PDA

View Full Version : Standalone phono stage?

audiomuze
2009-10-18, 18:45
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. I'm in the process of moving my folks from CD/LP to an SB3/laptop combination - at present they have about 100 of their albums FLAC encoded and in use with the SB3. They love it. The next challenge they've presented me is to either enable them to: 1) rip their LPs (many of which would be difficult to obtain on CD), and/or 2) enable them to listen to their LPs the old fashioned way.

The issue I'm faced with is that I recently replaced their old cheap and nasty integrated radio/tape/phono system with an old NAD separates system that doesn't include a phono stage in the preamp. Anyone know of a decent sounding standalone phono stage that can act as a go-between to the turntable and the preamp? Not looking for audiophile grade stuff, just something that will sound decent enough to enjoy the music on a 12 year old NAD separates system.

Mnyb
2009-10-18, 21:19
http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?info=boxdesign&cat=boxes&lang=en

Is a popular choice, I don't know how they sound have not shopped for riaa since 1994 .They have an USB model to, if you don't trust the analog in of your PC to record the output.

Pro-Ject Phono Box II goeas around €85 and they have some even cheaper models .
Don't go to cheap 12y old NAD is still decent stuff, and a good riaa is somewhat demanding with the low voltages involved. They sound really different so take time to listen to them, a model with selectable gain and impedances is prefered , I think some come with possibility to alter the capacitive load for mm pickups MC pickup is the trickiest part to do right.

Or NAD PP-2 Phono Preamplifier avaliable at amazon a 265$

Cambridge have one at 90$

RIAA/Phono stage is a jungle , I'm surprised that there are cheap alternatives . I thought phono stage had gone high end boutique stuff only .
The subject have been of no interest to me since 1994 so I'm out of the loop regarding what the hottest newest thing is. Price wise the sky is the limit.

Even if sound is somewhat uncritical, this boxes are small so borrow a handfull from a decent hifi shop and listen to them.

Maybe getting a new pickup would be nice, the moving rubber parts tends to dry and the stylys get wear and tear, get a pro to mount it if you don't know how the pickup is mounting is adjustable for a reason. Sadly most people (non audiphiles,that is ) pickups are mounted with gross errors and the weight and anti skating adjustments are out of the window, this damage records .

To actually record the output, there is a lot of old treads on this forum on the subjekt with a lot of good advice, a search in the ripping abd tagging subforum would certainly give something.
It's a lot of work do it only with the hard to get stuff if you value your time, the easy solution can be to download the content as a "recording" technique.

audiomuze
2009-10-19, 06:39
Thanks for the tip. Pro-Ject Phono Box II USB on order - now they can have the best of both worlds.

maggior
2009-10-19, 10:20
RIAA/Phono stage is a jungle , I'm surprised that there are cheap alternatives . I thought phono stage had gone high end boutique stuff only .

I think they are more mainstream now because PCs don't have a phono stage on their input and modern receivers don't include them for the most part any more. There is a mainstream demand for these devices now. I got one last year that has a built-in headphone amp, a DAC with both phono and line level inputs with optical, USB, and coax digital outputs for under $100. This allows me to perform vinyl transfers using my laptop without a stereo receiver - a much neater setup.

For some reason, last year there seemed to be a surge of USB turntables on the market, along with phono stage/USB soundcard devices. Vinyl continues to remain popular with many.

Mnyb
2009-10-19, 14:17
I think they are more mainstream now because PCs don't have a phono stage on their input and modern receivers don't include them for the most part any more. There is a mainstream demand for these devices now. I got one last year that has a built-in headphone amp, a DAC with both phono and line level inputs with optical, USB, and coax digital outputs for under $100. This allows me to perform vinyl transfers using my laptop without a stereo receiver - a much neater setup.

For some reason, last year there seemed to be a surge of USB turntables on the market, along with phono stage/USB soundcard devices. Vinyl continues to remain popular with many.

Eeek I eyeballed one of these USB turntables :) omg is there no limit to how crappy things can be, If you want vinyl for no money at all get something from a flee market you can find turntables made of actual metal and wood , change the pickup and maybe the drive belt , instant vinyl bliss !
I have to visit my attic to bring my old systemdeck down, but I have no MC stage Phono Stage or vinyls anymore .

maggior
2009-10-19, 19:51
Eeek I eyeballed one of these USB turntables :) omg is there no limit to how crappy things can be, If you want vinyl for no money at all get something from a flee market you can find turntables made of actual metal and wood , change the pickup and maybe the drive belt , instant vinyl bliss !
I have to visit my attic to bring my old systemdeck down, but I have no MC stage Phono Stage or vinyls anymore .

I've yet to read anything good about the USB turntables. There was also a USB tape deck - that made me cringe too :-).

My old turntable from back-in-the-day is still working. I just replaced the cart last year. I still have my vinyl - I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it.

My turntable is nothing special - a JVC direct drive from the late 80's. I put a Grado cartridge on it last year. I'm perfectly satisfied with the transfer's I'm able to make.

For the record, here is the USB soundcard/phono stage device I'm using:
http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?type=86&cat=9&id=128

I use this in combination with ASIO4ALL and my Vista laptop to record vinyl (currently using Audition 3) and to listen to music from my library via the headphone jack using J.River Media Jukebox.

pfarrell
2009-10-19, 20:00
maggior wrote:
> Mnyb;474576 Wrote:
>> Eeek I eyeballed one of these USB turntables :) omg is there no limit to
>> how crappy things can be, If you want vinyl for no money at all get

> I've yet to read anything good about the USB turntables. There was
> also a USB tape deck - that made me cringe too :-).

They are cheap.
They are sold at your local Guitar Center.

They record/play something related to the music in the LP.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

maggior
2009-10-19, 20:37
They record/play something related to the music in the LP.

So, you could say it produces something that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike music. :-).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrases_from_The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy# Not_entirely_unlike

pfarrell
2009-10-19, 20:59
maggior wrote:
> So, you could say it produces something that is almost, but not quite,
> entirely unlike music. :-).

For sure. Especially if you are one of the folks that claim that LPs
sound better than CDs. These folks tend to be obsessive about LPs,
turntables, cartridges, vertical alignment angles, etc.

When I was younger, I had a serious turntable and a very nice LP
collection. The CD seduced me with its lack of need for voodoo cleaning,
alignment, etc.

There may actually be some validity to the claim of the vinylphiles, but
to me, give me a Transporter playing FLAC anyday for serious listening,
or a Boom, Radio or Duet for nice sounding if less serious stuff.

Back On Topic: I decided long ago that the time (and somewhat the
effort) of transferring my LPs to FLAC is not worth it when the CDs are
availble. I know, some CDs are terribly mastered. I've only taken the
effort to transfer LPs that are out of print and wonderful.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

riffer
2009-10-20, 06:19
The main advantage I find to old LP's is their superior mastering. They played fewer tricks in the old days and the CD's and even the remastered LP's have suffered since. Play the original Vanda/Young AC/DC albums versus CD vs "Digital Remastered" Lp's for an example of what I am talking about.

maggior
2009-10-20, 06:35
Back On Topic: I decided long ago that the time (and somewhat the
effort) of transferring my LPs to FLAC is not worth it when the CDs are
availble. I know, some CDs are terribly mastered. I've only taken the
effort to transfer LPs that are out of print and wonderful.

For me, it's depends on the availability of the CD, the cost of the CD, and how important the album is for me. For instance, I recently transferred The Firm albums I have. It is interesting to listen to these again, but not worth the expense of the CD. And I happened to have some time on my hands.

The other part of it is that I enjoy the the vinyl transfer process. Back in the day, I enjoyed making tapes too. Sometimes I think I missed my calling as a recording engineer :-).

slinkeey
2009-10-22, 21:49
I know this is not audiophile but.....

I wanted to keep using my 32 year old turntable with my AVR.

My local electronic store (Chester Electronic Supply) had this.

http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?model=PP999

It is actually not that bad. Usually anything from pyramid is total shit but I gave it it a shot. I wanted it right away and it was on the shelf..

pski
2009-10-23, 16:43
So, you could say it produces something that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike music. :-).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrases_from_The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy# Not_entirely_unlike

See "limited fidelity alternative" or "starts with 'bose'"

Run away faster!!

P

pski
2009-10-23, 16:46
I know this is not audiophile but.....

I wanted to keep using my 32 year old turntable with my AVR.

My local electronic store (Chester Electronic Supply) had this.

http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?model=PP999

It is actually not that bad. Usually anything from pyramid is total shit but I gave it it a shot. I wanted it right away and it was on the shelf..

I bought the ART USB Phono Plus and have been very satisfied. (US$50-60.) If you have an attitude, they also offer a single tube version.

Although I can blast the "Create Music Files" option, I can also recommend "Spin-It-Again." Dead-easy to use.

maggior
2009-10-23, 19:22
I bought the ART USB Phono Plus and have been very satisfied. (US$50-60.)

I have one of these too. I provided a link regarding it in an earlier post in this thread.

It is a very well built device that works really really well. I highly recommend it.

KMorgan
2009-10-24, 05:41
How about this http://www.behringer.de/EN/Products/PP400.aspx