PDA

View Full Version : Help! Trying to buy a SB Receiver in NZ

Grandell
2009-10-21, 19:03
I am the very happy owner of a Squeezebox Duet, which i purchased about 18 months ago, and it has honestly been one of the best toys i have ever had

i have recently upgraded my stereo, which has meant my old stereo has been moved to another room in the house, connected to some outdoor speakers, and i would like to add another receiver unit to it, so that i can listen to music at both ends of the house

now for the problem...

from what i have found (2-3 days of searching), the only places you can buy Squeezeboxes in New Zealand are from online stores, and their range is limited to the Duet, Boom, Transporter, and occasionally the SB3
i have asked all of these places if they are able to order me a receiver by itself, but no one is able to
we have many other stores (Dick Smiths, JB HiFi, Harvey Norman etc) that seem to stock every possible Logitech product EXCEPT Squeezeboxes :(

i have tried contacting suppliers, distributors, and even Logitech directly, but to no success.
I then tried online stores from overseas, as well as the online Slimdevices store, but as we run on 240V, and America is 110V, i believe i will need to buy either a new transformer, or an adaptor, to run them here

if this is my only option, so be it, but it seems like an aweful lot of trouble for what should be such a simple request

If someone could help me i would be eternally grateful. i just want a simple little receiver box so that i can sit out the back on the deck with a beer and listen to my music :(

So, does anyone know of somewhere in (or even near) NZ that might be able to help me? or somewhere online that i can buy something that will work with our power supply?

thanks,
Glen

Mnyb
2009-10-21, 19:56
If you are unable to find it near NZ

240V unit's ripcaster in UK or any other EU outlet.

Btw it's the same power supply 100-240 50/60Hz.
The difference is the adaptor plates that slides on to the supply.
If you are able to shop from the US site you can get adaptors here.
https://secure.slimdevices.com/products.php?product=Worldwide-Power-Plate-Kit

If you do a thorough search in this forum, you may even find the part numbers, if you want to source them from somewhere else.

bigbossman
2009-10-21, 21:40
I have no idea why the Squeezebox players are practically non existent in NZ, Logitech is all over the place in the stores Glen mentioned but any mention of a Duet or Squeezebox Classic usually has sales staff looking very puzzled.
I've been in touch with Logitech's PR Agency here in NZ regarding a review of the Touch I intend to write for The Dominion Post, hopefully this will raise the profile of an almost unheard of product in the country (I've reviewed the Transporter, Duet and Boom for Tone magazine).
BTW, I bought a Welborne Labs psu for my Duet from a mate of mine - I still have the original PSU, but will probably add another Receiver for another room. How cool is that!

Grandell
2009-10-21, 23:32
thats if you can find another receiver!

and puzzling is a complete understatement. why no one sells these is beyond me, as they would pretty much sell themselves!
if you're doing a review of the Touch, does that mean it will be getting it here soon?
also, if you're writing for the Dom, are you in welly too?

back on topic... if someone can confirm that the US versions come with a 110/240v transformer, then i can just buy one from amazon etc

bigbossman
2009-10-22, 03:30
thats if you can find another receiver!

and puzzling is a complete understatement. why no one sells these is beyond me, as they would pretty much sell themselves!
if you're doing a review of the Touch, does that mean it will be getting it here soon?
also, if you're writing for the Dom, are you in welly too?

back on topic... if someone can confirm that the US versions come with a 110/240v transformer, then i can just buy one from amazon etc

Hi Grandell - Ebay have Receivers for sale regularly, as I've got the OEM psu I'd just chuck the US one in the bin (sorry yanks) and substitute it for our own clean, green version.
It's a mystery why the best kept secret in audio is limited (in this country at least) to the odd computer store and on-line outfit.
About the Touch, here's what I was emailed from Logitech's PR agency "I just wanted to give you the heads up that we currently do not have the Logitech Squeeze box touch in NZ at the moment. The Logitech team are currently sourcing for stock to arrive in the next couple of months."
I'm up in Auckland, Wellington sounds like a nice change compared with this disaster area!!

Apteryx
2009-10-22, 03:47
I bought my Duet locally via the company i work for in Auckland (product is a small part of our quite large business but does mean we utilise the local distributors) - I'll ask our product people if we can get the Receiver - quite probably not, but can't hurt asking.

Grandell
2009-10-22, 14:26
I bought my Duet locally via the company i work for in Auckland (product is a small part of our quite large business but does mean we utilise the local distributors) - I'll ask our product people if we can get the Receiver - quite probably not, but can't hurt asking.

thanks, that would be fantastic

looks like i'll have to check out ebay/amazon again though, and do a bit of searching on here about alternative power supplies. it seems like they've done wonders for some systems...

thanks for your help guys :)

timbonz
2010-02-01, 22:20
I just got a Boom from pbtech, their listing most devices I thought...

Mushroom_3
2010-03-25, 01:27
There's a Receiver for sale on TradeMe at the moment.