PDA

View Full Version : Long CNET Review of SqBox Radio

eap
2009-10-17, 08:38
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-audio-receivers-dars/logitech-squeezebox-radio-black/4505-6470_7-33770452.html?tag=rtcol;txt

They give it 4 out of 5 stars. They also review the alarm functionality -- left out of other reviews.

eap
2009-10-17, 08:53
I agree with these critiques of the alarm functionality in the review:

"when you go to select an alarm sound, you don't get to hear what that sound is; we also couldn't find a way to pick just a plain old alarm sound. And when you set the alarm volume, you set it based on a number out of 100, without getting to actually hear how loud that is."

Will these issues be fixed in 7.4.1 --

1. hear the alarm sound you are thinking of picking

2. hear what the volume of the alarm sounds like

It seems like #2 is particularly important -- as what if the volume is too low so you don't wake up?

Anyone know if Logitech is planning on adding this via software updates?

mherger
2009-10-17, 09:19
> Will these issues be fixed in 7.4.1 --

No, 7.4.1 is a bugfix release. New feature will be introduced in 7.5. Feel free to write an ehancement request on bugs.slimdevices.com.

JJZolx
2009-10-17, 11:33
I agree with these critiques of the alarm functionality in the review:

"when you go to select an alarm sound, you don't get to hear what that sound is; we also couldn't find a way to pick just a plain old alarm sound. And when you set the alarm volume, you set it based on a number out of 100, without getting to actually hear how loud that is."

Will these issues be fixed in 7.4.1 --

1. hear the alarm sound you are thinking of picking

2. hear what the volume of the alarm sounds like

It seems like #2 is particularly important -- as what if the volume is too low so you don't wake up?

A request for the ability to preview the alarm sound has been around since the Boom was in development. Never happened.

https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9057

Wouldn't #2 simply be a matter of adjusting the volume while you're listening to the preview? Maybe I'm missing something.

BTW: How do you set the Radio's alarm to use the built-in alarm sound? Seems like a simple but effective sound to use, but I can't see anywhere that it's offered in the alarm settings. I think you get it if you either 1) disconnect the Radio from the network or 2) select Current Playlist and have an empty playlist. The second is easier than the first, but you have to clear the playlist the night before, which you're going to either forget or screw up at 2AM.

eap
2009-10-17, 13:36
A request for the ability to preview the alarm sound has been around since the Boom was in development. Never happened.

https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9057

Wouldn't #2 simply be a matter of adjusting the volume while you're listening to the preview? Maybe I'm missing something.

BTW: How do you set the Radio's alarm to use the built-in alarm sound? Seems like a simple but effective sound to use, but I can't see anywhere that it's offered in the alarm settings. I think you get it if you either 1) disconnect the Radio from the network or 2) select Current Playlist and have an empty playlist. The second is easier than the first, but you have to clear the playlist the night before, which you're going to either forget or screw up at 2AM.

If you can't preview the alarm sound, how can you adjust the volume while listening to the preview?????

JJZolx
2009-10-17, 13:48
If you can't preview the alarm sound, how can you adjust the volume while listening to the preview?????

I just meant that once you have the ability to preview the sound then the ability to hear how loud you want it is also solved. It's not a separate problem.