PDA

View Full Version : Volume

cecilialuna
2009-10-18, 16:01
I'm new, so forgive me if this is answered already. I have to admit, I didn't go through all the threads.

Ok, is it just my SB radio, or it standard...the volume is really low. I know it's not a boombox, but still, in order for me to really hear it on the other side of the room, the volume has to be 50 or above.

Is this a problem for anyone else?

peterw
2009-10-18, 16:26
Ok, is it just my SB radio, or it standard...the volume is really low. I know it's not a boombox, but still, in order for me to really hear it on the other side of the room, the volume has to be 50 or above.

Is this a problem for anyone else?

I think it's a deliberate design decision, so if you're using it on your nightstand late at night, you can turn it really low and have it not be too loud. I haven't seen any numbers from Logitech (and don't have a SPL meter myself), but Boom's lowest volume is about 24 dB quieter than Classic & Receiver for just this reason. As long as it's loud enough in the 50-100 range, is this really a problem?

vw195
2009-10-18, 16:26
I have the same issue (if it is one) but since it sounds great at 75+ its kind of a nonissue for me

cornflakeguy
2009-10-18, 18:42
I had the same thoughts on my Boom.

Currently its on the nightstand and 20-25 is good...mainly cause its right by my head.

I moved it to the kitchen, which is where it will go once I buy some Radios, and to just hear it across the kitchen it needed to be at 50-55.

It concerned me as I wondered what the average safe operating volume is on a Boom. If I need to crank it to 70 to be heard, is that ok? The high numbers I think is what scares us. :)

ccrome2
2009-10-18, 21:54
This is a deliberate design decision. It gives good resolution at the low end, and plenty of loudness at the high end. There is no way to damage the device by playing it too loud -- there is digital limiting, so even with an extremely hot input signal, no damage will happen. It may sound lousy when it clips, but that's clipping in the digital domain. Neither the amps or the speakers can get overloaded.

BTW, I'm planning to add some good compression to handle that clipping case more gracefully, but it's not implemented yet.

-Caleb

pippin
2009-10-19, 00:08
Caleb, would it be possible to get the volume ramps of the different SBs?

Chunkywizard
2009-10-19, 00:14
I like what you're thinking Pippin! To have different players in sync keep their relative volumes even when the ramp is different would be fab!

CW

pippin
2009-10-19, 01:09
I like what you're thinking Pippin! To have different players in sync keep their relative volumes even when the ramp is different would be fab!

Well, iPeng is doing something like that even now, yet it doesn't compensate for volume ramps.
This will never really be perfect since most amps and speakers also won't really have a strict linear or logarithmic volume level response, yet it would be good to be able to compensate for the bigger differences.

Right now I just do an average of a linear and a relative change (linear meaning +1 volume would increase volume on each device on a "Squeezebox" level 1 tick and relative would mean a 1% change would change the volume on each device by 1% of it's current level) which works remarkably well considering the fact that the underlying volume ramps are probably dramatically different.

cecilialuna
2009-10-24, 10:41
I made some adjustments. I still have the SB on my nightstand. I wired it to my stereo using the headphone jack. When I want to listen to it LOUD, I just hook up the headphone jack. Other times, I just disconnect it and listen to it normally. I know this may sound dumb, but it works for what I want. Thanks to all who posted. :)