PDA

View Full Version : A couple of bugbears..

furtive
2009-10-13, 02:02
I'm using my radio as a bedside alarm clock and it works great.

However I have a couple of issues with it

Firstly, when the alarm goes off the display changes from showing the big time to showing the time in a tiny font along with text telling me I can either turn it off or snooze it. This means that in my half-alseep state I can't just glance at the radio to find out what time it is, especially without my glasses on. What is needed is a setting that keeps the clock BIG when the alarm activates. I know my alarm has gone off, and I know I can turn it off, so I don't need the screen to tell me that every morning.

And secondly it would be great to have a screensaver that shows the clock BIG but also has 2 lines of text to show Now Playing information. There is plenty of room on the screen to do this but currently I can either have the time displayed or I can have the album art displayed (with a microscopic clock)

Both of the above would greatly enhance the functionality of the radio as a clock radio alarm clock thingy

DigitalMitch
2009-10-13, 04:19
I think Erland's custom clock applet is what you need as a screensaver ...

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=68269&highlight=custom+clock

Mitch

furtive
2009-10-13, 05:08
Awesome. Looks perfect for my 2nd issue, thanks.

Still won't solve my first issue when the alarm goes off though

peterw
2009-10-13, 05:20
I think Erland's custom clock applet is what you need as a screensaver ...

Perhaps not until he figures out how to make it work as a When Alarm Playing screensaver: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=68551

Philip Meyer
2009-10-13, 05:28
Firstly, when the alarm goes off the display changes from showing the big time to showing the time in a tiny font along with text telling me I can either turn it off or snooze it. This means that in my half-alseep state I can't just glance at the radio to find out what time it is, especially without my glasses on. What is needed is a setting that keeps the clock BIG when the alarm activates. I know my alarm has gone off, and I know I can turn it off, so I don't need the screen to tell me that every morning.

I think this is captured in my enhancement request: https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=13602

Your second point is probably covered by a third-party applet - there's a couple of alternative screensavers. However, I don't think they can be set as an Alarm Screensaver currently.

Classic Squeezebox players have an Alarm Screensaver mode, so you can choose a different display. My preference would be for a Now Playing screen, displaying the current time, or an alternative screensaver, which displays the now playing info.

0xdeadbeef
2009-10-13, 15:14
Besides 3rd party screensavers and plugins don't work if the Radio is not connected to a SBS. There should be a solution when connected to MySqueezebox.com.

furtive
2009-10-15, 12:04
I must be going mad. I can't see the Custom Clock plugin anywhere. It's not listed in the 3rd party plugins, and I've added Erlands plugin repository and his beta one, and I still can't see it.

So where is it?

peterw
2009-10-15, 16:39
Besides 3rd party screensavers and plugins don't work if the Radio is not connected to a SBS. There should be a solution when connected to MySqueezebox.com.

3rd party screensavers for the new gear -- Controller, Radio, Touch -- *do* work when connected to MySB; that's an advantage of the SqueezePlay/SqueezeOS platform. But the screen you see on Radio when an alarm goes off is not a screensaver. Currently there seems to be no way for a 3rd party applet to act as an alarm screensaver on Radio. Hopefully this will improve, just as the extensibility of the server-side logic for old players improved over the years.

erland
2009-10-17, 22:20
I must be going mad. I can't see the Custom Clock plugin anywhere. It's not listed in the 3rd party plugins, and I've added Erlands plugin repository and his beta one, and I still can't see it.

So where is it?

You install in from the interface on the device, goto "Settings/Advanced/Applet Installer".