PDA

View Full Version : new album art not picked up

QDon
2009-10-23, 19:41
Sometimes when I add a new album I forget to include the album art (cover.jpg) in the folder. I discover it's missing later on when playing the album. I add the cover.jpg file to the folder and do a scan for new or changed music but the new album art is never picked up. I am running 7.4.1 production and it has done this in previous versions also. Is this a bug? by design? The only way to get it included is to do a full scan. Such a waste of time to get one piece of album art included.

Teus de Jong
2009-10-24, 03:59
That's the way it works (for now). However, you can add the artwork for one or a few albums quite simply by following these steps (which BTW will also add all info, so you don't need any scan for new music):
1. Via My Music > Browse folder go to the album and select it. The art will be displayed.
2. Now do the same via My music > Artists.

After that, the artwork is in the db and will be displayed.

Teus

QDon
2009-10-24, 07:52
Thanks for the tips!!

Don

Sparren
2009-10-24, 11:11
Thanks, this tip will save me some time to...
I have some albums that doesn't display artwork beacuse the jpg extension is capitals (Folder.JPG). I guess this isn't valid by design.

That's the way it works (for now). However, you can add the artwork for one or a few albums quite simply by following these steps (which BTW will also add all info, so you don't need any scan for new music):
1. Via My Music > Browse folder go to the album and select it. The art will be displayed.

Teus

brucegrr
2009-10-24, 19:25
Clear the cache and do a rescan.

7.4.........server control panel....the advanced tab......run cleanup......clean cache folder...

Bruce

bertdw
2009-10-25, 12:36

Teus

What a great tip! Thank you very much. Someone should make that a sticky!

perstromgren
2009-11-02, 06:27
What a great tip! Thank you very much. Someone should make that a sticky!

... or put it in the Wiki, where it belongs. Is this work around really by design, by the way?

Per.

rolski
2009-11-02, 08:04
7.4.........server control panel....the advanced tab......run cleanup......clean cache folder...
This option does not exist / is not visible in 7.4.2 - r29092 - where do you see it - are you sure your description path is correct ?

brucegrr
2009-11-02, 14:52
This option does not exist / is not visible in 7.4.2 - r29092 - where do you see it - are you sure your description path is correct ?

Quite sure in 7.4.1. Right click on the squeeze server icon on the taskbar.........Click open control panel

brucegrr
2009-11-02, 14:54
There is a problem with artwork rescan. The only way I have found to get newly added artwork to show is to clear the cache. I added 20 new albums over the weekend, all with artwork. None of the artwork showed when doing a rescan for new/updated music.

This is not a big deal...........but it is annoying.

QDon
2009-11-02, 15:04
Quite sure in 7.4.1. Right click on the squeeze server icon on the taskbar.........Click open control panel

What if you are not running SBS in Windows?

rolski
2009-11-02, 15:12
Ah, ok, not the case in the ReadyNAS NV+ version....

brucegrr
2009-11-02, 16:04
long time Windows fan boy so I don't know about any other operating system as it relates to Squeeze server.

MrSinatra
2009-11-06, 03:02
in 7.5 and newer artwork scan and the scanner in general should be a lot better. many long standing bugs have been addressed lately.

ctbarker32
2009-11-14, 09:12
Hi,

I continue to hold out hope that the long standing Artwork bugs will truly be addressed in 7.5 as recently mentioned.

Currently, I have an odd situation where the same artwork jpeg files don't display on Linux SBS but do display on WHS SBS? I have two completely separate SBS servers one running on a homemade Linux (clarkconnect) server and one running on a Dell 420 server running WHS. Every night I have a scheduled robocopy (like rsync) make a direct duplicate from the Linux server to the WHS server. I store each album in their own folder and use "Album Art.jpg" as my art file to maintain compatibility with portable media players when transcoding. Generally this works well.

Recently, I have added a handful of new albums with their associated artwork to my Linux server. Despite running a full rescan which takes close to an hour with my 1.5 Tb of data, the artwork for these handful of albums will not display. I did not clear the cache before hand. I guess I'll have to remember how to manually do this since there is no interface for this in Linux?

What's weird is that the WHS SBS has always displayed the artwork for these files correctly. So, I know there's nothing wrong with the artwork. I thought the code for Windows and Linux would be essentially the same but clearly there are differences.

I really wish there were some independent routines built into SBS that could straighten out artwork problems like this? It's still a bit too messy at this point.

-CB

brucegrr
2009-11-14, 09:33
Perhaps an option to have the cache cleared at every scan would help?

7.4.x was the first version where I had any artwork trouble and I have had to clear the cache several times to get new artwork to show up.

dunq
2009-12-17, 00:53
If you browse albums in order to prompt new artwork to be acquired, as brucegrr suggested, I've found that this doesn't work for the first track of any album, nor the album itself, but every other track will display the correct cover. (using 7.4.1 - r28947)

This is the same in both the SBS display and the display on the Controller.