PDA

View Full Version : Touch or Touchscreen PC?

goody
2009-10-10, 08:13
I'm having a hard time justifing the SB Touch at $300 when i could get an atom based touchscreen PC for just a bit more. The ASUS Eee Top is $500.

It seems to me that my money would be better spent on a fully functioning PC vs a dedicated sb.

What am i missing?

toby10
2009-10-10, 09:15
Decent audio outs.

Louise Straus
2009-10-11, 01:50
I have very similar questions, than Goody

IMHO, the answer is: ePC Touch or a iPhone/iTouch with iPeng.
Both would also need a SB Duet Receiver or a SB Classic to bring the music to your HiFi.

But this is my therory, as I have not tried both.
What I have is SB Duet, and I am not amused
:-(

carrera
2009-10-11, 04:09
Hi,

i have the iPhone/SB Classic solution, and i'm very happy with this. I don't see any sense in the Touch.

Regards
carrera

aubuti
2009-10-11, 19:54
Decent audio outs.
and an IR remote for controlling the music without getting out of your chair (or holding a netbook in your lap).

egd
2009-10-11, 20:32
IMHO the Touch has its place if you don't already own a SB3 or Duet, otherwise not, unless your Duet is a dud. The ability to add a USB hard drive is appealing for a portable system, except, it's not very portable as you've got to have some sort of amp/preamp/speakers combo to use it. A USB interface on the Boom or Radio would be really useful. The merits of a touchscreen player are to me questionable whereas a touchscreen remote is really useful.

iPhone
2009-10-11, 20:58
IMHO the Touch has its place if you don't already own a SB3 or Duet, otherwise not, unless your Duet is a dud. The ability to add a USB hard drive is appealing for a portable system, except, it's not very portable as you've got to have some sort of amp/preamp/speakers combo to use it. A USB interface on the Boom or Radio would be really useful. The merits of a touchscreen player are to me questionable whereas a touchscreen remote is really useful.

Besides being just another Squeezebox Player, the Touch is in a sense the SB4. It is the SB3s replacement. They are no longer making the SB3. So the Touch/SB4 is now (as soon as all the SB3s that were made are sold) the only other player besides the Transporter with a display to add to an existing stereo system.

Does one get it now? Its not just an extra player added to the line that doesn't make sense to some people, it is the SB3s replacement. And it happens to have new and modern updated features over the SB3:

It uses a color Touch screen
It will play 24/96 native
It is a "Smart" player instead of a Dumb player that HAS to have a Server for local music (excluding MP3Locker which I don't consider Local).
More powerful CPU
More Memory
It can run the server local to the Touch.
It can read files from USB or SD card
Etc, Etc, Etc ......
And it is the same price as the unit it is replacing!

None of this means that one has to go out and buy one or replace all there SB3/Duets. What it means is that one can if they want or if new to Squeezebox, start with SB Touch if adding a NMP to an existing stereo.

egd
2009-10-11, 21:47
Besides being just another Squeezebox Player, the Touch is in a sense the SB4. It is the SB3s replacement. They are no longer making the SB3. So the Touch/SB4 is now (as soon as all the SB3s that were made are sold) the only other player besides the Transporter with a display to add to an existing stereo system.

Does one get it now? Its not just an extra player added to the line that doesn't make sense to some people, it is the SB3s replacement. And it happens to have new and modern updated features over the SB3:

It uses a color Touch screen
It will play 24/96 native
It is a "Smart" player instead of a Dumb player that HAS to have a Server for local music (excluding MP3Locker which I don't consider Local).
More powerful CPU
More Memory
It can run the server local to the Touch.
It can read files from USB or SD card
Etc, Etc, Etc ......
And it is the same price as the unit it is replacing!

None of this means that one has to go out and buy one or replace all there SB3/Duets. What it means is that one can if they want or if new to Squeezebox, start with SB Touch if adding a NMP to an existing stereo.Not exactly sure what you're on about as nothing I said contradicted your elaborate explanation of what exactly a Touch is. In case this too is beyond your comprehension, let me spell it out for you: nowhere did I say don't buy one if you're looking to add an NMP, I agree it would be the logical product to select if looking to add another NMP.

iPhone
2009-10-11, 22:21
Not exactly sure what you're on about as nothing I said contradicted your elaborate explanation of what exactly a Touch is. In case this too is beyond your comprehension, let me spell it out for you: nowhere did I say don't buy one if you're looking to add an NMP, I agree it would be the logical product to select if looking to add another NMP.

Nothing beyond my comprehension, my post was for the Forum, not directed at you. If you reread my post I didn't say YOU or YOUR. I said one. I quoted your post by mistake. It wasn't directed at you or about you or your post. Sorry, I have been traveling all day and meant to go down and hit Post Reply on the left but hit Quote on the right (might even have been habit this late at night) and typed away. Got to stop posting late at night.

Just as a heads up, usually when I post back directly to a person I keep it specific and break the prior post down with multiple quote sections so as to keep what I am replying about or possibly not agreeing with just to the Quoted part.

c3p0
2009-10-11, 22:22
Hi Goody,
It would help if we knew what your setup was already. For me if you are already squeezebox user the main reason to move to the Touch is for the Native 24/96. If your not a squeezebox user then then you have to balance up the cost ie a duet reciever plus a Ipod touch or a duet reciever plus a netbook against the Touch alone.
I personally have a duet reciever (no controller) and an Ipod touch but i am considering the Touch purely for the ability to do 24/96 at less than half the price of that of the LINN Sneaky or Logitech transporter.

The touch offers lots of additional functionality that hasn't been present before and it depends wither you are going to use it or not.

IS your speaker/ amplifier good enough to resolve the benefits of 24/96?

Due you need a standalone server rather than leave your PC on?

I would love Logitech to build a no frills 24/192 version of the duet reciever, but they havent and i cant afford the transporter, so for upping the sound Quality it has to be the Touch.

goody
2009-10-13, 05:19
Yes, i currently have the duet. But to be honest, we moved 3 months ago, about the time the sirius iphone app came out, and it has been sitting there not hooked up. When it does get hooked up it will be attached to my soundbar on the living room TV

We have been using the app on an ipod touch with a docking station for some basic music needs in the kitchen (one room with the above living room). To be honest, the wife doesnt like messing with the SB. She prefers the ease of the IPOD.

I was excited about the touch, i could simply put it in the kitchen with a USB drive, some powered speakers and give the wife an easy solution. As i was thinking about this, i saw the Touchscreen Nettop, which prompted this post. It made me wonder, why not just get a touchscreen pc, I can use it with my sb, but we can use it for alot more.

I am not an audiophile, so the sound of my duet is fine and i have the duet, which also makes the remote a non issue as well.

Oh and i have tried the ipeng iphone app. It was ok, but i still prefered my duet remote.

(edit: ok this post made me get off my butt and hook up my SB)