PDA

View Full Version : Saving Playlists

Quoling
2009-10-08, 12:42
HOW? - I have tried all the hints in the manual, I have gone through every menu option and no matter what I do I cannot find ANY option to save playlists which apparently I need to do to be able to wake up to a radio station...personally the idea of waking up to a barn fire is not my idea of fun....

Has anyone managed to do this yet? - one of the main reasons for me shelling out 159 quid was so I could listen to different radio stations - which although I can I cannot wake up to them

dsf
2009-10-08, 12:50
When I go to set an alarm's sound, one of the choices I get is "the current playlist". Does that help?

Siduhe
2009-10-08, 13:04
Assuming you are talking about saving playlists in Squeezecenter - some basic instructions for saving playlists from the web interface are below:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=412063&highlight=playlist#post412063

However, you don't need to use playlists for the alarm. Save a radio url as a favourite and you can also use this.

To set a favourite start playing the station, click right on a Classic or use + on the radio I think) and select Add to Favourites.

HTH

Quoling
2009-10-08, 13:04
When I go to set an alarm's sound, one of the choices I get is "the current playlist". Does that help?

Sorry no...the point is that according to the manual you can save different playlists and then apparently set alarms to play these playlists..

I have got a "now playing list" - but as it says whatever is playing "overrights" the now playing list - so if I fell asleep listening to say one station but wanted to wake up to another - I need to save a playlist but I can't...

Create a Now Playing List

When you select a song, Internet radio station or app and press Play, it becomes your current Now Playing list, and the

Now Playing option appears in your home menu.

Note: When you play a song that is part of an album, the entire album becomes your Now Playing list.

If you already have a Now Playing list, when you select and Play a new item, your Now Playing list is replaced by the
new item.
To select an item, play it, and replace your existing Now Playing list:

1. Navigate to and highlight a selection.
2. Press Play.
You can also add songs to Now Playing without deleting your existing Now Playing list.

To add a selection to the end of your Now Playing list, or to add a selection to play next in your Now Playing list:

1. Navigate to and highlight a selection.
2. Instead of pressing Play, tap the More (+) button, or press and hold the push-button knob.
3. A pop-up context menu will give you the option to play the tune immediately, add it to the end of your Now Playing
list, or play it next. Select Add to end or Play next.

Access your Now Playing List

When you go to Now Playing, you will see the item that is currently playing or was most recently played, followed by a list
of all items in your Now Playing list.

To get to Now Playing:

 Select Now Playing from the home menu.
or
 If you are not at the home menu, tap the Home button twice to get to Now Playing.

To see your complete Now Playing list:

1. From the home menu, select Now Playing. You will see currently playing, or most recently played item.
2. Select that item to move to the next screen and see all items in your Now Playing list.

Create a Playlist

To create a Playlist to access and retrieve later from your personal music collection:

1. Navigate to each item you want in your list.
2. Instead of pressing Play, tap the More (+) button, or press and hold the push-button knob.
3. A pop-up context menu will give you the option to Add the tune to your Playlist.
4. Repeat the above steps until you have selected all of the items you want in your Playlist.
5. From the home menu at your Squeezebox, select Now Playing.
Squeezebox Radio Feature Guide 9/18/2009
6. You will see the item that is currently playing or was most recently played. Click the push-button knob again to
see all of the items in your Now Playing list.
7. Select Save Playlist.
Save and Retrieve Playlists
To create multiple retrievable playlists, create a series of Now Playing lists and save them.

After you create a Now Playing list, you can save it, name it, and retrieve it later from the My Music > Playlists menu
item.

This feature can be particularly useful for entertaining Ė Saving your playlist before a party allows you to restore your
music if one of your guests clears it or adds music you donít like.

To save your Now Playing list:

1. From the home menu, select Now Playing.
2. Select the most recently played item to see your entire Now Playing list.
3. At the bottom of the list select the option to Save Playlist.
4. Enter a name for your playlist.

To retrieve a playlist:

 From the home menu, go to My Music > Playlists

Note: Playlists are saved under My Music whether they are made up of songs from your personal music library, Internet
radio stations, apps or any combination thereof.

Note: At My Music > Playlists, you will also have access to Playlists from iTunes and other apps.

Siduhe
2009-10-08, 13:09

This is the key bit for you. Let me try and explain it. Start the station playing that you want to save as a playlist. Then click the center knob until you see the station listed in small writing and underneath it an option that says "Save Playlist" and select.

If you don't see this - there is a good chance you haven't set up a directory for Squeezecenter to save your playlists too, or Squeezecenter doesn't have write access to that directory. Look at the Web Interface Settings page.

Quoling
2009-10-08, 13:15
There is no option for saving the playlist - hence the question - all that happens is that the station gets saved to the playlist.

Sorry but what do you mean by squeezecenter? - the interface from mysqueezebox.com?

According to the manual this should be done from the radio?

Siduhe
2009-10-08, 13:25
There is no option for saving the playlist - hence the question - all that happens is that the station gets saved to the playlist.

Sorry but what do you mean by squeezecenter? - the interface from mysqueezebox.com?

Squeezecenter is the software that you install on your home server to run hardware like the radio.

Mysqueezebox.com is a limited version of Squeezecenter which is run by Slim Devices, so all you need is an internet connection to run the Radio.

Which are you connected to? Will make a difference to how you set the alarm. However both can be controlled and managed either from the radio or via a web interface.

eap
2009-10-08, 13:29

I had the same problem with the Duet (I was saving playlists -- or thought I was -- but could not find them anywhere). Then I went to the squeeze center software on my computer (squeeze server), and indicated where on my hard drive the playlists should be saved.

After that, I was able to save and access playlists. I think you are missing the step of setting up a playlist directory on your computer and telling the software (squeeze server) where it is. Then you probably can do what you want via the radio.

Although I really think you want to save the radio station's URL as a favorite. Then set the alarm to play that specific station (which isn't a play list, but just a link to that station).

Quoling
2009-10-08, 13:46
Now this is weird - my radio is working fine - mysqueezebox.com lets me control it via the remote control - BUT when I now run the server on my PC it says it cannot find my "player" - is that the radio?

Siduhe
2009-10-08, 13:56
Now this is weird - my radio is working fine - mysqueezebox.com lets me control it via the remote control - BUT when I now run the server on my PC it says it cannot find my "player" - is that the radio?

If your Radio is connected to mysqueezebox.com, you won't see it connected to the server on your PC. A piece of hardware can only be connected to one server at any one time.

Quoling
2009-10-08, 13:59
If your Radio is connected to mysqueezebox.com, you won't see it connected to the server on your PC. A piece of hardware can only be connected to one server at any one time.

So I need it to be connected to my Pc to create favourites and playlists? - despite the whole point of the radio being that no PC is required? - seems a bit strange that to use the radios main features requires a PC when the whole advert of the product is that only a wi-fi connection is needed...or am I missing something else?

EDIT: ok I got it now - I edited the favourits in mysqueezebox and thankfully it all seems to be working now - although I think the manual has a lot to be desired and is more than confusing! (I work in software so I am quite computer literate)....this does not work via the radio as it implies and should.

Siduhe
2009-10-08, 14:14
Glad you got it sorted. As you've discovered, favourites/playlists are managed separately across Squeezecenter and MySqueezebox.com.

This is likely to change in future I would guess, as many new (and existing) users find the distinction a bit confusing at best and meaningless at worst. Lots of historic reasons for it which I won't bore you with. Any other problems, let us know.

Quoling
2009-10-08, 14:43
Glad you got it sorted. As you've discovered, favourites/playlists are managed separately across Squeezecenter and MySqueezebox.com.

This is likely to change in future I would guess, as many new (and existing) users find the distinction a bit confusing at best and meaningless at worst. Lots of historic reasons for it which I won't bore you with. Any other problems, let us know.

That's what annoys me really - if logitech want customers to take these things seriously then they really need to look at the documentation - a 171 page quick start guide that says (in several languages) - Set it up...is not really useful..WHEN the "manual" is found - the instructions are totally wrong (as I copied and pasted)- having instructions stating clearly that the favourites/playlists should be done via the radio..when in fact it is not..is just a total amateur way of providing detils...

I am happy with the radio but I will certainly think twice before buying anything from logitech again if this is the standard they put out.

dsf
2009-10-08, 14:45
I had no trouble adding stations to my favourites, and then using those favourites as alarm sounds, using only the radio, no server or mysqueezebox.com involved...:

1. Go to 'Internet Radio'
2. Pick a station I'd never listened to before (one from staff picks > best of internet radio, FWIW)
3. Click +
4. Scroll down and choose 'add to favourites'
5. Confirm addition
6. Click alarm button
7. Choose alarm I'd already set up
8. Choose 'alarm sound'
9. Choose 'favourites'
10. The newly favourited station was available to choose

Siduhe
2009-10-08, 14:52
Having instructions stating clearly that the favourites/playlists should be done via the radio..when in fact it is not..is just a total amateur way of providing detils...

I am happy with the radio but I will certainly think twice before buying anything from logitech again if this is the standard they put out.

The instructions you posted are for when the Radio is connected to a local Squeezecenter (and are correct for that eventuality). However, the process is different when you are connected to MYSB.com (as I believe you were).

However, if this wasn't clear to you, there's obviously an issue and I agree the docs could be improved.

To be honest, every bit of help I've ever needed I've got from these forums - it's a really active and friendly community (IMHO obv).

MeSue
2009-10-08, 15:39

I think this part of the instructions is wrong if you have a now playing list with only one item in it, like a radio station in the case of the OP. When you only have one item in now playing, there is no way to get to the now playing "list," so you can't save it as a playlist. IOW, pressing the knob from now playing when only one item is in the playlist opens a context menu instead of pushing into the NP list where the save option resides.