PDA

View Full Version : 7.41rc: working OK with musicIP?

bobkoure
2009-10-12, 05:04
I see that the one musicIP issue I've seen reported here with ver 7.4 is fixed in 7.41 (bug 14470 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14470) - thank you Michael!)
Is there anyone here running a recent 7.41 with musicIP? No/any problems?
I'd love to run 7.4x, but musicIP's a major part of my listening - and a rescan takes all day (slow "low-carbon" server, medium sized collection)
Thanks!

Phil Leigh
2009-10-12, 05:11
I see that the one musicIP issue I've seen reported here with ver 7.4 is fixed in 7.41 (bug bug 14470 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14470) - thank you Michael!)
I'd love to run 7.4x, but musicIP's a major part of my listening - and a rescan takes all day (slow "low-carbon" server, medium sized collection)
Thanks!

No problems here - works just as it always did!

bobkoure
2009-10-12, 05:33
Thanks!
About to take the plunge...

bobkoure
2009-10-12, 07:42
About to take the plunge...
silly me

[09-10-12 09:49:54.8944] main::main (300) Error: Failed when running main scan: [Can't call method "stillScanning" on an undefined value at /<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\scanner.exe>Slim/Music/PlaylistFolderScan.pm line 103.
]

I have multiple folders - all as shortcuts-to-folders in a music folder.
Looks like the scanner got through the first of these - and failed.
Will try again before I submit a bug.
Bob

Phil Leigh
2009-10-12, 07:47
silly me

I have multiple folders - all as shortcuts-to-folders in a music folder.
Looks like the scanner got through the first of these - and failed.
Will try again before I submit a bug.
Bob

Are any of these shortcuts to mapped network drives or are they all pointing at disks/folders on a local hard drive?

bobkoure
2009-10-12, 10:19
Thanks for the fast response!
They're all local to the server.

I think I might have the issue sorted - go to the SBS control panel and delete all preferences, reboot (not sure that was necessary), again "look for new and changed music".
I'm now up to 30K scanned (of 60).
I was going to wait for a successful scan (which looks to be at least another few hours) to update.
Interestingly (well, to me...) the first time - the one that failed - the scanner was just scanning the alphabetically first folder-shortcut. This time it appears to be interleaving different folders, and it looks as though the folders chosen for interleaving are from different physical devices. IMO very cool.
I'll update once I know - but things are looking great.

bobkoure
2009-10-12, 15:40
the scan went fairly quickly - about six and a half hours for ~60K tracks, including an hour or so to get musicIP info.

ModelCitizen
2009-10-12, 20:06
I'm interested to know why you use so many shortcuts.

MC

bobkoure
2009-10-13, 04:34
It's about sixteen shortcuts.
I could do it in three shortcuts, if it was just one shortcut per physical device, but I've split each of those into multiple shortcuts for two reasons:
- make mirroring to external devices one-to-one (some of my external drives aren't as large as the internal plus each physical drive has a couple of "new rips" folders, matching categories below - the new rips get copied nightly to a single, attached external drive, things get consolidated and re copied every couple of months
- easier access from the squeezebox web ui "home / music folder"

The notion in the first is that, if an internal drive fails, I can just mount the matching external drives, change where the shortcuts point, and I'm up and running. And I've got a mess of 500G drives. three'll backup a 1.5TB drive - not buying a second 1.5T leaves me an extra hundred bucks to spend on music :-)

The notion in the second is that, well, it can be overwhelming trying to get to a particular album if a folder has more than 1K or so albums in it. Or at least this was true in the 6.x server - haven't tried more than two levels of folder hierarchy (i.e. shortcut->folder->album folders) in 7.

That make any sense? You're welcome to tell me I'm totally whacked - it'll just confirm my suspicions :-)

Oh - I wouldn't manage data on a business server this way, that would be whacked. There, for every 1G in internal storage, there'd be at least three external backup drives (or maybe two plus a cloud backup)

ModelCitizen
2009-10-13, 05:41
Crikey. Have you ever thought about dumping the lot and getting a Spotify account? :-)

MC

overett1
2009-10-13, 15:59
I see that the one musicIP issue I've seen reported here with ver 7.4 is fixed in 7.41 (bug 14470 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14470) - thank you Michael!)
Thanks!

There's an issue with Apple Lossless files not being mixable being discussed at http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=57959.

Jonathan

ModelCitizen
2009-10-14, 07:04
Btw. I am using 7.4.1 beta with MusicIP and all is fine. My 30k mainly flac tracks all on 1 internal 1.5gb sata2 drive, backups to an external sata2 drive of same capacity (and offsite backup at a friends house). No shortcuts. Total scan time about 30 mins. Windows XP. All works perfectly.

If not Spotify, maybe an investment in a large drive would serve you best? In the scheme of things (esp. when compared to labour costs) they are dead cheap.

:-)

MC

bobkoure
2009-10-14, 11:06
maybe an investment in a large drive would serve you best?
I think you've misunderstood.
I've large internal drives and could just use two or three shortcuts/links. But if I do that, access via physical folder name gets unwieldy from the WebUI.
Yes, I have smaller backup drives, but why should I care about that? The data's mostly static (and the parts that aren't are isolated/managed). Yes, If I had 'em all online, it'd be an issue at 10W/drive, but I don't. They're in a box
Is there some great benefit I'd get from just having a couple of shortcuts?

Phil Leigh
2009-10-14, 11:30
I've large internal drives and could just use two or three shortcuts/links. But if I do that, access via physical folder name gets unwieldy from the WebUI.
Yes, I have smaller backup drives, but why should I care about that? The data's mostly static (and the parts that aren't are isolated/managed). Yes, If I had 'em all online, it'd be an issue at 10W/drive, but I don't. They're in a box
Is there some great benefit I'd get from just having a couple of shortcuts?

Why do you access them by physical folder?

ModelCitizen
2009-10-14, 11:53
Yup. I must have.
The main reason people use shortcuts is because their music is spread across multiple drives and SqueezeboxServer doesn't accept multiple paths to music files, so one has to create shortcuts to get it to scan music held on on multiple drives (I know this sounds stupid but I think it might be one of the prices you pay for for cross-paltform compatibility).

However, you appear to want to browse by music folder and shortcusts make it more convenient for you.

The only reason I can think that you'd want to do this is if your music isn't tagged properly. If this is correct, why don't you tag it properly? If you do SqueezeboxServer will work much better for you (and in many ways it seems!).

If there is another reason you use these shortcuts I, like Phil am interested to know the reason (although I have a suspicion it is written in one of the texts above that I've not fully digested).

MC

bobkoure
2009-10-14, 13:03
Why do you access them by physical folder?
Well, mostly I don't.
But once in a while I decide to, and having all the albums listed together is (to me) a PITA. I could "just not do that" or I could make it easier on myself.
The most common reason for me to decide to access via folder is ripping some CDs, moving them to the server, starting a scan (musicIP, then SB) - and wanting to listen before the scan was done. Less important now that scans are faster, but still...

My tags are fine (well, other than genre tags - which is a whole 'nother conversation).

And I'll ask again: what benefit do I get in reducing the number of shortcuts? If there's enough benefit to put up with the PITA above then I'll probably change. I'm unlikely to do it just because it seems odd to some folks (no disrespect intended.)

ModelCitizen
2009-10-14, 13:36
And I'll ask again: what benefit do I get in reducing the number of shortcuts?
Maybe MusicIP will work correctly? Maybe scans will not take so long? Have you tried it yet, making sure you do an entirely clean scan (not as obvious to do as it may seem as stuff seems to get left behind).

MC

bobkoure
2009-10-14, 18:46
MusicIP works fine.
I'll give it a shot to see about scan times after I've sorted my drive data rate issue (turns out the data rates on my SATA drives were ~3MB/sec). I stuck a borrowed SATA adapter in and got back to ~72MB/sec. Had to give that one back, but will have my own in a day or two. Yes, replacing the motherboard makes better sense, but I don't have the time to get a server all re-setup.
Have my drives been this slow all along? Honestly, I dunno. I suspect it's somewhat recent as, within the last month or two, my squeezebox players have developed the annoying habit of pausing for a couple of seconds when squeeze center was in the "consolidate" phase after scanning.
But, the server's based on a Via C7. Which replaced one based on a C3. So I'm not used to a speedy music server :)