PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Do you have a Dual-Band Airport?

Matt Wise
2009-10-09, 18:09
I'm trying to track down some info to help diagnose a syncing/streaming bug (bug 14570). I think I have just found that the Dual-Band Apple Airport in my house was the culprit -- turn its wireless off entirely completely solved my issues. On the flip-side, using ONLY the dual-band airport completely broke all of my wireless squeezeboxes!

Does anyone else out there have the Dual Band airport ... can you share your experiences with it and Squeezeboxes? (wireless)

Matt Wise
2009-10-11, 15:48
Really, nobody has one?

iPhone
2009-10-11, 21:39
Really, nobody has one?

Its an Apple product Matt, people are having trouble admitting they own one! ;=}

Matt Wise
2009-10-12, 06:58
Its an Apple product Matt, people are having trouble admitting they own one! ;=}

:P So I spent the entire weekend running my squeezeboxes on my 'old' Airport Single-Band N Gig-E router (which is buried under the stairs in my "network room" and had zero problems all weekend. Synced Touches, Radios, Booms and a Transporter all weekend long without a single glitch.

I brought my Dual-Band airport in to give to QA for testing... I am seriously interested now to see who sees sync/streaming issues and who doesn't -- and which routers they have.

iPhone
2009-10-12, 07:08
:P So I spent the entire weekend running my squeezeboxes on my 'old' Airport Single-Band N Gig-E router (which is buried under the stairs in my "network room" and had zero problems all weekend. Synced Touches, Radios, Booms and a Transporter all weekend long without a single glitch.

I brought my Dual-Band airport in to give to QA for testing... I am seriously interested now to see who sees sync/streaming issues and who doesn't -- and which routers they have.

On the dual band, are there available setting or is it all automatic?

Matt Wise
2009-10-12, 07:12
On the dual band, are there available setting or is it all automatic?

You can choose several settings for each band... it works best in Automatic mode for most people but you can definitely tune it a bit.

Sike
2009-10-12, 07:40
I had one and had problems with SBs, so I sent it back.

The device is not really that 'configurable', it's more of a plug and play device -- which is perfect for people who don't want to mess around with subnets or APs...

dBerriff
2009-10-12, 10:13
Yes I have dual-band Time Capsule and I have had no problems since installing it a few weeks ago with a Classic and a Boom.

Of course the TC can be configured. I have tried allocating the bands manually and just leaving it on automatic and both work. Automatic works best (in terms of transfer rates) in my house although it then does not make much use of the 5 GHz frequency. The system correctly identifies that 2.4 GHz is best for our study computer which has an "n" connection.

Of more concern is tendency of Time Capsules to burn out their power supplies after 18 months (the capacitors don't like the high temperatures) - but that is another story.

corbey
2009-10-12, 10:41

Or maybe it's because they want $180 for it!

Sam Lowry
2009-10-16, 23:03
I've had one for a few weeks now and haven't noticed anything unusual. My server is connected directly to it, but my two SB3s are wireless.

dsdreamer
2009-10-17, 00:06
Normally, I also use Airport Express units at each of 3 SB locations, so that would not count as a test. But if you need me to try an experiment and let the Squeezeboxen speak WiFi for themselves, I am up for it.

nicholasg
2009-10-17, 19:59
I can only get my Duet to connect to my dual-band Airport Extreme if I switch the "Wireless security" to "None". Logitech probably need to change their firmware.

Has anyone logged a bug report?

Nicholas

jbuccino
2009-10-18, 04:15
I have a 1TB Time Capsule configured to support dual band. I use WPA security and have both 802.11n and 802.11b/g including a Squeezebox and a Controller. I didn't have to do any special configuration except to open the normal ports for remote access.

- Joe

ianr
2009-10-18, 06:18
2GB TC here seems to work pretty well. I got it because I got fed up with trying to get TimeMachine to work reliably to my NAS/Server (now I have since figured that out, but the TC is working pretty well, so).

My big complaint is that my bedroom boom rebuffers pretty frequently especially at night. I think that it is related to competition for signal (lots of neighbours with wireless), but I've gone as far as to put my original single band AP into the mix (also apple) using whatever tech apple uses to extend their networks (WDS I think).

When I tried to add a third AP to the mix (win the wireless war through superior signal strength), this being an old WRT54G with Tomato, it made things worse - the boom registered LOWER signal strength.

So, long story short, things seem to work pretty well with the apple stuff. It isn't as configurable as some other options (I miss Tomato/DDWRT), but seems more stable overall and has good xfer rates. It was either apple or build my own AP with an Alix 3D1 running mm0n0wall; turns out I don't have the time or inclination to fiddle that much these days.

Sorry if this was a threadjack.