PDA

View Full Version : Official iPhone/iPod Remote App?

tcdv
2009-10-17, 04:34
Hi
Im new around here, and loving the products but at the moment do not want to buy the dedicated remote as I always have my iPhone in my pocket.

I know there are a couple of Squeezebox apps on the iphone App store, but are there any plans for an official app like Sonos do?

Thanks

garym
2009-10-17, 05:21
you will not go wrong with the iPeng remote app. Just search these forums and you'll see lots of positive feedback. If there ever was an "official" iphone app (which is doubtful), we'd be lucky if it was half as good as ipeng.

carrera
2009-10-17, 06:22
Hi,

i would be glad also for an "official" iPhone remote. But, there is no, and I think this is because Logitech wants to sell the cotroller. Right now with the non fuctional audio through the controller, I think there is no reason to buy one.

So if you are interested in a good and functional iPhone remote go for iPeng.

Kind regards
carrera

pippin
2009-10-17, 07:44
Tcdv,

Do you mean "official" as in "free"?
;-)

mherger
2009-10-17, 09:05
> i would be glad also for an "official" iPhone remote. But, there is no,
> and I think this is because Logitech wants to sell the cotroller. Right

I can't say what the officials think about this. But I personally would consider it a waste of time trying to come up with something in par with iPeng.

Siduhe
2009-10-17, 09:29
Another vote for iPeng - and I have a Controller! Since the last upgrade it's become my favourite remote app for controlling my players. No connection to either SD or pippin, just a happy user of both their products.

tcdv
2009-10-17, 09:49
cool, thanks for the advise

Its not that I mind paying a small amount for a well made application, I just though an official app may be faster and better built with having direct 1st hand knowledge on how Squeezecenter works and is built.

Ill get iPeng now, and give it a go.

cunobelinus@mac.com
2009-10-17, 10:21
If you do, then I suspect that before long you'll be wondering how you
could think that an official app could be faster and better built.
iPeng is very well made indeed, and a lot faster than the native SB
interface.

You'll also find that this forum sometimes turns into an iPeng
feedback and CS line direct to and from the developer, who seems to be
always about (and no bad thing either!)

On 17 Oct 2009, at 17:49, tcdv wrote:

>
> cool, thanks for the advise
>
> Its not that I mind paying a small amount for a well made application,
> I just though an official app may be faster and better built with
> having
> direct 1st hand knowledge on how Squeezecenter works and is built.
>
> Ill get iPeng now, and give it a go.
>
>
>

aubuti
2009-10-17, 21:25
Its not that I mind paying a small amount for a well made application, I just though an official app may be faster and better built with having direct 1st hand knowledge on how Squeezecenter works and is built.
Because SC/SBS is open-source, anyone who understands Perl can have that first-hand knowledge on how it works.

Markhh2
2009-10-18, 08:29
or third the Ipeng endorsement. Best $9 I spent on my system.

Pascal Hibon
2009-10-18, 11:24
+1 for iPeng. Fantastic application!

simonjedrake
2009-10-18, 12:00
Let me join this iPeng appreciation society thread, it has totally changed the usability of my SC installation. It is so professional in how it's put together & it's natural ease of use. The only problem it has given me is what to do with my Duet Controller now...............
Simon

ajkidle
2009-10-18, 12:30
Ditto. iPeng rocks!

If Logitech ever decides they need an "official" app, they would be silly to do anything other than (attempt) to buy Pippin's work (or hire him, or whatever) and rebrand the app. Total waste of time for the Squeezebox developers to rebuild this wheel.

pippin
2009-10-18, 15:55

I should add that I do get really good support from the side of Logitech if it comes to understand how things work or to make things work, they have also always been very responsive to work on all the feature requests I file towards the server.

Thanks!!!

morris_minor
2009-10-19, 01:28
Neither of my two controllers gets half as much use as iPeng. For me, this was the killer app that steered me towards the iPhone in the first place; it even made up for the iPhone's crap camera (after the old N95 . . ).

The latest update to iPeng was a big improvement, too. Thanks Pippin!

ModelCitizen
2009-10-19, 02:14
I should add that I do get really good support from the side of Logitech if it comes to understand how things work or to make things work, they have also always been very responsive to work on all the feature requests I file towards the server.
That's great as I am sure iPeng sells units for Logitech. Even more so when iPeng can make an iPhone a player. I'd have though the iPeng/iPhone combination would be a route into buying Squeezedevices for a lot of people.

MC

Panotaker
2009-10-19, 04:19
I just got my Transporter on Friday. I found out about Ipeng yesterday and got the app for my Iphone. I love that app! It is super slick. I was surprised that I got it working with no problems and got the basics figured out. The touch screen is a little too sensitive, but I probably just have to get used to it. I was going to order the Duet Controller, but now I don't have to.

andynormancx
2009-10-19, 04:29
The touch screen is a little too sensitive, but I probably just have to get used to it.
I think you'll find that other touch screens you have used were too insensitive ;)

It is always interesting to see people who have used resistive touch screens have their first encounter with an iPhone/iPod Touch. They are always stabbing at the screen, it takes a while before they realise what you really need to do it stroke the screen rather than viciously tapping it.

(no doubt the same applies to other devices with capacitive screens)

mortslim
2009-10-19, 19:24
Three cheers for iPeng. Makes the whole squeezebox experience much better.

DaveWr
2009-10-20, 09:18
+1- iPeng is amazing value for an application. Three Cheers for Pippin.

Dave

gharris999
2009-10-20, 09:50
I've been more than happy with iPeng. Worth it at more than twice the price.