PDA

View Full Version : Red Radio - appearance and availability

testmatch
2009-10-09, 13:18
Hi,

Can anyone with a red radio comment on how it compares to the Logitech black products (e.g. Boom) when it comes to showing the dust and fingerprints? If the red one appears in the Logitech UK store this month I think I want to get that as I suspect it should look neater and more cheerful. The black of the Boom does seem look grubby easily (I sound like my mother here!). I can only find one picture of the red before the US site bounces me out to select a retailer.

Or is the red one intended to be a US-only product?

Also, when will the battery be available please? I really want to keep the radio in the bathroom, so the battery operation (given the building regulations in the UK) is crucial.

Thanks,

John

Ynot
2009-10-10, 06:50
I just got the red one yesterday but the only other Logitech product I have is the Harmony One remote. Imho, the red radio seems to hide fingerprints better than the black remote. It does seem more 'cheerful'.

The website says the remote and battery pack will go on sale next month and retail for $40, I think. I saw a foto of the package and it looks like you have to buy both.

testmatch
2009-10-11, 03:51
The website says the remote and battery pack will go on sale next month and retail for $40, I think. I saw a foto of the package and it looks like you have to buy both.

Thanks for your help. It's good to know the red exists - it seems to be the one I want! I hope there's some information about this on the UK site soon. I fear a $40 battery will translate to 40 though - as it does for most of the accessories available over here. The fact that the UK site mentions bathroom operation encourages me slightly. However the lack of anything about the battery or red colour, and the mentions of Rhapsody and Pandora (which we can't use) and a "color" display, make me fear that the site hasn't been properly localised and is just a slightly modified copy and paste from the US site.

Despite registering my interest as soon as the Radio and Touch appeared on the site, I've had no information apart from a confirmation email. Hopefully things will improve after tomorrow when they expect to get their new email system working!

Regards,

John

Teus de Jong
2009-10-11, 05:03
FYI: the red one is available at www.wifimedia.eu. Click on the English flag to see pages in English (well sort of...).

Price is about the same as on the Logitech store. I bought my transporter there, it's a reliable shop. (I've no further connections with them.)

Teus

testmatch
2009-10-11, 05:46
FYI: the red one is available at www.wifimedia.eu. Click on the English flag to see pages in English (well sort of...).

Wonderful - many thanks. The mix of English and Dutch is fabulous. There must be a word for the Dutch/English equivalent of Franglais or Spanglish... :o)

It's amazing they are selling the red and also mention a Euro price for the battery while the Logitech sites in Europe have no information whatsoever about these products. I'll hang on a while and see if the red appears in the UK, but have bookmarked their delightfully entertaining page. :o)

Regards,

John

Teus de Jong
2009-10-11, 06:22
Wonderful - many thanks. The mix of English and Dutch is fabulous. There must be a word for the Dutch/English equivalent of Franglais or Spanglish... :o)

It's amazing they are selling the red and also mention a Euro price for the battery while the Logitech sites in Europe have no information whatsoever about these products. I'll hang on a while and see if the red appears in the UK, but have bookmarked their delightfully entertaining page. :o)

Regards,

John

Well, over here people like Engdutch (eng meaning scary in Dutch). And the years of rivalry between the Dutch and English have given your language enough new slang words I thought :)

BTW, their service is good. My transporter remote was stolen and they sent me a new one for free (at the time the remotes weren't even mentioned on the Logitech site).

Teus

ghan
2009-10-11, 10:08
I've got the red radio at home for three days now, i think it looks great and i'm sure it wouldn't show fingerprints as much as a black one. It looks nicely retro i think, it's a really deep red.
The shop where i bought it (wifimedia.eu) lists the red one as a 'limited edition', i don't know if it really means it will soon run out.

Absolutely amazed at the sound it produces, btw...

mparry
2009-10-12, 09:32
The Red units are going to be limited in quantity. we will not be manufacturing as many red units as black so they wont be available everywhere and they will be more difficult to get a hold of.

funkstar
2009-10-12, 11:22
The Red units are going to be limited in quantity. we will not be manufacturing as many red units as black so they wont be available everywhere and they will be more difficult to get a hold of.
Does this mean they will be a permanent item, just lower volume production, or are they only available for a limited time?

testmatch
2009-10-12, 11:30
Does this mean they will be a permanent item, just lower volume production, or are they only available for a limited time?

and will they be available officially from Logitech outside of North America? Or will those of us in Europe have to rely on dealers such as the one in The Netherlands obtaining them for sale here?

Thanks,

John

usch
2009-10-14, 13:44

I must admit that I have never been particularly good at understanding management decisions, but I really wonder what the reasoning is to make a product deliberately hard to get when people want to buy it.

If this was a collectors' item maybe they would be able to realize a higher price for a limited edition. But if Logitech Germany doesn't come up with a red one I will just buy it from said Dutch store, or forget about the Radio altogether and get a used Boom on eBay. In either case they sell one unit less, so where's the point?

kdf
2009-10-14, 13:55
>
> mparry;471155 Wrote:
>> The Red units are going to be limited in quantity. we will not be
>> manufacturing as many red units as black so they wont be available
>> everywhere and they will be more difficult to get a hold of.

one recent study poses a theory:
http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Sold+items+help+retailers+study+finds/2049729/story.html

-k

Peter314
2009-10-18, 04:58

Price is about the same as on the Logitech store. I bought my transporter there, it's a reliable shop. (I've no further connections with them.)

Teus

Thanks for the recommendation. I have just placed an order for the red one.

In light of the rumour that the red one has better sound quality, I expect they will sell out quickly! ;)

ccrome2
2009-10-18, 11:12
In light of the rumour that the red one has better sound quality, I expect they will sell out quickly! ;)

I don't know where that rumor came from, but unless red dye makes a big acoustical difference, there is no difference between red and black :-)

Keymaster
2009-10-18, 11:53
I don't know where that rumor came from, but unless red dye makes a big acoustical difference, there is no difference between red and black :-)

Just when I though I'd heard (no pun intended...o.k...I lie...very much intended...) everything...

Maybe the red dye makes for a more rigid housing which would translate to less loss due to housing flex/low end absorption?

...or I should go make a good sandwich and see what's on MediaFly... :b

toby10
2009-10-18, 13:20

I hope you are using red mustard.....it is so much better than yellow!

Peter314
2009-10-18, 16:01

I have said too much. Suffice to say it definitely did NOT come from a Logitech employee. :)

ccrome2
2009-10-18, 22:00
Just when I though I'd heard (no pun intended...o.k...I lie...very much intended...) everything...

Maybe the red dye makes for a more rigid housing which would translate to less loss due to housing flex/low end absorption?

Well. Nothing's impossible. I've heard of stranger things happening. We actually haven't thought to test the rigidity of red vs. black :-) I'd bet $0.25 it doesn't make any measurable difference. But since I'd be the one doing the measuring, I'll make sure I win.

pippin
2009-10-19, 00:13
Well. Nothing's impossible. I've heard of stranger things happening. We actually haven't thought to test the rigidity of red vs. black :-) I'd bet $0.25 it doesn't make any measurable difference. But since I'd be the one doing the measuring, I'll make sure I win.

I don't know about your housing.
But I know they used to make colored tires (not the ones with the white sides, that's on the outside, the rubber itself was colored) and they posed to be less durable.
But that's kind of a special case that had to do with the soot they use to usually make them which seems to be a particularly good filler (and doesn't go well with colors).

I also used to own two pairs of otherwise similar running shoes and I swear the black ones were softer...

Peter314
2009-10-21, 15:36
Red Radio arrived today and is now singing its little heart out. It sounds great for its size and is perfect for its intended use as a bedside radio/alarm.

After reading various cautionary tales about bugs with SBS 7.4 I was a bit nervous about installing 7.4.1. But that went very smoothly and all is well with the radio and existing SB Classics.

Kudos to Logitech!

snarlydwarf
2009-10-21, 15:49
Red Radio arrived today and is now singing its little heart out. It sounds great for its size and is perfect for its intended use as a bedside radio/alarm.

It also works well as a desktop radio at work.

A Boom would be a bit too obvious.

Did I mention I love my Red Radio?

cricket
2009-10-21, 21:32
I received a red radio today and it's working beautifully. Cheers Logitech

mshive
2009-10-24, 19:12
I received the red Radio last week from Amazon.com in the US. It was backordered a few weeks whereas the black Radio shipped immediately. So I now have one of each. The red is definitely less likely to show the dirt. But it definitely is a bright red! Certainly cheerful but my wife does not like it in the bedroom. We now have black in the bedroom and red in the office. Good luck finding one. Enjoy!
-m@

kableguy
2009-10-29, 09:34

Teus

Got my red radio sent to Denmark in 3 work days.

testmatch
2009-11-02, 02:55
Hi,

If the red one appears in the Logitech UK store this month I think I want to get that as I suspect it should look neater and more cheerful.

Well it hasn't appeared on the Logitech UK store, and ordering the battery still produces the error others have reported. At the end of last week I decided to order a black radio with the 20% discount code that expired on Saturday. It's on the way to me from Utrecht. Having spent the weekend in Brussels, it has now arrived in England and should be with me tomorrow. Thanks for all the comments - I'd have liked the red one, but not enough to forgo the 30 discount!

John

tass
2009-11-04, 04:57
I received my red radio today, and I absolutely love it.
I was a little skeptical about how nice the sound could be, but it sounds great.

My only issue is that I live in Australia and had to get a friend to bring it back from the US for me. The US store should really have Australia as a shipping destination - this thing is too good.

Peter314
2009-11-08, 04:36
Quantum Electronics are presently offering the red Radio in the UK:

http://www.quantumelectronics.co.uk/acatalog/squeezebox_radio.html