PDA

View Full Version : How to create a playlist with a text .pls file?



Chris Davies
2004-07-11, 01:18
Hi All
I have never been able to do this. I am using notepad under Windows XP. I open a blank notepad doc, put the text in (e.g. an accurately transcribed example from somewhere on this board), save the file in my C:\program files\slimserver\server\playlists directory. If I browse the file with Windows Explorer it is there. But it does not appear as a playlist on my slimserver. I know I am doing something really stupid, but what?
Many thanks to the person who puts me out of my misery.
Chris
p.s. there are various options for encoding a notepad file (ansi, unicode, utf) - I have been using the default (ansi), does that make a difference?

Philip Meyer
2004-07-11, 01:35
Perhaps you have the option to not show file extensions on. Thus when you store a file called playlist.pls, it is actually called playlist.pls.txt?

Open an explorer window, go to Tools->folder options, View tab, and ensure that "hide extensions for known file types" is not ticked.

Phil

>I have never been able to do this. I am using notepad under Windows XP. I open a blank notepad doc, put the text in (e.g. an accurately transcribed example from somewhere on this board), save the file in my C:\program files\slimserver\server\playlists directory. If I browse the file with Windows Explorer it is there. But it does not appear as a playlist on my slimserver. I know I am doing something really stupid, but what?
>Many thanks to the person who puts me out of my misery.
>Chris
>p.s. there are various options for encoding a notepad file (ansi, unicode, utf) - I have been using the default (ansi), does that make a difference?

kdf
2004-07-11, 01:39
by default notepad will alter the filename, adding .txt to the end. Also by
default, Windows will hide known extensions when you browse. Thus, you may see
..pls, but not the .txt. You can change the folder options to not hidee
extensions, and that will show it. If you manually rename the file, hopefully
it will reveal the added extension. With the .txt, slimserver will not see this
file as a playlist and will ignore it. Wordpad may let you save without doing
something so stupid as adding an extension even if you say not to.

-kdf

Quoting Chris Davies <chris_davies01 (AT) btconnect (DOT) com>:

> Hi All
> I have never been able to do this. I am using notepad under Windows XP. I
> open a blank notepad doc, put the text in (e.g. an accurately transcribed
> example from somewhere on this board), save the file in my C:\program
> files\slimserver\server\playlists directory. If I browse the file with
> Windows Explorer it is there. But it does not appear as a playlist on my
> slimserver. I know I am doing something really stupid, but what?
> Many thanks to the person who puts me out of my misery.
> Chris
> p.s. there are various options for encoding a notepad file (ansi, unicode,
> utf) - I have been using the default (ansi), does that make a difference?

Roy M. Silvernail
2004-07-11, 11:26
On Sun, 2004-07-11 at 04:39, kdf wrote:
> by default notepad will alter the filename, adding .txt to the end. Also by
> default, Windows will hide known extensions when you browse. Thus, you may see
> .pls, but not the .txt.

Windows is so annoying that way. The trick for Notepad is: when saving,
select 'All Files' as the type, and put your filename in double-quotes,
like "filename.pls". That will force notepad to save with the given
name. Otherwise, it will save with the .txt extension added after
whatever name you specified.

> You can change the folder options to not hidee
> extensions, and that will show it.

That is the very first thing I set up when commissioning a Windows box,
along with turning off 'View as Web Page" globally. I turn that on only
for folders where I really want thumbnails.
--
Roy M. Silvernail is roy (AT) rant-central (DOT) com, and you're not
"Progress, like reality, is not optional." - R. A. Hettinga
SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
http://www.rant-central.com

Jack Coates
2004-07-11, 23:12
> On Sun, 2004-07-11 at 04:39, kdf wrote:
>> by default notepad will alter the filename, adding .txt to the end.
>> Also by
>> default, Windows will hide known extensions when you browse. Thus, you
>> may see
>> .pls, but not the .txt.
>
> Windows is so annoying that way. The trick for Notepad is: when saving,
> select 'All Files' as the type, and put your filename in double-quotes,
> like "filename.pls". That will force notepad to save with the given
> name. Otherwise, it will save with the .txt extension added after
> whatever name you specified.
>
>> You can change the folder options to not hidee
>> extensions, and that will show it.
>
> That is the very first thing I set up when commissioning a Windows box,
> along with turning off 'View as Web Page" globally. I turn that on only
> for folders where I really want thumbnails.
> --

that's usually the second thing I do, because I'm so busy making the first
thing I do installing vim. A real editor may be hard to learn, but it's
even harder to do without once you have learned.

--
Jack At Monkeynoodle.Org: It's A Scientific Venture...
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired,
signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not
fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." -- President Dwight D.
Eisenhower, April 16, 1953