PDA

View Full Version : minor curious clock issue

aubuti
2009-10-12, 10:58
I presently have both a beta (PB1) SB Radio and a Boom in my bedroom. They both have clock screensavers. I noticed recently that even though they are connected to the same SBS, the SB Radio clock is about 15 seconds behind the clock on the Boom. A quick check of other SBs in the house indicates that their time is the same as the Boom's, so that the Radio is the odd one out.

15 seconds difference is not going to make me late for work in the morning, but I am curious about how this discrepancy exists. Anyone know?

snarlydwarf
2009-10-12, 11:25
I presently have both a beta (PB1) SB Radio and a Boom in my bedroom. They both have clock screensavers. I noticed recently that even though they are connected to the same SBS, the SB Radio clock is about 15 seconds behind the clock on the Boom. A quick check of other SBs in the house indicates that their time is the same as the Boom's, so that the Radio is the odd one out.

15 seconds difference is not going to make me late for work in the morning, but I am curious about how this discrepancy exists. Anyone know?

The boom and other ip3k players don't have a clock really... what they display is whatever the server tells them. (Not entirely true for a Boom, it has a clock for alarms if the server fails, but it isn't used for display at all as long as the server is connected.)

My radio won't be here until tomorrow, but I believe it just periodically updates from the server. Not sure if it uses NTP for syncing or not, but it's not just a blind display like the Boom/SB3/SB2/SB1/etc line.

aubuti
2009-10-12, 12:24
Right, I knew that the IP3K players don't have a clock (except the Boom's RTC), but wasn't thinking that the new players *do*. I just power cycled the Radio, thinking the reboot might trigger a time sync against the SBS server, and now the Radio is within a second or so of the Boom. Thanks.