PDA

View Full Version : New Music

iisfaq
2009-10-20, 01:35
I am trying to determine how new music is determined.

I am running 7.3.3

I have Music IP configured as well and SqueezeServer does a directory scan and then a Music IP scan.

If I add an album what defines if it is new music. Is it the date time of the Last Modified attribute of the Directory or of the Tracks. Is it the Date Created field of the directory or tracks?

this is under Windows

Is it only updated after Music IP has refreshed its database?

Any ideas appreciated..

Chris

Phil Leigh
2009-10-20, 01:39
I am trying to determine how new music is determined.

I am running 7.3.3

I have Music IP configured as well and SqueezeServer does a directory scan and then a Music IP scan.

If I add an album what defines if it is new music. Is it the date time of the Last Modified attribute of the Directory or of the Tracks. Is it the Date Created field of the directory or tracks?

this is under Windows

Is it only updated after Music IP has refreshed its database?

Any ideas appreciated..

Chris

Is it the date time of the Last Modified attribute of the ... Tracks

Yes it should be.

Siduhe
2009-10-20, 01:43
New Music is determined by the date/timestamp of the individual files. Many good tagging programs can be set either to modify the date/time stamp of the files when you update tags or not.

Re: MusicIP - that depends whether you are only using the MIP functionality to populate your Squeezecenter library or whether you are combining a Squeezecenter scan with a MIP scan. It sounds from your description as if you are doing the latter.

If so, Squeezecenter should only go off the date/timestamp of the files to populate New Music. If you are amending file tags and those songs aren't showing up in New Music, check whether your tagging program is set up not to modify the file properties.

Khuli
2009-10-20, 07:06
Is it the date time of the Last Modified attribute of the ... Tracks

Indeed so, although I've no idea why it doesn't use the created date. It can be very annoying to have a lot of 'new music' listed just because you updated a tag or something.
Offhand, I can't think of a single reason for a change in the modified date to indicate that the music was 'new'.

Phil Leigh
2009-10-20, 07:29
Indeed so, although I've no idea why it doesn't use the created date. It can be very annoying to have a lot of 'new music' listed just because you updated a tag or something.
Offhand, I can't think of a single reason for a change in the modified date to indicate that the music was 'new'.

It's a fair point - I agree that created date makes more sense in most contexts - but I guess it was just easier as they have to read the modified date to do the new/CHANGED rescan...

aubuti
2009-10-20, 07:49
One reason for not using the created date could be that not all filesystems have a "create time/date" field. I'm pretty sure ext3, commonly found on *nix systems, does not. That's one of the enhancements of ext4.