PDA

View Full Version : 7.4 shows wrong BITRATE

Eric Seaberg
2009-10-07, 17:23
The majority of my files are ripped ALAC. I was thrilled to see 7.4 being able to play these without transcoding, HOWEVER, something is still going on. If I disable ALL file types under Apple Lossless in server 7.4 EXCEPT for native, nothing will play. I must either enable FLAC (which is obviously converting) or PCM.

Either way, it shows the bitrate of these files at or around 150kbps, converted to 750kbps while transcoding to FLAC. Previous versions of SqueezeCenter showed the files bitrate at its TRUE value, most of the time hovering between 600kbps and 1mbps.

What exactly is happening here? I open up Arron Copland's "Billy the Kid" and am told its bitrate is 58k VBR yet converted to 1411.2 ABR.

Strange....

SteveEast
2009-10-07, 19:52
I believe it's only the Radio and Touch that can play these additional formats (ALAC AAC, WMA Lossless, ?) natively. The older players still have to have these formats transcoded by the server since they don't have space in the firmware for additional decoders.

Dunno about the bit rates...that may be a bug.

Steve.

Eric Seaberg
2009-10-08, 08:38
You're probably right, hadn't thought about that. The bitrate is strange, but doesn't bug me anymore than knowing it's wrong!

Thanks for the reply....

MrSinatra
2009-10-12, 19:53
did u file a bug?

rblnr
2009-10-19, 09:53
Yeah, I'm guessing the Native setting for ALAC in 7.4 refers to the upcoming Touch and whatever else may be able to handle ALAC natively too.

Same thing though on the VBR -- shows, for example that a 1021kbps VBR track is being converted to 705.6 ABR. What's that about?

JJZolx
2009-10-19, 11:45
Yeah, I'm guessing the Native setting for ALAC in 7.4 refers to the upcoming Touch and whatever else may be able to handle ALAC natively too.

Same thing though on the VBR -- shows, for example that a 1021kbps VBR track is being converted to 705.6 ABR. What's that about?

I'm not sure where the 'ABR' and 'VBR' come from, but what you're probably seeing is the bitrate of the Apple Lossless file (1021 kbps) and the resulting FLAC file/steam at 705.6. The 705.6 number, though, is a little suspect, as it's exactly 1/2 of the uncompressed PCM streaming rate of 1411.2 kbps.

I posted recently in another thread that the bitrate (in kbps) for lossless files is computed by:

file_size_in_bytes * 8_bits_per_byte / track_time_in_seconds / 1000

The 1411.2 kbps number mentioned in the first post above is the streaming rate of PCM, so I would assume FLAC streaming was disabled at the time.