PDA

View Full Version : Text on Touch

tank121
2009-10-25, 09:08
I take it you can alter the text size on the Touch ?

Is it like the classic it that you can see the track names from the other end of the room ?
I don't want to be picking the unit up to read the track information.

I'm seriously considering buying it to replace my classic.

I've read the digital out offers a better quality than the classic. Is this true ?

aubuti
2009-10-25, 09:43
The text size changes automatically. If you use the IR remote, it goes to the "10 foot" (~3m) interface, because that's about the distance from which it is readable (depending on lighting, your eyesight, etc.). If you approach the SB Touch, the built-in proximity sensor senses this and changes to the "3 foot" (~1m) interface, which is smaller text. Of course, if you touch the screen it also switches to the 3-foot interface. I don't imagine many (any?) people would actually be picking up the SBT to control it -- it sits on a shelf just like an SB3. I can't comment on the audio quality of the digital out because I use the analog outs.

tank121
2009-10-25, 09:54
is there an official release date for UK yet ?

JJZolx
2009-10-27, 22:03
I take it you can alter the text size on the Touch ?

Not really. But there are two interface skins with different font sizing. One for close, touchscreen use and one for IR use from a distance. They switch automatically, based on feedback from the proximity sensor and whether the IR remote is being used.

Is it like the classic it that you can see the track names from the other end of the room ?
I don't want to be picking the unit up to read the track information.

That's a bit of a work in progress right now, so it's hard to say for certain. Overall, though, I'd say that nothing comes close to the large, single line font of the Classic. The bright VFD of the Classic also makes it easier to read in a room in full daylight.

A lot of suggestions have been made for either a freely sizable font (which I don't expect) and for a mode that would approach the readability of the Classic from a distance - maybe even one that emulates that type of single-line, scrolling display, without artwork taking up any space.

The LCD screen presents a bit of a challenge. At less than 4" wide, if you display a cover image over half the width, that leaves only about 2" in which to scroll your text. Even if track title, artist, and album name are placed on three lines, you can't get much on the screen.