the beta testers?

You did recognize his user name, didn't you?

guybrush
2009-10-27, 00:14
Indeed the controller can be used as a "pocket player", but that is if you have pretty large pockets... I was thinking about something much smaller and lightweight. Besides, as some of you have pointed out, the playback ability on the controller are Beta, and I have experienced several crashes of the controller while using this functionality. But it is true that with some ameliorations to the playback ability of the controller, and with the addition of a transfer of music to the flash card, the controller could be transformed to a (bulky) portable player.

I have to grin to the proposition of using the iphone (or apple ipod) as a player... Maybe when Apple adds the possibility to play open source formats and to not put in my hands an excellent hardware whose capabilities are limited by a uncustomizable software (I own an iphone, and I am not impressed). Thumbs up to slimdevices (and now logitech) for their open product line that really put the user in control...

bernt
2009-10-27, 00:17
https://trac.penguinlovesmusic.de/trac/ipengnat/roadmap

Release 1.3

Grahame
2009-10-27, 01:04
The device you specified has existed in various forms already.

Consider the following as adjuncts to an SB based system.

Stream via http://slimserverIP:9000/stream.mp3

As mentioned above - controller + iPhone/Touch

Play (supported) media locally , or stream over wi-fi. iPhone has has streaming over 3G if your server is connected to the internet

1) Wi-fi + removable flash memory cards: Nokia internet tablets
(770, N800, N810, N900)
play (supported) media locally , or stream over wi-fi.

2) Sansa Clip plus. Has removeable flash card. Plays flac out of the box.
Has FM receiver. Play output of SB on an FM transmitter, and away you go :)