PDA

View Full Version : Man, I love my XP machine with RAMDISK...

Howard Passman
2009-10-10, 16:06
I added a song to my server for the first time in a while and then did a scan for new music and changes. I forgot how fast this thing is with SC running on a RAMDISK. 23 seconds to scan 6,661 songs! Gotta love that.

Wirrunna
2009-10-10, 19:42
Alright, I'll bite.
Tell us how you did it, 'cause the last post that I recall was http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=423180&postcount=59.

Howard Passman
2009-10-11, 05:32
Alright, I'll bite.
Tell us how you did it, 'cause the last post that I recall was http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=423180&postcount=59.

I think the last post was about trying to move the cache folder. I never had success doing that. The cache folder still resides in C: and even if you start fresh and try to load SC in a second drive, it still puts the cache folder in c:. It doesn't seem to affect scan times though.

I have dedicated this little machine to just music. On the RAMDISK I've loaded iTunes, SC and Foobar2000. Since this machine never goes out on to the Internet I didn't even put virus protection on it.

Even nicer than SC, iTunes opens in about 2.5 seconds. Foobar200 you can't even time it. SC opens the default skin UI in less than 5 seconds. Just for fun I just ran a clear library and rescan and that took 4 minutes and 22 seconds to rescan 168GB of flac files.

There's 4GB of RAM on the machine and I've assigned 1.5GB to the RAMDISK. As I said SC, iTunes and Foobar200 reside on the RAMDISK and I've also put Windows page files and Temporary Internet files on there also. The temporary Internet files are from using SC and obviously they help that load a little quicker.

I guess I should say that I use a OCZ Vertex 30GB drive as my C drive. I did that first and it helped some, but the RAMDISK was the huge change.

The rest of the system is a E8500 processor (3.16GHz Core 2) and Windows XP SP2. There's a second drive for my music and an external eSATA drive to back up to.

The whole thing runs rock solid and the assorted SB's run without any problems including flawless playback on my SBC. I wouldn't dare change a thing :-)

Howard