PDA

View Full Version : Remote for Touch

audioch
2009-10-18, 08:25
My Touch will be placed where I can't see it. Can anyone recommend a handheld remote with a good size screen to operate the Touch (besides the Duet controller--screen is too small anyway)?

kesey
2009-10-18, 08:48
Do you have an iphone or an iPod touch? If yes, then use iPeng to control your Touch. If not, could well be worth your while getting one.

audioch
2009-10-18, 09:16
Don't want to spend an additional $250-$300 for the remote. Anytthing that works well for $150 or less?

dean
2009-10-18, 09:31
For under $150 dollars, you'll have to go with a one-way remote, like
one of the Harmony models. Unfortunately, the screen doesn't really
add anything in this case, except some soft buttons.

I'd have to recommend either a Controller or iPod touch if you want to
be able to browse your music from your hand, which puts you at $200-
$300.

On Oct 18, 2009, at 9:16 AM, audioch wrote:

>
> Don't want to spend an additional $250-$300 for the remote. Anytthing
> that works well for $150 or less?
>
>
> --
> audioch
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> audioch's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=33636
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=69967
>
>

audioch
2009-10-18, 10:01
OK. I might be able to get an Ipod Touch (8mb) off of Ebay for $150. All my computers etc. are all windows based--will I have compatibility issues or need additional aps, software etc.?

MeSue
2009-10-18, 13:23
Geeks.com had some refurbished iPod touches this week. I think the 8GB was $160 or so. You'll also need the iPeng app, which is around $10.

andynormancx
2009-10-18, 14:14
OK. I might be able to get an Ipod Touch (8mb) off of Ebay for $150. All my computers etc. are all windows based--will I have compatibility issues or need additional aps, software etc.?

The only additional software you'll need to install will be a copy of iTunes and you'll only need that once to setup the iPod Touch so you can buy the iPeng app to run on it. There won't be any compatibility issues to worry about.

audioch
2009-10-18, 14:38
Thanks, good so far. Will I be forced to use iTunes as my music source file(no flac support-this is bad as a lot of my music files are FLAC). Just trying to understand how the iTouch is interfacing with the SB Touch and my windows based computer. It seems simple enough but since I am not a MAC owner, I don't know the working of SlimDevices products with MAC amd don't want to purchase the iTouch if it means being forced to get a MAC or use iTunes as my music source file. I am happy with Sqeezecenter in windows.

MeSue
2009-10-18, 14:40
The only thing you need iTunes for is installing the iPeng app. There is a Windows version of iTunes.

JohnSwenson
2009-10-18, 15:33
In this situation the iTouch is just working as a platform to run the iPeng remote controler software. The music doesn't go through it in any way, so the fact that its an Apple device is irrelevant. The iPeng software will talk to the Squeeze Box Server you are using (either on another computer or the one built in the SBTouch) over a WiFi network. The music data goes from the server to the SBTouch directly, bypassing the iTouch, which only sends control information.

(boy is that confusing having a Touch control a Touch!)

John S.

gweempose
2009-10-18, 19:38
You will be extremely pleased with iPeng and the iPod Touch. It's a very slick program, and it works quite well. In many ways, I like it more than my controllers.

Merlinwerks
2009-10-18, 20:09

FWIW, for $199 you can get a Factory Certified (essentially new) 16gb Touch with shipping and 1 yr warranty included.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod/ipod_touch

gweempose
2009-10-18, 21:07
I have a first generation Touch. Out of curiosity, would there be any advantage in upgrading to the newer version as far as iPeng is concerned? For example, is the new Touch faster or does it have a better screen?

TTBadDog
2009-11-29, 16:26
TTT bumping this as I am considering purchasing a SQB Touch or the Duet. I see plus and minus to each. The biggest hurdle I have is with the smallish Duet remote. I could live with the increased cost of going with the Touch and having to pony up for an iPod if the functionality was there.
So back to the original Q, will any iPod be as good as another to use as a remote?

Will I be able to easily surf the web based radio stations?

Tony T
2009-11-29, 19:52
TTT bumping this as I am considering purchasing a SQB Touch or the Duet. I see plus and minus to each. The biggest hurdle I have is with the smallish Duet remote. I could live with the increased cost of going with the Touch and having to pony up for an iPod if the functionality was there.
So back to the original Q, will any iPod be as good as another to use as a remote?

Will I be able to easily surf the web based radio stations?

FWIW, I use the iPeng with a SB Radio. The iPeng connects to mysqueezebox.com (It will connect to a squeeze box server if you have one) and is similar in functionality to the "Remote" on mysqueezebox.com. The iPeng has a button for Internet Radio.

See http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ for screenshots.

Tony

Sosa
2009-12-10, 16:14
Hi,i've 2 questions.
The first: suppose to have an hard disk full of songs connected via usb to squeezebox touch. So, can I control squeezebox touch and play the music from this hard disk using ipod touch -with ipeng- directly taking the pc off?
And if is possible to do this, have i to turn on a wireless modem or ipod connects directly to squeezebox touch (and plays music from an hard disk connected via usb to squeezebox touch) without the need of a modem on?
Thank you and sorry for my english

talvins
2010-03-04, 11:38
Hi,

And what about slimcontrol (http://sc.sciatec.de/index.html) with a Windows Mobile device ?

Tony_Jeffree
2010-03-11, 15:01
My Touch will be placed where I can't see it. Can anyone recommend a handheld remote with a good size screen to operate the Touch (besides the Duet controller--screen is too small anyway)?

If you have a device that will run Windows Mobile (e.g., HP iPAQ or similar - should be able to get one for not much) then you can use SlimControl -

http://www.sciatec.de/SlimControl/index.html

Seems to work pretty well for me.

Regards,
Tony

andynormancx
2010-03-13, 01:51
Hi,i've 2 questions.
The first: suppose to have an hard disk full of songs connected via usb to squeezebox touch. So, can I control squeezebox touch and play the music from this hard disk using ipod touch -with ipeng- directly taking the pc off?

Yes your computer can be off, iPeng on the iPod will communicate directly with your Squeezebox Touch.

And if is possible to do this, have i to turn on a wireless modem or ipod connects directly to squeezebox touch (and plays music from an hard disk connected via usb to squeezebox touch) without the need of a modem on?

The iPod connects via wifi to your network, so yes you need to have a wireless access point or a router with wifi turned on.

So to summarise, to play music using iPeng + Squeezebox Touch you need:

- the USB drive plugged into the SB Touch
- a wifi router/access point that the SB Touch is connected to (either by wifi or wired Ethernet) turned on
- an iPod Touch/iPhone running iPeng

JIJ3
2010-03-15, 20:34
If you have a device that will run Windows Mobile (e.g., HP iPAQ or similar - should be able to get one for not much) then you can use SlimControl -

http://www.sciatec.de/SlimControl/index.html

Seems to work pretty well for me.

Regards,
Tony

I agree enthusiastically. Using my Omnia II cell phone (which I had anyway) with this program gives me a much better controller than the Duet controller (which now sits in its cradle, ignored). Lyrics, track info, album art, complete control, with a MUCH larger display. WELL worth 10 euros. I am using this now to control my SB3 and receiver, and plan to use it with the Touch (sometime).

Best, Jack

Locuth
2010-03-16, 05:24
If you try SlimControl with the Touch - would you share your experience with us.
I'd really like to have SC fully support the Touch.

BTW - a new release is coming up. On the weekend.
It will feature a download feature for missing album covers.
And an mp3 download from SQCenter to your mobile.
"never leave your home without music" as flattermann aka SqueezeCommander puts it.

Take care
Sebastian

ShutterShock
2010-03-17, 12:23
My Touch will be placed where I can't see it. Can anyone recommend a handheld remote with a good size screen to operate the Touch (besides the Duet controller--screen is too small anyway)? I'll also have the SB Touch located where it's generally inconvenient to operate. I realize it doesn't meet your criteria, but I'm looking forward to using my SB Controller as the Touch's primary remote.

To me, the improved Controller UI (from a release last fall), along with gradual improvements in performance in recent releases, make it an attractive remote for the Touch. Also, one advantage the Controller has over an iPod Touch or iPhone is the it can be operated using one hand. That means you can have a nice glass of wine in the other.

flattermann
2010-03-18, 05:48
It will feature a download feature for missing album covers.
And an mp3 download from SQCenter to your mobile.
"never leave your home without music" as flattermann aka SqueezeCommander puts it.

That nice. :-)

Now we only have to convince someone with Perl skills to implement
https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8808

Christian

Locuth
2010-03-22, 04:03
Yes nice isn't is - wonder where I got this idea ;-)
As to the transcoding: You'd like to be able to download/transcode files besides stream.mp3? Yes that would be cool.
However a little against the SlimServer philosophy, I'm afraid. So Logitech probably won't support this much.

flattermann
2010-03-22, 04:14
Yes nice isn't is - wonder where I got this idea ;-)
As to the transcoding: You'd like to be able to download/transcode files besides stream.mp3? Yes that would be cool.
However a little against the SlimServer philosophy, I'm afraid. So Logitech probably won't support this much.

Yes, at the moment, we can only download the original music file to the device.
(Ok, stream.mp3 transcodes, but that's not really a "download", just a streaming.)

That's fine for file formats that are supported on the mobile platform, but e.g. FLAC is not supported on Android. That means that I can download the FLACs to my mobile, but I'm unable to play them. :-(

So, yes, an on-the-fly-transcoding on the SBS for these files would be very nice. ;-)

It would even be nice for MP3s, e.g. if you have your music collection in MP3 320k but you want to use MP3 128k on the mobile to save space...

Locuth
2010-03-22, 04:22
Doesn't the FLAC take forever to download.
I get a 5 minutes mp3 in 45 seconds or so (11 MB/s).

In SqueezeCommander, do you provide any playback for the donloaded tracks or something to browse them?

Sebastian

flattermann
2010-03-22, 04:37
Doesn't the FLAC take forever to download.
I get a 5 minutes mp3 in 45 seconds or so (11 MB/s).

In SqueezeCommander, do you provide any playback for the donloaded tracks or something to browse them?

Sebastian

Well, I get around 500kb/s. I encode my music in Ogg Q7, the songs are around 7-10MB. That means it takes around 15-20 seconds per song.

Sure, using FLAC would take much longer, but as Android cannot play FLAC, it's pretty senseless anyway. :-)

I do not offer direct playback in SqueezeCommander. After downloading the songs, I register them in the Android Media database. After that, they can be played with any Music Player App on the phone.

Asenath83
2010-03-23, 03:57
[QUOTE=flattermann;527188]Sure, using FLAC would take much longer, but as Android cannot play FLAC, it's pretty senseless anyway. :-)[QUOTE]
I beg to differ. Apparently Cyanogen's mod is able to play (16-bit) FLAC files (see http://www.cyanogenmod.com/about). I haven't had any files available to test that on my G1 yet but I can do so when I get home.

Here's what he used to enable FLAC support:
http://the-b.org/FLAC_on_Android

flattermann
2010-03-23, 04:05
Sure, using FLAC would take much longer, but as Android cannot play FLAC, it's pretty senseless anyway. :-)
I beg to differ. Apparently Cyanogen's mod is able to play (16-bit) FLAC files (see http://www.cyanogenmod.com/about). I haven't had any files available to test that on my G1 yet but I can do so when I get home.

Here's what he used to enable FLAC support:
http://the-b.org/FLAC_on_Android

Let's hope FLAC support will make it into Vanilla Android, too.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=1461

Of course, if you are using CyanogenMod, you can already use SqueezeCommander to download the FLACs to your mobile. (Well, you can download them with any Android version, but you will only be able to actually PLAY them with CyanogenMod... :-) )

Even with FLAC support in Vanilla Android, it may be a nice option to support transcoded downloads, because the quality of e.g. a Q6 OggVorbis should be sufficient for mobile playback and it saves a lot of space and downloading time. :-)