PDA

View Full Version : Wi-Fi connection details

fully
2009-10-09, 15:27
The specifications of the radio list everything from good old WEP to WPA2. So it must be possible to enter a SSID and password making use of all 255 characters available in the ASCII set, correct? See a listing here (http://www.barcoderesource.com/barcodeasciicharacters.shtml).

A radio from a different manufacturer I tested also claimed to be WEP and WPA2 compatible, yet had a very limited set of characters thus failing at the very first step of setting up a network connection.

radish
2009-10-09, 16:23
WPA uses a key made up not of the full 255 character 8-bit ASCII set but the so-called "printable ASCII" set (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII#ASCII_printable_characters) which is a subset of the original 7-bit set. As far as I know, Radio will let you enter any of those.

toby10
2009-10-10, 03:26
I'm not tech savvy enough to understand exactly what you are asking.
But I can tell you that my network is WPA2 with a 63 character key generated from one of those web sites that randomly selects a combination of numbers, letters, symbols...... and all of my SB players including Radio connect fine.

All players will ask for you to enter your SSID if your SSID is hidden.

fully
2009-10-10, 03:52
Here is an example of how the SSID would look: "QZW"`T!+ZZdQu"a$s(yH

My router and all computers on it don't complain about the special characters but if you say the character set is limited on the radio it will probably be just like the one I tested before. Too bad really.

Strange enough, the feature guide only talks about WEP keys, which in my opinion nobody should use anymore if the security of their networks is worth anything to them.

Setting up the radios could be made a lot easier if it had USB to transfer network credentials from a computer to the device for example.

Thanks for your answers.

Phil Leigh
2009-10-10, 04:25
I'm not tech savvy enough to understand exactly what you are asking.
But I can tell you that my network is WPA2 with a 63 character key generated from one of those web sites that randomly selects a combination of numbers, letters, symbols...... and all of my SB players including Radio connect fine.

All players will ask for you to enter your SSID if your SSID is hidden.

...and hiding your SSID is just pointless and makes life hard for you.

radish
2009-10-11, 14:14
Here is an example of how the SSID would look: "QZW"`T!+ZZdQu"a$s(yH

Why on EARTH would you set your SSID to that?

MelonMonkey
2009-10-11, 19:39
If you want to secure your network you should learn a bit about wireless security. Crazy SSID or non-broadcast ID do absolutely nothing to secure your network. Nothing. Any idiot with a a tool to break your encryption will also be able to find your network whether or not it has an SSID.

Also, the characters valid for your passphrase has nothing to do with the characters allowed for an SSID.

A number of products don't properly support WPA nor WPA2. The most popular product I can think of is called Windows. XP doesn't (generally) support WPA nor WPA2. Well, if you call a pass phrase of *exactly* 13 characters "support" - that's not to spec.

WPA2 with AES is the only thing you need to set up and then pick yourself a decent pass phrase. WEP can be broken faster than you can type a new pass phrase and WPA with TKIP can be figured out pretty quickly according to reports (never done that one myself).

fully
2009-10-12, 03:33
Maybe I should have said "Here is an example of how the SSID and passphrase would look". WPA2 is running with keys generated for both SSID and passphrase on my network.

Now why would it be so hard to support that kind of line, if you forget for a second how cumbersome it will be to enter it into the radio?

radish
2009-10-12, 05:05
Now why would it be so hard to support that kind of line, if you forget for a second how cumbersome it will be to enter it into the radio?

Because that's exactly the problem. WPA key is defined as a limited subset of 7-bit ASCII, so that's already covered. Any valid WPA key can be entered on the Radio. The character set for SSID is however not defined, it's actually just spec'ced as bytes, so the text representation is up to the implementation. Adding the entire 8-bit ASCII set to the text entry control would slow down everyone else's entry speed significantly just to cater to an edge case.

I'll ask again - why would you want to set your SSID to something that looks like a CRC error? It doesn't provide any additional security so I just don't see the point. Having said that, it would probably work if you stopped hiding the SSID as well....which is another pointless non security-enhancing measure that people seem to think is a good idea.

radish
2009-10-12, 05:08
XP doesn't (generally) support WPA nor WPA2.
Huh? I have a bunch of XP boxes that would like to disagree with you. I'm using WPA2/AES with a 16-char key.

vw195
2009-10-12, 06:19
Huh? I have a bunch of XP boxes that would like to disagree with you. I'm using WPA2/AES with a 16-char key.

I don't understand this comment either.

toby10
2009-10-12, 06:57
I don't understand this comment either.

Radish is responding to a statement that WinXP does not handle WPA or WPA2 encryption well.
I, like radish, have not had a problem using three XP machines utilizing and accessing my WPA2+AES network.
Mine is WPA2+AES with a randomly generated 63 character pass phrase.

vw195
2009-10-12, 08:20
I was a little unclear but I was agreeing with Radish as I have WPA2-AES using XP as well.