PDA

View Full Version : Users in London

danco
2009-10-24, 06:58
I'm having trouble with my Squeezebox Radio - it won't connect to the Squeezebox Server.

I'm wondering if there are any users in London who I might visit to test it out on their system and see if there is a fault on the Radio, or if it is somewhere in my own system.

I've posted the problems elsewhere, but it isn't any of the more obvious problems. The Radio connects wirelessly to my router ok (I can play music from mysqueezebox.com) and my Squeezebox 2 works fine, which suggests that it isn't a firewall issue.

toby10
2009-10-24, 07:06
If you are running SBS7.4.x, what does it say in Control Panel > Diagnostics?
All Pings & Posts say OK? Any listed Alerts?

danco
2009-10-24, 09:42
If you are running SBS7.4.x, what does it say in Control Panel > Diagnostics?
All Pings & Posts say OK? Any listed Alerts?

You've asked me that in response to my post in another thread.

And, as I said there, you are giving a Windows response to a Mac user.

Mind you, since have VMWare on my Mac, I might try installing SBS on the Windows side as well.

toby10
2009-10-24, 13:04
You've asked me that in response to my post in another thread.

And, as I said there, you are giving a Windows response to a Mac user.

Mind you, since have VMWare on my Mac, I might try installing SBS on the Windows side as well.

And as I said in the other post, I am referring to Control Panel within SBS server, nothing to do with MAC or PC. :)
If SBS > Control panel is not part of the MAC build of SBS I apologize, but where do you mention being a MAC user in this thread prior to my response?

bpa
2009-10-24, 13:17
There are diagnostics on the Radio itself - under Settings/Advanced/Diagnostics. It gives info such as whether Radio can Ping SBS.

danco
2009-10-24, 14:38
Well, I had intended this thread to be specifically just to find someone in London who runs a Squeezebox, so that I can take my Radio along and test the hardware. I'm beginning to think there may be a hardware issue with it. I had started other threads (one in Squeezebox Radio, one in Squeezebox Server, though maybe I should only have made one) for software help such as yours and Toby's.

Anyway, the answer is that Ping and TCP are shown as Not Connected, which fits in with my experience that when I try to connect using My Music I just get told to make sure that Squeezebox Server is running on my computer. Which it is, and connecting without trouble to my Squeezebox 2.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I had originally got a good connection to SBS, which suddenly disappeared. While trying various attempts to bring it back, I did a factory reset on the Radio.

One thing that surprised me. I tried connecting via ethernet rather than wireless, and got to Connected via Ethernet. I was therefore a touch surprised that the diagnostics showed information about my wireless connection

danco
2009-10-24, 14:43
And as I said in the other post, I am referring to Control Panel within SBS server, nothing to do with MAC or PC. :)
If SBS > Control panel is not part of the MAC build of SBS I apologize, but where do you mention being a MAC user in this thread prior to my response?

I didn't mention it in this thread, because its only purpose - as I specifically said in my first post - was to find someone else with an SB, so that I could take the Radio along and test if it is a failure of the Radio. I wasn't expecting any replies other than from people in London letting.

In my other threads I had mentioned that I used a Mac.

And yes, I don't know the reason, but the Preference Pane, which is the Mac version of what you are talking about, has most of the same settings as the Control Panel, but does not include a Diagnostics item.

MeSue
2009-10-24, 15:01
Why not just call support? Seem like they'd be best equipped to diagnose a hardware failure.

danco
2009-10-24, 15:37
Why not just call support? Seem like they'd be best equipped to diagnose a hardware failure.

Well, yes.

But

(a) it's the weekend

(b) I still think that physically trying it on someone else's system is at least as good a way of diagnosis as a diagnosis by phone. Might take longer to organise, but would only take a couple of minutes to test. Going through various tests by phone can be quite a chore, and one never knows if the support people are just following a script or if they know what they are talking about.

Just as an example of a place where Logitech aren't up-to-date, their FAQ page on dealing with firewall issues cover Mac Tiger and Leopard, but not Snow Leopard as yet.

Certainly I intend to phone support if I don't get a response here, but I would really prefer actually trying to connect to someone else's server, as that would reveal at once if the problem is with the Radio or with my system.

MeSue
2009-10-24, 18:09
Well, yes.

But

(a) it's the weekend

I wasn't sure of the time difference for London, but it does say they offer support on Saturday.

danco
2009-10-25, 00:54
Oh, I must have missed that.

I don't know what Logitech Squeezebox phone support is like, but phone support on so many things is a really unpleasant and long experience.

Visiting someone takes much less time and trouble. Not in clock time, but I can read while on public transport, and a bit of exercise by walking is good for me, so I don't consider that time is spent unprofitably. Whereas having to go through things I have already tried is a waste of time.

But so far no-one has replied that they are in London

Your post, though, made me think of other things to try. If something changed on my computer that made the Radio stop connecting, then I have a backup from before then that I can boot my machine from. And I can re-install Squeezebox Server on that backup.

Thanks.

danco
2009-10-25, 02:04
Sue, somehow your post inspired me to try a few more things.

I booted from an old backup, completely cleared all traces of SqueezeCenter/SqueezeboxServer and reinstalled. All went well, so the problem is *not* with the Radio or connection through my router.

But on returning to my main drive, the problem persists after a wipe and reinstall of SBS. And it continues if I create a completely new user and start SBS as that user.

So it must be somewhere fairly deep within my system.

I would suspect a firewall issue, except that my other Squeezebox connects fine.

Any thoughts would be welcome. I am using Mac OS 10.6.1

shevans
2009-10-25, 03:27
I'm a little further out near Potters Bar, but its half term this week and with five children not really in a position to "play" with computers but a week away would be fine!

From your post I gather you wiped your boot drive? if so did you restore your user data (not programs) from a time Machine Drive? If you did user data also includes load of rubbish that you would not expect to be restored.

Paul Webster
2009-10-25, 09:46
I am in west London - and happy to help out.
I have 2xSB2

danco
2009-10-25, 12:37
Very many thanks, Paul and shevans.

In the end, not needed.

I realised that I had a backup on an external drive that dated from before the problem occurred. I tried booting from that, and found the Radio did connect to my SBS. So it was evidently some odd software issue.

I could probably have saved time by restoring from my Time Machine drive, but I actually did something different.

Copied my Home folder (which contains installers for most of my programs) to spare space on another drive. Cloned the backup drive to my internal drive, and then copied back items from my Home folder, and did some reinstallation of programs.

Now,as long as the problem doesn't occur again! Because I still don't know the cause.