PDA

View Full Version : Portable player and SB Touch

Letten
2009-10-26, 03:10
Hi,

I would really like to be able to have all my music on one device only.

At home I would connected it to the Touch (USB), in my car connect it to caraudio (USB or AUX), on the go (as portable player using headphones).

Is this possible?

toby10
2009-10-26, 04:22
Don't see why not. Certainly Touch and car usage (I use a USB hard drive in my car, USB input to car's head unit).
I don't use a portable player but I presume they make USB compatible devices for this.

Probably want to confirm compatibilities of all such devices, particularly music file format and USB format.
FAT 16 or 32 would be the standard for car & portable device usage in most cases, versus NTFS.

Letten
2009-10-26, 04:37
USB hard drive won't do it, as I want to be able to attach headphones as well (portable player).

So what I'm requesting is a portable player (>100Gb) that can work together with the SB Touch.

I wouldn't mind if all the files need to be MP3 for this purpose.

radish
2009-10-26, 07:38
Errr...iPod?

aubuti
2009-10-26, 07:55
Errr...iPod?
I'm not one of the iPeople, but I've heard that recent versions of iPods -- or more accurately, their firmware -- do not support treating the iPod as a USB drive. If that's correct (and don't take my word for it), then your options include older model iPods, changing the firmware to something like Rockbox, or another brand of player.

radish
2009-10-26, 08:15
That's true for the touch, but that isn't big enough for this use anyway. The Classic goes up to 160GB, and I believe it will do disk mode. Don't take my word for it though :)

toby10
2009-10-26, 10:01
Yeah, that's the trick, finding a portable player that the Touch and your car head unit will see as a simple USB device.
Obviously there are other options for the portable player usage with a car head unit, but Touch is limited to USB in your scenario.

Letten
2009-10-26, 10:23
Yes, but what kind of portable player would work this way?

Has anyone tested the iPod Classic in this scenario?

Has Logitech thought about this scenario? to me it's pretty obvious to hook up a portable device instead of just a USB-drive.

bpa
2009-10-26, 10:48
I have tested Touch with an old iRiver h320 which works as a player and a hard drive. The H320 is also unusual in that it can act as USB host and USB peripheral. It worked as well as expected given Touch s/w.

Your problem is finding a suitable player.