PDA

View Full Version : How can I see More Info for a playing radio stream?

ModelCitizen
2009-10-20, 00:02
I want to be able to see the URL or bit rate (or even the name!) of a playing radio station but can't seem to work out how to do this on the Boom. I can do is easily with every other SqueezePlayer I have. What am I missing?

Whoops, probably should have said, this with SBS 7.4.

Thanks.

MC

toby10
2009-10-20, 04:15
I want to be able to see the URL or bit rate (or even the name!) of a playing radio station but can't seem to work out how to do this on the Boom. I can do is easily with every other SqueezePlayer I have. What am I missing?

Whoops, probably should have said, this with SBS 7.4.

Thanks.

MC

You should be able to do so by simply arrowing RIGHT on the NP screen.

ModelCitizen
2009-10-20, 04:46
You should be able to do so by simply arrowing RIGHT on the NP screen.
This is what I expected but I tried it and it did not seem to work. I can't remember what did happen now and can't check as I'm at work.

MC

bpa
2009-10-20, 07:21
Not sure about right arrow but I know pressing the Wheel and then selecting More Info works.

ModelCitizen
2009-10-20, 08:13
Not sure about right arrow but I know pressing the Wheel and then selecting More Info works.
Hmm, that didn't work for me this morning and I think I'm beginning to realise why (maybe). I have grandma mode on. i.e I have one or two plugins installed that enable me to hit the knob to toggle between Now Playing and Navigation (at least I think that is what they do).

MC

ModelCitizen
2009-10-20, 16:01
Nope. I can't find anyway at all on my Boom with 7.4 to see more info for a radio stream (or even the thing to favourites or find the channel name etc).

Pressing the knob takes it out of now playing mode and into navigation mode. Pressing it in navigation mode drills down into the menu.

Hitting the right arrow *does exactly the same thing*.

What is ging on?

BTW. Turning the wheel either changes the volume (in now playing mode) or navigate the menu (navigation mode).

Is Grandma playing tricks or is this how 7.4 is on the Boom, or might there be another reason my Boom works like this. Any suggestions welcome.

MC

toby10
2009-10-21, 02:59
Dunno, that's not how mine works. Maybe your Now Playing settings?
Jump Back on Wake? Set to NP screen?

When you do arrow RIGHT and get Navigation, there is no More Info option to scroll too?

ModelCitizen
2009-10-21, 03:56
Just now (after a server restart) it worked correctly (a knob push took it the the More Info/Add to Fafourites etc menu). Now it has reverted to its previous behaviour and the required menu is nowhere to be found.

I have my screen saver set to Now playing. I tried "Jump to Now Playing" but that did not get the required bahviour either (and it made things worse as I could not seem to get back to the place I was in the menu system once the NP screensaver kicked in).

When it "works correctly" a push of the centre button brings up the More Info/Add to Favourites etc menu (is this a context menu?) but a press of the right arrow just reloads the radio station I'm currently listening to.

I'm amazed at how much of my time this system has taken up recently. :-(

MC

bpa
2009-10-21, 04:11
but a press of the right arrow just reloads the radio station I'm currently listening to.

Are you using remote or front panel ?

There is no "right arrow" on front panel - just "play" and "ffwd"
On remote there is "right arrow" "play" and "ffwd".

So I think wheel press is mapped to right arrow sometimes on your system.

ModelCitizen
2009-10-21, 04:16
I'm using the front panel. Since the advent of 7.4 I've found it safer to call "play" the right arrow as I'm not sure what it supposed to do anymore. E.g. I've just pressed it now whilst the Now Playing screen is active and I've been thrown back onto the navigation menu (in the place I was last at).

MC

bpa
2009-10-21, 04:46
IIRC the play button behaviour for old IP3K players has deliberately not been changed - only for new Squezeplay players.

This can be very confusing if you use the same remote on an SB3 and a Touch.

SteveEast
2009-10-21, 06:06
My Boom with 7.4 works in the "expected way" while in the Now Playing screen:

. Pressing the knob brings up the menu from which I can scroll and select "More Info".
. Pressing Play/RightArrow restarts the radio stream

I say "expected" because I don't think I'd ever used Play in this situation before so I wasn't sure what would happen. Or happened pre 7.4.

Steve.

ModelCitizen
2009-10-21, 06:35
To attempt to get to the bottom of this I've disabled the two plugins used for Grandma mode (Context Menu and SaverSwitcher). The playing screensaver is set to Now Playing (the default I believe).

It seems that when I first select a radio station (either from a preset Boom button or a Favourite) and hit the Boom button I receive the correct menu (the one with More Info etc). However, if I leave the radio playing and navigate somewhere else, wait for the Now Playing screen saver to kick back in and then hit the knob I just get taken back to where I left of navigating through the menu structure.

In both case play (or what I have been calling the right arrow) works as play.

I am beginning to see how this is probably the "correct" behaviour when the screensaver is set to "Now Playing".

I do not want to lose my place in the menu structure when the Now Playing screensaver kicks in but as a result of this it seems impossible to be able to get to the More Info menu for the currently playing item once you've navigated away from it.

This is not convenient and it is very confusing.

BTW. Is the knob supposed to have a different behaviour for a short and long push (like it did when in Grandma mode)?

MC

SteveEast
2009-10-21, 07:05
Yes, I see this behaviour too.

You can still get the More Info menu by navigating back to the Now Playing entry on the home menu.

This is unlike the Radio where pressing the knob always brings up the More Info menu.

There's no apparent difference between a short and a long press of the knob.

Steve.