PDA

View Full Version : Excessive buffering and tracks that wont play

RussT
2009-10-12, 09:35
I have a good set-up I think :-). I run a Squeezebox Boom and a Duet connected to my amplifier. I also have a QNAP Network Attached Storage device which has Squeezecentre installed and all my music on it. The music is stored in an iTunes Music folder. I back-up/copy my desktop iTunes folders once a week to the NAS. I have noticed a couple of problems however and was wondering if anyone has any pointers.

1) Some of the music does not play. Initially I thought it was DRM related as it seemed to be only albums I had purchased via iTunes but I have noticed it with other albums as well which I have ripped from CD's I own?

2) When playing the radio it interupts and buffers quite regularly. I have checked the network settings on the Wiki against my ISP's Netgear router and they seem fine but it still does it?

I would appreciate anyone cleverer than me offer a few words of advice :-)

Phil Leigh
2009-10-12, 09:40
I have a good set-up I think :-). I run a Squeezebox Boom and a Duet connected to my amplifier. I also have a QNAP Network Attached Storage device which has Squeezecentre installed and all my music on it. The music is stored in an iTunes Music folder. I back-up/copy my desktop iTunes folders once a week to the NAS. I have noticed a couple of problems however and was wondering if anyone has any pointers.

1) Some of the music does not play. Initially I thought it was DRM related as it seemed to be only albums I had purchased via iTunes but I have noticed it with other albums as well which I have ripped from CD's I own?

2) When playing the radio it interupts and buffers quite regularly. I have checked the network settings on the Wiki against my ISP's Netgear router and they seem fine but it still does it?

I would appreciate anyone cleverer than me offer a few words of advice :-)

What software did you use to rip?

RussT
2009-10-12, 09:48
iTunes

Phil Leigh
2009-10-12, 09:50
so can you see any correlation between files which will/won't play?
What exactly happens when you try and play one?

RussT
2009-10-12, 10:43
I thought the the files which wouldnt play were only the ones I had purchased and downloaded from iTunes but now its both them and ones which I ripped via Itunes but others which were ripped via iTunes play so there does not seem to be any ryhme or reason. When I try to play one it comes up on the controller or iPeng on my iPhone and then just wont respond to the play normally when you select a track or album it automatically starts playing...

Also the internet radio keeps buffering... and cutting out and I dont know why?

Thanks for your help

Phil Leigh
2009-10-12, 10:50
I thought the the files which wouldnt play were only the ones I had purchased and downloaded from iTunes but now its both them and ones which I ripped via Itunes but others which were ripped via iTunes play so there does not seem to be any ryhme or reason. When I try to play one it comes up on the controller or iPeng on my iPhone and then just wont respond to the play normally when you select a track or album it automatically starts playing...

Also the internet radio keeps buffering... and cutting out and I dont know why?

Thanks for your help
what format are your files? - m4a?
I presume all of your files are in one place?

You may need to turn on some logging and have a look at server.log

RussT
2009-10-12, 11:12
a mixture of M4a and MP3, yes all the files are in an Itunes Music folder on my NAS copied from my Itunes folder on my PC

Phil Leigh
2009-10-12, 11:15
a mixture of M4a and MP3, yes all the files are in an Itunes Music folder on my NAS copied from my Itunes folder on my PC

Well I guess that rules out the obvious problems... time to take a look in server.log

Matt Wise
2009-10-12, 11:30

what kind of wireless access point?

RussT
2009-10-13, 01:19
Phil, How do I look at the server logs?

Matt, I run a Netgear DG834GT which is supplied by my service provider

Phil Leigh
2009-10-13, 01:29
Phil, How do I look at the server logs?

Matt, I run a Netgear DG834GT which is supplied by my service provider

Russ - you need the help of a Qnap/Linux expert here (not me!)

pski
2009-10-13, 20:16
iTunes

Did you select "use error correction?"

If not, you will need to re-rip.

P

RussT
2009-10-17, 03:45
I re-ripped a cd that was not playing with error correction and it still did not play?