PDA

View Full Version : Limit to number of synched players served? Unsynched?

gorman
2009-10-15, 00:59
Let's say I buy a Touch, connect a fat 1TB USB harddrive and terminate into oblivion my SqueezeCenter/Server installation on my PC.

What would be the upper limit of synched players that the Touch would be able to serve?
What would be the upper limit of simultaneous different music streams that the Touch would be able to serve?

Eyeballing would be fine, unless in the very low numbers, then I guess I'd need a precise figure.

TIA

gorman
2009-10-18, 03:09
Another question: if I connect an USB disk to the Touch, will I then be able to see it as a network resource of some kind?

Being able to copy stuff over it from other machines on the same network would be importanto to me.

Edit: also, how's performance with iPeng like when using the Touch as a server?

Mnyb
2009-10-18, 03:18
Another question: if I connect an USB disk to the Touch, will I then be able to see it as a network resource of some kind?

Being able to copy stuff over it from other machines on the same network would be important to me.

Edit: also, how's performance with iPeng like when using the Touch as a server?

I said to have samba installed so it should appear as a disk share on your network .

gorman
2009-10-18, 03:28
I said to have samba installed so it should appear as a disk share on your network .Thanks, one answer down :)

Although... the horror stories about 7.4 are *really* scaring me. Luckily there's still some time before Touch becomes available and I'm in no hurry.

iPeng performance and max number of players supported still needing info. TIA to anyone helping.

Mnyb
2009-10-18, 03:57
I wonder if it really could be a simple metric for max number of players.

The file format used loads the networking differently.
Use of visualizers as vu meter or spectrum analyzer comes from the server to.
Type of player the reciever must be less demanding for the server (no UI and no display ) The transporter have two displays and a lot knobs and stuff.
Any controllers in use scrolling trough the library demanding cover art.

Turn it the other way how many players do you plan to use and what kind of players. Then ask support about it .

"I plan to use A SB3's X SBR's Y Touches and Z Controllers will this work with the built in server on one Touch"

radish
2009-10-19, 08:38
The main problem is that very few people have spent any serious time with SBS on the Touch, including testers. We'll know more when it's ready for playing with :)