PDA

View Full Version : New Mac Mini

bigbossman
2009-10-22, 03:41
I'm about to retire my trusty old G4 1.42ghz Mini and replace it with the latest Intel 2.53ghz version, with 4 glorious gigs of ram and a 500gb HDD.
I'm running Leopard on my old G4, is there anyone having issues with Squeezebox Server v7.4.1 running under Snow Leopard?
I am expecting living networking and migration hell when I set the new computer up, this will be a true test of faith methinks...

squeeze-me
2009-10-22, 05:11
Nope, no problem whatsoever.

I'm running slimserver with a 1.83 ghz core duo MacbookPro with 4 gig of memory.

esbrewer
2009-10-22, 06:03
Runs well for me on Snow Leopard except for the Preference Panel for SBS 7.4 has to 'restart' in 32-bit mode every time you make changes. It only takes a few seconds, but a few people in these forums have complained about it.

squeeze-me
2009-10-22, 07:01
The copy available at Squeezenetwork doesn't go into 32-bit mode.

chrisla
2009-10-22, 08:58
You're running Leopard on a G4? That's a neat trick!

-Chris

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 3:41 AM, bigbossman
<bigbossman.40gerz1256208121 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> I'm about to retire my trusty old G4 1.42ghz Mini and replace it with
> the latest Intel 2.53ghz version, with 4 glorious gigs or ram and a
> 500gb HDD.
> I'm running Leopard on my old G4, is there anyone having issues with
> Squeezebox Server v7.4.1 running under Snow Leopard?
> I am expecting living networking and migration hell when I set the new
> computer up, this will be a true test of faith methinks...
>
>
> --
> bigbossman
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> bigbossman's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=29947
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=70162
>
>

jku
2009-10-22, 09:00
I'm about to retire my trusty old G4 1.42ghz Mini and replace it with the latest Intel 2.53ghz version, with 4 glorious gigs of ram and a 500gb HDD.

Have you noticed there is a new Mac Mini Server? You'd get 1000GB of storage and Mac OS X Server for only $100 more ($999).

This is the first Mac deal in a long time that I'm actually considering...

bolfings
2009-10-22, 10:41
But you lose the optical drive, and you get 2 500g 5400 drives. I'm still thinking the regular mini with the 4g/500g. with an external raid may be a better option? My mini, besides being the squeezecenter, is also the home theatre, so playing DVDs is kinda important -

exile
2009-10-22, 10:57
This is the first Mac deal in a long time that I'm actually considering...

i would steer you away from it. with the exception of refurbs there's never a "deal" to be had from apple.

instead of the mini server, I'd say buy a regular mini and then add on a 1tb drive like the ministack from newertech which fits perfectly with the mac mini. Then use a free software program like plex or boxee to create your owm home media server. also, the ministracks are 7200rpm drives.

jku
2009-10-22, 11:15
i would steer you away from it. with the exception of refurbs there's never a "deal" to be had from apple.
Oh, agreed. I like a lot of their hardware but have never bought any because the price premium is usually just unacceptable.

instead of the mini server, I'd say buy a regular mini and then add on a 1tb drive like the ministack from newertech which fits perfectly with the mac mini. Then use a free software program like plex or boxee to create your owm home media server. also, the ministracks are 7200rpm drives.
This I don't understand (unless you really need the optical driver, I wouldn't). Your solution is more expensive, takes more space and misses out on OS X server.

EDIT: oh, it wouldn't actually be more expensive if you had the basic HDD in the mini, it would be slightly cheaper.

exile
2009-10-22, 11:28
i just don't see what the osx server will give you in a home environment. I'm also always partial to faster drives.

i also have worked with an xsan server in my professional past and it was a complete pile of crap so i have very little faith that server technology is one of apple's strong suits.

MelonMonkey
2009-10-26, 20:49
You're running Leopard on a G4? That's a neat trick!

If you look up Apple's OS adoption rate, you might find that a very significant percentage of G4 machines are currently running Leopard (Mac OS 10.5). Maybe you're thinking of "Snow Leopard" (Mac OS 10.6) the more recent Intel-only release which can obviously, only be run on Intel systems.

No Apple system will compare favorably to the price of a netbook, but you can't buy an equivalent system from any other top-tier manufacturer and save more than $100. But savings aside, the systems are worth at least 2x their monetary cost in peace of mind, longevity and usability.

Running Plex or Boxee on a Mac makes it a "client" or an appliance, not a server. The server is the system that the Plex or Boxee front end would stream content from. Any mini makes a decent machine for Squeeze Server. Of course if you really want the web interface to fly you're going to want at least a dual quad-core Xeon instead. :)

But if you're never going to interact with the OS, you might as well run Linux on some cobbled together hardware that isn't as pretty nor durable, but may be faster and cheaper. Then you can use the mini as that client we mentioned earlier...

bigbossman
2009-10-27, 00:06
My G4 runs Leopard extremely well considering it vintage and the plethora of applications I have running, but support for the PowerPC platform is starting to wane so it's upgrade time.
I've decided on the 2.66ghz/320gb bundle, and I'll replace my 320gb IDE M9 Minipod drive with a 1.5tb version for Time Machine duties. That'll go nicely with my nice Iomega 1TB, which is simply brimming with delicious lossless and WAV files (+ the odd movie and picture).