PDA

View Full Version : Any Solutions Yet for artwork Issues & 7.4.1?

timequest
2009-10-22, 21:00
I've been reading about this issue - where artwork is not properly displayed or not displayed at all. I am experiencing the same issue. It's really not that bad though, only a small portion of my "albums" either don't display the artwork, or the wrong artwork (for a different album) is displayed instead of the correct cover art. Have there been any solutions to this issue yet?

JJZolx
2009-10-22, 21:04
7.4.1 was released about a day ago. Artwork display problems have plagued Squeezebox Server for years. Best approach may be to run a 'clear and rescan' type of rescan regularly. You can use the Rescan Music Library plugin to schedule these scans daily. If your server is too slow to make this practical then you're mostly SOL.

Maybe there will be a 7.4.2 release in another couple of weeks that addresses some of the remaining large bugs caused by 7.4.

Mnyb
2009-10-23, 02:25
I never have artwork problems , but i followed "The path of least resistance" .

No iTunes .

I have 95% flac files .

I have most of my tags in good order, I use only one tag format per file i never mix id3vX with each other or have id3V tags in my flac files. they have what mp3tag reports as FLAC (or is it really vorbis comments ).
Multiple tags in a file is a mess .

I organize music in /music/artist/album . One folder per album .
here i put a folder.jpg file (not bmp png or gif or anything else ) .

And I also embeds the artwork in the files from a jpg file.

Bingo, have worked fuzz free since i got the controller .

It can on occasion take a full scan to get the covers .

There are other approaches to cover art that "should work" but apparently are bug riddled as the many post about cover art and itunes speaks about for example.

And changing cover art in old directories and files can take a "clear and rescan" to work , this is also a known bug . But it would not bite you when your done and fixed your old files .

But the bog standard approach with flac and mp3 works if the folders, pictures and file tags are in good order .

I scanned in two new albums today it worked cover shows up with "new and changed scan" . I suppose it is the fact that I have both folder.jpg and embedded artwork that ups the chacne that this is working.

Gerry123
2009-10-23, 03:43
I scanned in two new albums today it worked cover shows up with "new and changed scan" . I suppose it is the fact that I have both folder.jpg and embedded artwork that ups the chacne that this is working.

I don't have any problems with complete albums where each track is from the same artist or is an artist from that album. Where it fails for me is when I create a compilation folder with different artists and embedded album art in each track. Only the first alphabetical album artist is displayed for every track. If i remove the first track embedded album artist the rest seem to work for some reason. But I guess that's why it's called "Album Art" instead of "Artist Art". If I put a folder.jpg (or cover.jpg) within the folder that get's displayed instead.

I might add that in 7.3.3 the art from each embedded track was displayed. It only changed in 7.4.x.

It's not a showstopper and shouldn't detract from the most important thing which is the music, but it would be nice if they would address the issue.

iPeng seems to work correctly on the iPod touch and I'm tending to use this more and more over the SBC these days.

Gerry.

P.S. Like you I'm very particular with my album art, no duplicates and don't use iTunes on the same server as the squeezeboxserver.

Mnyb
2009-10-23, 03:58
The in between case works I have a non compilation album same album same artist, this album has one song with different cover art and it works ?

You must use browse music folder to access these compilations .

If you creates a fake "compilation album" with a suitable tag editor and scan them ? what happens then .

Is this bug reported, imho the files own embedded art should "win" all the time .
If not write up a bug report on it and add it to the pile of artwork bugs that already there :)

Gerry123
2009-10-23, 05:51
The in between case works I have a non compilation album same album same artist, this album has one song with different cover art and it works ?

You must use browse music folder to access these compilations .

If you creates a fake "compilation album" with a suitable tag editor and scan them ? what happens then .

Is this bug reported, imho the files own embedded art should "win" all the time .
If not write up a bug report on it and add it to the pile of artwork bugs that already there :)

I copy the tracks into a folder. Each track has embedded album art but no folder.jpg in the folder. After scanning, within the web browser every track comes up with the correct album art, but on the SBC only the first alphabetical track album art shows on the display, whatever track is playing. If I remove the first track album art and do a full scan, other than this track all the subsequent art appears on the SBC and the web interface correctly. Go figure that one? Each track has the album name (e.g.Singles) embedded in each track so shows up in the listing as an album so can be selected from the album list. Maybe that's wrong, I dunno but worked fine in 7.3.4.

This behaviour is so difficult to explain without actually seeing it that I think the developers have enough to think about without adding what is really a minor issue. Maybe when all the important ones are sorted I'll submit it as a bug.

Just to add that iPeng on the iPod touch works fine and is a lot easier to use than the SBC in my opinion.

I've tried to explain it as closely as I can but even then it doesn't make much sense.

Gerry.

SteveEast
2009-10-23, 06:05
I copy the tracks into a folder. Each track has embedded album art but no folder.jpg in the folder. After scanning, within the web browser every track comes up with the correct album art, but on the SBC only the first alphabetical track album art shows on the display, whatever track is playing. If I remove the first track album art and do a full scan, other than this track all the subsequent art appears on the SBC and the web interface correctly. Go figure that one? Each track has the album name (e.g.Singles) embedded in each track so shows up in the listing as an album so can be selected from the album list. Maybe that's wrong, I dunno but worked fine in 7.3.4.

This behaviour is so difficult to explain without actually seeing it that I think the developers have enough to think about without adding what is really a minor issue. Maybe when all the important ones are sorted I'll submit it as a bug.

Just to add that iPeng on the iPod touch works fine and is a lot easier to use than the SBC in my opinion.

I've tried to explain it as closely as I can but even then it doesn't make much sense.

Gerry.

Actually this seems like a very clear explanation. I would guess that this was meant to handle the case where album art was *only* embedded in the *first* track so had to be used for all the other tracks. But it seems to have been allowed to override album art that *does* exist in the second through last tracks.

Steve.

Ben Sandee
2009-10-23, 06:09
On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 11:00 PM, timequest
<timequest.40hqxb1256270521 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> I've been reading about this issue - where artwork is not properly
> displayed or not displayed at all. I am experiencing the same issue.
> It's really not that bad though, only a small portion of my "albums"
> either don't display the artwork, or the wrong artwork (for a different
> album) is displayed instead of the correct cover art. Have there been
> any solutions to this issue yet?

You might have to be more specific. I've got artwork working fine for
everything -- and have pretty much since 6.x. 7.4 didn't break
anything for me. For those albums where it is failing you may need to
file a bug and attach a sample file.

Ben

Gerry123
2009-10-23, 06:19
Actually this seems like a very clear explanation. I would guess that this was meant to handle the case where album art was *only* embedded in the *first* track so had to be used for all the other tracks. But it seems to have been allowed to override album art that *does* exist in the second through last tracks.

Steve.

But doesn't allow override if the first track does have album art embedded.

I guess that's the way it should be as I said earlier it is "Album Art" not "Artist Art" but doesn't explain why it worked fine in 7.3.3. Maybe they had a change of heart on 7.4.x.

Gerry.