PDA

View Full Version : [ANNOUNCE] SqueezeCommander 0.9 for Android

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

flattermann
2009-10-07, 10:51
Today, I'm happy to present you the first release of SqueezeCommander!

SqueezeCommander is a new Android Remote Control app for your SqueezeBoxes.
I've tried all available SqueezeBox apps on the Android market, but I was not really happy with them.

So, I've finally decided to write my own! :-)

SqueezeCommander is now available on Android Market.

Furthermore, it is also available on SlideME.org: http://slideme.org/application/squeeze-commander

For more details and screenshots, please take a look at the announcement: http://www.squeezecommander.com

I hope you'll like it. Have a lot of fun!

Key Features:
* Automatical Server Discovery
* Support for password protected SqueezeBoxServers
* Now Playing screen with Artwork
* Fast incremental library browse
* Fast library search
* Music download to SD card
* Internet radio browse
* Multi-Player and Multi-Server support (inspired by iPeng :-) )
* MySqueezeBox.com support
* Active development

=== Automatical Server Discovery ===

When you start SqueezeCommander it searches for SqueezeBoxServers in your local network and automatically establishes a connection to the first available server.

If the auto-discovery fails, you can of course also enter a server manually.

=== Support for password protected SqueezeBoxServers ===

SqueezeCommander supports password protected SqueezeBoxServers to improve security.

=== Now Playing screen with Artwork ===

If you are connected to a Server and a Player, you will be redirected to the Now Playing screen. This screen is the main view of SqueezeCommander. It shows informations about the current song and the artwork if available.

=== Fast incremental library browse ===

SqueezeCommander is created with large music libraries in mind. It uses a fast incremental library search, that should not slow down or block the User Interface while browsing your library.

Furthermore, all library lists show a “FastScroll” area on the right to scroll very fast through long lists (instead of “flinging” the screen many, many times).

=== Fast library search ===

You can search your library by Artist, by Album, by Track and so on. For large Libraries, that would be hard work for your little mobile, therefore SqueezeCommander delegates this task to the SqueezeBoxServer for a pretty fast library search.

=== Music download to SD card ===

Never leave your home without music!

You can now select single tracks, whole albums or even whole artists and download them to your mobile’s SD card. After the download, they’ll show up in your favorite Android music player app.

=== Internet radio browse ===

You can browse through all radio stations around the world picked by the SqueezBox staff.

Of course, you can also enter a custom Radio URL.

=== Multi-Player and Multi-Server support ===

SqueezCommander supports multiple player and multiple servers.

The servers can be arranged in Sync Groups to play the same songs. You can switch a player (or a complete Sync Group) to another server or to MySqueezeBox.com.

=== MySqueezeBox.com support ===

You can switch your players to MySqueezeBox.com and control them independently from your local SqueezeBoxServer. So you don’t need to have your Server powered up 24/7 but you can still listen to your favourite Internet Radio.

=== Active development ===

This is a very active project, so if you’ve found a bug or want to make a request for enhancement, please open a ticket in my Bug Tracker.

I’m eager to squeeze existing bugs and implement new features, so please take the chance and open a ticket. :-)

http://www.flattermann.net/wp-content/gallery/squeezecommander/nowplaying.jpghttp://www.flattermann.net/wp-content/gallery/squeezecommander/albums_search.jpghttp://www.flattermann.net/wp-content/gallery/squeezecommander/playerserver_synced.jpghttp://www.flattermann.net/wp-content/gallery/squeezecommander/downloads.png

Muggy
2009-10-07, 18:22
Great work, I've been waiting for something like this for a while. I'll give it a go and report back.

Muggy
2009-10-08, 18:33
I've had a brief play around with this now, first impressions are that it is great. Does all the basics very well and is well suited to controlling multiple players. I look forward to seeing how the app develops in future - if you need a beta tester I'd be happy to help out.

flattermann
2009-10-09, 02:41
I've had a brief play around with this now, first impressions are that it is great. Does all the basics very well and is well suited to controlling multiple players. I look forward to seeing how the app develops in future - if you need a beta tester I'd be happy to help out.

Good to hear that you like it!

I would be happy to have you as a beta tester!
Please sign up at my tracker http://sqcmdr.flattermann.net/trac and send me a short mail to sqcmdr (AT) flattermann (DOT) net.

If you have any ideas for new features or you've found a bug, please open a ticket in the tracker, so that I cannot forget your request anymore. ;-)

The app seems to be pretty stable (at least, I only got a single CrashReport until now, see http://sqcmdr.flattermann.net/trac/ticket/5).
It was my biggest concern that the app may not be 100% stable on some devices, because I did not have a large beta test with different Android models.

After fixing this (rare) bug, I'll spend my time on new features.
I've already added some ideas to the tracker: http://sqcmdr.flattermann.net/trac/report/1.
Feel free to comment the tickets...

Best regards,
Christian

flattermann
2009-10-10, 08:37
I'm happy to present you SqueezeCommander 0.9.1.

It is now available in Android Market.

This is a bug fix release.

Issues fixed:
* SqCmdr may crash with OutOfMemory when loading Artwork under certain circumstances (See #5)
* Android 1.6 only: SqCmdr will crash when changing the Music Source of a player (See #10)
* SqCmdr uses the wrong cache directory on SD card (See #12)
* You may (optionally) add your email to CrashReports (See #11)

You may see details of these issues in the Bug Tracker, http://sqcmdr.flattermann.net/trac.

Have a lot of fun!

flattermann
2009-10-11, 06:57
Searching for Beta testers

I'm currently searching for beta testers with the following configuration:

* T-Mobile G1 with Android 1.5
* T-Mobile G1 with Android 1.6
* Any other device with Android 1.6

If you have such a device and are interested in beta testing, please contact me at:
sqcmdr (AT) flattermann (DOT) net

Please tell me your Phone Model and Android Version in the mail.

It would be helpful (but not essential) if you have used the Android Debugger (ADB) before.

What you should do as beta tester:
Test new SqueezeCommander features / releases and tell me any bugs that you may encounter during the test.

superkonge
2009-10-12, 09:51
Hi! I like the look of your program. The one that I use today is colourless and boring, but I live in Norway and we can't buy pay apps from android market. Can you put your program out on slideme.org too? Its like android market, but avaible for everyone and you get paid:)

flattermann
2009-10-12, 13:48
Hi! I like the look of your program. The one that I use today is colourless and boring, but I live in Norway and we can't buy pay apps from android market. Can you put your program out on slideme.org too? Its like android market, but avaible for everyone and you get paid:)

Hello, superkonge!

Ok, I'll take a look at slideme.org and see what I can do!

Until then, you can become a SqueezeCommander beta tester, if you like.

If you are interested, please drop me a line at
sqcmdr (AT) flattermann (DOT) net.

Best regards,
Christian

flattermann
2009-10-19, 10:23
I’m happy to present you SqueezeCommander 0.9.2.

It is now available in Android Market.

This new version includes several new features and many bug fixes.

It includes support for playlists, favorites and apps.
You can now play/rename/delete playlists and favorites, but not yet save/edit playlists or add new favorites.

There is a new image view mode for Apps like flickr or the Queen photo gallery.

The connection to MySqueeezeBox.com or your local SqueezeBoxServer should be more reliable now.

New features:
* #1 Add playlists support
* #2 Add favorites support
* #3 Add Apps / Music Services support
* #22 Better support for images in radio / app items
* #8 Mute sound on call
* #21 Optionally keep the screen on
* #23 Change UI of the DownloadPage

Issues fixed:
* #9 Crash: Notify ListViews of changes in Adapter
* #20 Downloads can block in background
* #24 Text input / search does not work correctly for Radios / Apps
* #28 Avoid MySqueezeBox.com problem with Apps
* #29 Connection to MySqueezeBox.com asks for user credentials if '''any''' error occurs
* #14 Cover art is not correctly updated for Internet radio
* #17 Song position slider and total time does not update

You may see details of these issues in the Bug Tracker, http://www.squeezecommander.com/trac

Have a lot of fun!

Here are some screenshots of Flickr (1+2) and Napster (3+4):
http://www.flattermann.net/wp-content/gallery/squeezecommander/flickr.jpghttp://www.flattermann.net/wp-content/gallery/squeezecommander/flickr2.jpghttp://www.flattermann.net/wp-content/gallery/squeezecommander/napster.jpghttp://www.flattermann.net/wp-content/gallery/squeezecommander/napster_context.jpg

flattermann
2009-10-22, 10:14
I'm searching for 1 or 2 beta testers who are using a "G1" as Android phone.

If you are interested, please drop me a line at: sqcmdr (AT) flattermann (DOT) net

flattermann
2009-10-23, 10:31

As requested, SqueezeCommander is now also available on SlideME.org:
http://slideme.org/application/squeeze-commander

Have fun!
Christian

flattermann
2009-11-06, 09:16
Right now, I'm searching for new beta testers with these Android devices:

- HTC Tattoo
- Motorola Milestone

If you are interested, please contact me at
sqcmdr (AT) flattermann (DOT) net.

testmatch
2009-11-14, 13:25
Hi,

Having tried the three free applications on the Android Market, I thought I'd try SqueezeCommander for 24 hours and decide if I wanted to keep it or get the purchase refunded. Within 30 minutes of playing with it I was hooked, and decided to keep it. It's a seriously impressive application and runs wonderfully on my HTC Magic with Android 1.6.

It takes a little while to get used to, but it's so fast and powerful that I felt I had to express my delight.

One thing that I'd like to see implemented is the option to have an icon in the notification area to quickly return to the application when it's running in the background. The free Squeezer has that, and is the only feature of the others that I miss so far.

With at least three free and two paid-for applications available for Android phones (and other devices), I think that means we Android & Squeezebox users have the widest choice of any operating system!

Someone should do a comparative review of the options available to us. I might have a go at that unless someone beats me to it in the next few weeks.

John

flattermann
2010-01-17, 12:34
For your information:
After having a lot on my plate in the last weeks, I've got some free time now and I'm currently working on the next SqueezeCommander release.

The next version, 0.9.3, will primarily include better support for Android 1.6/2.x.
This version will now also work on HTC Tattoo.

Furthermore, I'd like to improve the support of the new Google Nexus One device.
If you own such a device, please drop me a line at
sqcmdr (AT) flattermann (DOT) net
so that I can send you a beta version of SqueezeCommander.

Stay tuned - and have a nice day!
Christian

flattermann
2010-01-17, 12:39
One thing that I'd like to see implemented is the option to have an icon in the notification area to quickly return to the application when it's running in the background. The free Squeezer has that, and is the only feature of the others that I miss so far.

The problem with the notification area is that this breaks a bit the Android specs, because you need a special QUIT button to make this work. (Otherwise, the app would always stay in the notification area)
But a QUIT button is not recommended in Android. You normally just "leave" the program (e.g. by pressing the HOME button) and it stays in the background until the memory is needed for another app.

But what about pressing the HOME key for a long time? :-)
This Android shortcut shows you a list of your recently used apps!
(I think this feature is very handy, but most people do not know it...)

flattermann
2010-01-21, 13:25
I'm happy to present you the brand-new release of SqueezeCommander.

This release fixes some known problems / crashes and also includes some nice new features.

It's the first SqueezeCommander release that supports the new low resolution Android phones like the HTC Tattoo. Also, the support for high resolution phones (e.g. the Google Nexus One) is improved.

Starting with this release, you can use MyApps and the AppGallery with SqueezeCommander!
This allows the use of many more Apps than before, like e.g. Shoutcast, RadioIO, radio.de...

Besides the already implemented Lower-Volume-On-Calls feature, you can now also configure SqueezeCommander to pause the playback on incoming calls. :)

Have a lot of fun!

And remember:
If you find any bugs or want to request a new feature, please do this in the Tracker at:
http://www.squeezecommander.com/trac

http://www.flattermann.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/mainmenu_apps.pnghttp://www.flattermann.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/appgallery.png

flattermann
2010-01-25, 03:37
Iíve just uploaded SqueezeCommander 0.9.3.1 to the Android Market and to SlideME.org.

Version 0.9.3.1 is mostly a maintenance release that fixes some bugs found in version 0.9.3.

The download window will now show more infos about the current download (speed/ETA). Furthermore, you now have the option to configure the download path and filename format on your SD card for Music downloads from your server.

If you like Squeeze Commander, please give me a good rating.

If you find any bug/problem, please report it in the SqueezeCommander Tracker (http://www.squeezecommander.com/trac) so that I can fix it ASAP.

local.bin
2010-01-26, 08:40
Hi there

Tried your app some time ago and had a few issues, bugs and overlapping graphics on screens etc.

Overall a good app, so I have purchased again, this time for good, as you seem to be actively developing :)

Thanks for your hard work and here's to hoping for some nice updates in the future.

Would be great to get the app appearing as a device within the squeezebox device selection!

All the best.

hunta
2010-01-28, 04:16
I've just bought a Nexus One, my first Android device, and also own an iPod Touch with iPeng, so I was pleased to come across this. Great that there's an application which allows SC control on my phone, rather than having to sit with two near-identical devices within reach!

Christian, I'm happy to help with any N1 testing - have sent you an email.

The one biggest thing I notice having come from iPeng isn't necessarily missing functionality (ability to download from within the player is v cool for instance) so much as look and feel. Lists especially are big and chunky. Squeeze Control for instance looks better to my eye, and iPeng's new drag & drop for syncronizing players looks nicer and is more intuitive than the old way.

For all that, definitely the leading Android product at present and I was happy to shell out a few euros for it.

hunta
2010-01-28, 04:23
Oh, and I'm surprised this thread has got this far without anyone mentioning SqueezeCommander as a player :-)

flattermann
2010-01-28, 05:27
Christian, I'm happy to help with any N1 testing - have sent you an email.

You've got mail. :)

bobkoure
2010-01-28, 06:11
I wonder how this'll work on the N800 I've got gathering dust(?)
Yes, I realize I'd have to run Android (not a big deal as you really have to setup an alternate boot to get Maemo to be useful anyway).
Anyone here doing this? Did it work? Just looking to not spend all my free hours this weekend getting this setup to discover that there's a major "gotcha".
Thanks!

hunta
2010-01-28, 06:37
Just looking to not spend all my free hours this weekend getting this setup

Isn't that what tinkering's all about? :-)

flattermann
2010-01-28, 06:42
I wonder how this'll work on the N800 I've got gathering dust(?)
Yes, I realize I'd have to run Android (not a big deal as you really have to setup an alternate boot to get Maemo to be useful anyway).
Anyone here doing this? Did it work? Just looking to not spend all my free hours this weekend getting this setup to discover that there's a major "gotcha".
Thanks!

Well, if you get Android (1.5+) running on the N800, SqueezeCommander should work without problems.

BTW: Until after your message, I didn't even know that the N800 can run Android. :)

morsejeff
2010-01-28, 07:56
Flattermann,

Overall I really like the SqueezeCommander app. It has allowed me to either retire or sell my iPod Touch and just use my HTC Eris phone.

One thing I would like to see though is "Random Mix." I know that I can add Random Mix to my Favorites and use it that way, but it would be nice to have the same options as I do with the SB controller.

Thanks for all of your hard work!

mrMuppet
2010-01-28, 11:37
Thanks for this nice App! But please help me: i can't find the download function. It's not there where you tell in the manual that it is.
I'm using SSOTS 4.4 on a Qnap TS 219 with 7.5.029920 ... but even the older 7.4 version didn't give me this function.

flattermann
2010-01-28, 13:50
Thanks for this nice App! But please help me: i can't find the download function. It's not there where you tell in the manual that it is.
I'm using SSOTS 4.4 on a Qnap TS 219 with 7.5.029920 ... but even the older 7.4 version didn't give me this function.

How did you try it?

What happens if you long-click on an album or a track?

That should open a context menu with play/add/download.

bobkoure
2010-01-28, 20:15
Isn't that what tinkering's all about? :-)Well, yes. One of the things you do when tinkering is learn - and one of the things I've learned from tinkering in the past is to ask first and see what other folks know about whatever I'm trying to do.

mrMuppet
2010-01-29, 11:35
How did you try it?

What happens if you long-click on an album or a track?

That should open a context menu with play/add/download.

I get only "play, add, delete, rename" No download! On a G1 with Cyanogen 4.2.13

flattermann
2010-01-29, 11:51
I get only "play, add, delete, rename" No download! On a G1 with Cyanogen 4.2.13

Ok, now I understand! :-)

You tried the long click on a favorite.

Please try it on the album/artist/track browse.
I.e. open the main menu, select e.g. "albums" and try the long click there (on an album or a track)...

mrMuppet
2010-01-29, 12:09
Ok, now I understand! :-)

You tried the long click on a favorite.

Please try it on the album/artist/track browse.
I.e. open the main menu, select e.g. "albums" and try the long click there (on an album or a track)...

Ok... thanks... this works.... i just tried it with songs in the active playlist or in the favorites. Thought it would be handled the same way.
When i choose to download a song in the album browser e.g. it works!

flattermann
2010-01-29, 17:08
Ok... thanks... this works.... i just tried it with songs in the active playlist or in the favorites. Thought it would be handled the same way.
When i choose to download a song in the album browser e.g. it works!

It's not possible in the favorites, because the servers does not give us the necessary infos. :-(

But I've just implemented the download feature for the current playlist. With the next version, 0.9.3.4, you will have an additional context menu entry ("download") for the songs in the current playlist... :-)

mrMuppet
2010-01-30, 02:56
It's not possible in the favorites, because the servers does not give us the necessary infos. :-(

But I've just implemented the download feature for the current playlist. With the next version, 0.9.3.4, you will have an additional context menu entry ("download") for the songs in the current playlist... :-)

Thats nice! Thank you!

flattermann
2010-01-30, 06:02
FYI: I've just uploaded SqueezeCommander 0.9.3.4 to the Android Market & to slideme.org.

Downloading items from the current playlist should work now. :)

socistep
2010-02-06, 14:35
Hi There

I'm looking at the google nexus one as my next phone, just waiting for it to become available in the uk.

I currently have an iphone which is great but I'm sick of having to use iTunes to transfer music to the phone, I'm a linux user and have to keep a dual boot of Windows running for that purpose only.

So I did a search on the forums and was pleased to see this app, I'm a big fan of iPeng on the iPhone so good to see there is an app available on android

ian

BlueScreenJunky
2010-02-07, 04:52
+1
I might switch to android in a few weeks/months when the nexus one is released here in France, and if I do that will probably be one of the first apps I'll buy (actually the ability to control my SBs is even one of the reasons I'm considering buying an android device)

I have a few questions though :
-Could someone please make a video of this app, to see how responsive it is ?
-How does it affect battery life ? does it need to have a wifi connection enabled at all times or does it go to "sleep mode" when you're not using it ?

jay_cee_in_da_house
2010-02-07, 16:54
Its perfectly usable on my "ancient" G1, so I wouldn't worry about responsiveness on the NexusOne.

flattermann
2010-02-09, 04:33
Hi There

I'm looking at the google nexus one as my next phone, just waiting for it to become available in the uk.

[...]

So I did a search on the forums and was pleased to see this app, I'm a big fan of iPeng on the iPhone so good to see there is an app available on android

FYI: The next version will include better support for high resolution screens (like Nexus One, Motorola Milestone/Droid...). The browse lists will look more sleek and less chunky. This also makes it possible to show more information (=more list entries) on the screen.

See also:
http://www.squeezecommander.com/trac/ticket/75

flattermann
2010-02-09, 04:48
+1
I might switch to android in a few weeks/months when the nexus one is released here in France, and if I do that will probably be one of the first apps I'll buy (actually the ability to control my SBs is even one of the reasons I'm considering buying an android device)

I have a few questions though :
-Could someone please make a video of this app, to see how responsive it is ?
-How does it affect battery life ? does it need to have a wifi connection enabled at all times or does it go to "sleep mode" when you're not using it ?

For now, SqueezeCommander uses caching for images only. The browse lists (artist/album/... browse) are not cached on startup, yet.
I've planning to implement this feature, though:

http://www.squeezecommander.com/trac/ticket/49

Nevertheless, browsing your library in SqueezeCommander is pretty fast, because it uses an incremental data transfer. So only the needed parts are fetched from the server.

BTW: A video is a good idea. I'll try to create one after the next release (because the next release will include an improved GUI with better list layout).

By default, SqueezeCommander does not interfere with the sleep mode of your Android device. I.e. your devices falls asleep after 30 seconds or so and the screen is switched off. In this case, SqueezeCommander does not query your server anymore, until you reactivate your device and it should not affect battery life.

SqueezeCommander has an option to keep your screen on. If you activate this feature, and SqueezeCommander is the foreground app, the screen is only dimmed but not switched off. In this case, SqueezeCommander will also keep polling the server for status updates. This will significantly reduce the battery life, but some users (like me :) ) find it more convenient.

In any case, if SqueezeCommander is not the foreground app (e.g. if you press the home button), it will stop all network activity.
(Ok, the only exception are downloads: If you start a download from the server to your phone, this will continue to run in background, even if SqueezeCommander itself is not active anymore)

BlueScreenJunky
2010-03-06, 03:54
Thanx for the explanations =)
I now have a Nexus One (great little device btw), but I can't try Squeezecommander since neither Google Checkout nor SlideME will accept my credit card (Maestro) or Paypal :'(

Oh well, squeezecontrol does the job for now, and I'll have to get a visa card someday...

flattermann
2010-03-06, 04:01
Thanx for the explanations =)
I now have a Nexus One (great little device btw), but I can't try Squeezecommander since neither Google Checkout nor SlideME will accept my credit card (Maestro) or Paypal :'(

Oh well, squeezecontrol does the job for now, and I'll have to get a visa card someday...

Please drop me a line at
android (AT) flattermann (DOT) net

flattermann
2010-03-07, 14:25
SqueezeCommander 0.9.4 released

I've just released SqueezeCommander 0.9.4.

It includes many bug fixed and several improvements like Landscape mode, MusicServices for SBS 7.3, "Insert as next song" function...

Major changes:

* #5 Finally, the nasty OutOfMemory bug that caused most crashes is fixed
* #27 A new overlay is implemented
* #70 Landscape mode is now supported
* #75 Improved BrowseLists (smaller icons and font size)
* #84 MusicServices for SBS 7.3 are now supported
* #36 Added "Insert as next song" function

Most changes can be found here:

http://www.squeezecommander.com/trac/query?status=closed&group=resolution&milestone=0.9.4

Have a lot of fun!

flattermann
2010-03-18, 06:57
For your information:

SqueezeCommander 0.9.4.1 is now available on Android Market and on SlideME.

This release only contains some minor bug fixes, e.g. some problems with the cover art of some apps (Pandora, Slacker...) on the NowPlaying screen have been fixed.

Here are some recent screen shots:
http://www.flattermann.net/files/nowplaying.pnghttp://www.flattermann.net/files/albums.pnghttp://www.flattermann.net/files/mainmenu.png

http://www.flattermann.net/files/landscape1.png

Kvaks
2010-03-24, 12:19
Will it work on the new HTC Desire, which has the HTC Sense GUI and a 480x800 screen resolution? I'm thinking about buying one, but only if I can use it to control my squeezeboxes.

flattermann
2010-03-24, 14:29
Will it work on the new HTC Desire, which has the HTC Sense GUI and a 480x800 screen resolution? I'm thinking about buying one, but only if I can use it to control my squeezeboxes.
Yes, SqueezeCommander will work with the HTC Desire. It's tested with 480x800 resolution and even with the upcoming Android version ("Froyo").

Christian

TurnipMan
2010-03-28, 06:17
Hi,
I have an HTC Desire on the way and will get Squeeze Commander as soon as I can.
Question: My music library is mostly in FLAC, does the file get transcoded to mp3 on the way or as I'm expecting you just get it as is?

Is there a plug-in anywhere for SqueezeBox Server that does the transcoding for one? It would be really useful.
Tom

flattermann
2010-03-28, 11:53
I have an HTC Desire on the way and will get Squeeze Commander as soon as I can.
Question: My music library is mostly in FLAC, does the file get transcoded to mp3 on the way or as I'm expecting you just get it as is?

SqueezeCommander downloads the music file in the same format as on the SBS.

I would really like to implement an on-the-fly-transcoding, but that needs a processing on the SBS. There's already an open ticket for that issue, but unfortunately, nobody found the time to implement it yet: :-(

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8808

If you have the necessary Perl skills, you would make many people very happy by helping the Slimdevices team to implement the feature. :-)

TurnipMan
2010-03-28, 12:20
I do have a programming background but Pearl looks pretty much write only to me at present.
I would expect that a variant of the Flac2Mp3 pearl script with all the correct wrappings would do it. Beyond me at present.

Tom

rkotemp
2010-04-01, 12:36
Just installed SqueezeCommander v0.9.4.1 on a HTC Legend (android 2.1) using the android market.
Looks like all is working as it should.

But for me there is one thing not working, volume control.
Iím using the IR-Blaster plugin for Squeezebox server.
My Squeexebox classic is controlling the volume of my Amp using Infra-red with this plugin.
The plugin will keep the volume of the squeezebox at 100 (0db).
This is a setting in the plugin but needed for playing files with DTS or AC3 data. Other levels will change the data and then the DTS/AC3 decoder in my Amp will not recognize it.
Controlling the volume with the IR remote from de squeezebox, using the squeezebox controller or using the webinterface from squeezebox server work all fine. They all have Ė and + buttons and will even sent a volume up command while the volume is already on 100.
Is it possible to add those buttons (or option to switch to buttons).

What I also would like is an option to turn the background album art off. Just a black background behind al the menuís. Maybe it looks good on some devices but on this AMOLED display is prefer black (personal taste).

Rob

flattermann
2010-04-01, 12:46
Rob,

Right now, SqueezeCommander does not recognize fixed volume players, i.e. it always shows the volume slider. I've already planned to change the slider to +/- buttons in this case, but it's not implemented yet.

But you can already use the hardware volume keys on your phone to increase/decrease the volume of the current player. That will also work with fixed volume players.

About the optinal background image:

Could you please file a ticket about that in the tracker, so I cannot forget it?
http://www.squeezecommander.com/trac/

Thanks a lot!

rkotemp
2010-04-01, 13:16
Thanks for the quick replay.
Did not try the hardware buttons. Why not! Maybe because iím left handed and already did see the slider on the screen. The hardware buttons are always on the wrong side for me. But yes, they work fine.

For the background item, ticket is added.

Thanks for the nice application.

Rob

ob_kook
2010-04-03, 10:36
I tried several of the free apps for my SqueezeCenter, and many were pretty good, but this one is by far the best. (On Android anyway - never tried iPenq).

I had some issues that Christian was really fast in helping me out to solve, and I'm really happy with the app. Definitely a strong recommendation for anyone out there with an Android phone. (I'm running it on the Motorola Backflip).

I would like to see a little better integration with Pandora that would allow the thumbs up and thumbs down rating. I've not been able to find a way to do that yet. (opened a ticket on the SqueezeCommander bug tracker).

Anyway, I just wanted to provide some feedback on this app.

flattermann
2010-04-07, 02:37
I've just released SqueezeCommander 0.9.4.2 on Android Market and on SlideME!

The new version contains mostly bugfixes (e.g. an improved compatibility with the SB Touch).

Furthermore, I've added an (experimental) Wake-On-Lan (WOL) support.

pookguy88
2010-04-07, 08:10
I've just released SqueezeCommander 0.9.4.2 on Android Market and on SlideME!

The new version contains mostly bugfixes (e.g. an improved compatibility with the SB Touch).

Furthermore, I've added an (experimental) Wake-On-Lan (WOL) support.

Will Android Market see the new version and automatically update?

PS, just bought your app last night and played around with it, it is awesome, good work dude

flattermann
2010-04-07, 08:23
Will Android Market see the new version and automatically update?

PS, just bought your app last night and played around with it, it is awesome, good work dude

Thanks!

If you select "My Downloads" in the Android Market App, it should offer you the update.
Well, it may take some hours until the new version appears there because of the caching of the Market App...

RadioClash
2010-04-09, 06:27
Thanks for the continued updates. Love the app.

Mark Miksis
2010-04-09, 19:43
Hi flattermann,

I finally got around to buying this and I just wanted to say "great job". Very slick and feature complete. Well done.

Mark Miksis
2010-04-10, 07:39
Is there a way to change the sort order of players? It seems to be random with no way to change it. I'd be happy with alphabetical only, which would match what SbS does.

k3v
2010-04-12, 05:01
Ive just downloaded this to use on my new HTC desire, ill be playing with this when i get home from work tonight.

flattermann
2010-04-12, 13:57
Is there a way to change the sort order of players? It seems to be random with no way to change it. I'd be happy with alphabetical only, which would match what SbS does.

Right now, the SyncMasters (i.e. master players in a sync group) come first, each followed by the SyncSlaves of his group.

I think the order of the SyncMasters is pretty random, AFAIK I've kept the order from the server answer.

But you are right, it may be a good thing to add some sort of sorting, e.g. alphabetical.

Could you please file a ticket about that, so I cannot forget it anymore?

Thanks!

Mark Miksis
2010-04-12, 14:15
Could you please file a ticket about that, so I cannot forget it anymore?

Done. http://sqcmdr.no-ip.org:9999/ticket/109

Kvaks
2010-04-16, 03:11
I bought this last night for my new HTC Desire. Looks and works great, except for one fault: It does not seem to recognize Erland's various browse plugins, Custom Browse, Dynamic Playlists and so on. I have installed a few of those in my "My Music" menu, for quick access to its great features. SqueezeCommander only shows the default menu items (browse by Artist, Album, etc..). In fact, I cannot find the Custom Browse items at all. I'm not sure I can manage without them... Any chance you can get SqueezeCommander to work with those plugins?

pippin
2010-04-16, 08:29
flattermann is working on it, I'm sure :)

flattermann
2010-04-18, 09:15
I bought this last night for my new HTC Desire. Looks and works great, except for one fault: It does not seem to recognize Erland's various browse plugins, Custom Browse, Dynamic Playlists and so on. I have installed a few of those in my "My Music" menu, for quick access to its great features. SqueezeCommander only shows the default menu items (browse by Artist, Album, etc..). In fact, I cannot find the Custom Browse items at all. I'm not sure I can manage without them... Any chance you can get SqueezeCommander to work with those plugins?

You are right, plugins do not work yet. :-/

But as pippin said, I'm working on the SqueezePlay/Jive stuff. :-)

It will definitely be included in a future version.

emalvick
2010-04-23, 07:49
Purchased the app last night and tried to utilize it. Control of my Duet was OK, but I see no album art with the app in browsing or now-playing. The duet remote shows the art on its now playing screen but Squeeze Commander doesn't when sitting side by side with the remote. Not sure if I am missing something or not.

I have the settings to use both cache options (RAM and SD card). I've tried toggling the Crop or Not with the art, but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Otherwise, I do like the app, and I love that I can access my favorites and the search features make my need for the custom browse menus a low priority.

flattermann
2010-04-23, 13:55
Purchased the app last night and tried to utilize it. Control of my Duet was OK, but I see no album art with the app in browsing or now-playing. The duet remote shows the art on its now playing screen but Squeeze Commander doesn't when sitting side by side with the remote. Not sure if I am missing something or not.

I have the settings to use both cache options (RAM and SD card). I've tried toggling the Crop or Not with the art, but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Otherwise, I do like the app, and I love that I can access my favorites and the search features make my need for the custom browse menus a low priority.

Does this happen with a local SqueezeBox Server or MySqueezeBox.com?

If possible, please send me a log file:
http://www.squeezecommander.com/trac/wiki/Logfile

hardhead
2010-04-30, 23:47
Just purchased SqueezeCommander in day 2 of having an Android device (the HTC Incredible). It's really a beautiful controller, well done! Works nice and quick with a large library and my Squeezeboxes. With SqueezeCommander and iPeng, it's really beyond me why anyone would buy a Squeezebox Controller...

dennis55
2010-05-09, 08:16
Hi Christian,just purchased via Android Market your app for my Squeeze units here.
the mobile is HTC Hero on Android 1.5 running Modaco 3.2.rom and it is a very clever wee app............Duet Controller watch out!.

cheers

dennis

dennis55
2010-05-09, 08:16
Hi Christian,just purchased via Android Market your app for my Squeeze
units here.
the mobile is HTC Hero on Android 1.5 running Modaco 3.2.rom and it is
a very clever wee app............Duet Controller watch out!.

cheers

dennis

--
dennis55

Slim Devices/Logitech Transporter
Bonnec Audiosysteme Timpano
Linn Products Akurate C4200
Totem Acoustics Forest
SqueezeBox Radio
Duet Controller

Linn LP12/Cirkus/Ekos2/Dynavector DV17D2/Linn Linto/Linn Lingo1

http://www.last.fm
------------------------------------------------------------------------
dennis55's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=8884
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=69352

FredFredrickson
2010-05-11, 11:12
Hey- purchased recently for my Droid, very nice app, indeed.

Just thought I'd add my two cents:
Random Mix and MusicIP.

Two things I use the most. I rarely build my own playlists or listen to an individual artist.

Just a thought.

Good app, though. Good job!

FredFredrickson
2010-05-11, 11:12

Random Mix and MusicIP.

Two things I use the most. I rarely build my own playlists or listen to
an individual artist.

Just a thought.

--
FredFredrickson

Get your news and stock updates right here: 'Squeezebox Updates'
(http://sb.cnhpa.com)!
Join our 'mailing list' (http://sb.cnhpa.com/?page_id=27) to get
notified when the battery's back in stock!
FredFredrickson's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=16584

kc5f
2010-05-11, 11:55
Works beautifully on the Samsung Moment - it's the first app I always show off on my new phone! It would be nice if it recognized players that have lost MSB connection and show up as disconnected online to be able to "wake them up again", like the Duet Controller does. But it's great as it is, and I'm looking forward to whatever you add to it. Thanks so much!

kc5f
2010-05-11, 11:55
Works beautifully on the Samsung Moment - it's the first app I always
show off on my new phone! It would be nice if it recognized players
that have lost MSB connection and show up as disconnected online to be
able to "wake them up again", like the Duet Controller does. But it's
great as it is, and I'm looking forward to whatever you add to it.
Thanks so much!

--
kc5f
kc5f's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=19652

flattermann
2010-05-13, 03:36

Random Mix and MusicIP.

Two things I use the most. I rarely build my own playlists or listen to an individual artist.

Just a thought.

I'm currently working on SqueezePlay menu support. As soon as this is implemented, plugins like RandomMix or MusicIP should work.

So, sooner or later it will be implemented. :-)

flattermann
2010-05-13, 03:40
Works beautifully on the Samsung Moment - it's the first app I always
show off on my new phone! It would be nice if it recognized players
that have lost MSB connection and show up as disconnected online to be
able to "wake them up again", like the Duet Controller does.

This feature is on my TODO list. :-)

I'm implementing it as Standalone App right now (SqueezeConfig). As soon as it fully works, I'll add the functions to SqueezeCommander.

If you want to try SqueezeConfig, please drop me a line at

android AT flattermann DOT net

Here's the announcement for SqueezeConfig:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=76584

Arjenth
2010-05-18, 12:09
SqueezeCommander on my HTC Desire doesn't show artwork. Is that because I don't have files with embedded artwork (but folder.jpg's in each album folder), or should I be able to see cover art as well?

flattermann
2010-05-18, 13:58
SqueezeCommander on my HTC Desire doesn't show artwork. Is that because I don't have files with embedded artwork (but folder.jpg's in each album folder), or should I be able to see cover art as well?

I also use folder.jpg instead of embedded artwork, so that should normally work without problems. :-)

Cover art should be shown in Album/Track/New Music... Browse and on the NowPlaying screen.
It will not be shown in the Folder Browse List (the server does not send the necessary info in Folder Browse).

Do you have the Cover art in the Web interface or is it missing there as well?

emalvick
2010-05-20, 10:34
I want to mention that on my Motorola Backflip, I don't see cover art in any view when playing or browsing my collection. I do see cover art when streaming internet radio, and I see artwork without issue when I am on the web interface on my computer or using the squeezebox remote.

My files tend to have embedded artwork (usually a jpg on the order of 300 x 300) as well as a folder.jpg file in their folder.

edit... and I just saw that I sent a comment about that in the past (work got in the way of seeing the response as well)... I try to send a log file this weekend.

flattermann
2010-05-20, 15:18
I want to mention that on my Motorola Backflip, I don't see cover art in any view when playing or browsing my collection. I do see cover art when streaming internet radio, and I see artwork without issue when I am on the web interface on my computer or using the squeezebox remote.

Have you manually added your SBS to SqueezeCommander (in Additional Servers) or used the auto discovery?

If you've added it manually: Have you added it by IP address or by hostname?

Arjenth
2010-05-31, 13:47
I also use folder.jpg instead of embedded artwork, so that should normally work without problems. :-)

Cover art should be shown in Album/Track/New Music... Browse and on the NowPlaying screen.
It will not be shown in the Folder Browse List (the server does not send the necessary info in Folder Browse).

Do you have the Cover art in the Web interface or is it missing there as well?

SqueezeCommander shows the default 'arrow icon' at every place. But for albums which don't have artwork, it shows the default 'disc icon' (like in the web interface).

I have cover art in the web interface as well as in the desktop app 'moose' that I use. Besides the 'artwork' in the 'internet radio' section is working properly.

flattermann
2010-05-31, 13:56
SqueezeCommander shows the default 'arrow icon' at every place. But for albums which don't have artwork, it shows the default 'disc icon' (like in the web interface).

I have cover art in the web interface as well as in the desktop app 'moose' that I use. Besides the 'artwork' in the 'internet radio' section is working properly.

The "arrow icon" means that SqueezeCommander tries to fetch the image from the server.

Was the server auto-discovered or have you added it manually?

Which SBS version is it?

Arjenth
2010-06-01, 10:15
Was the server auto-discovered or have you added it manually?

Which SBS version is it?

I tried both 'auto discovery' and to add the server manually (by hostname and ip address)

It's SBS 7.4.2

flattermann
2010-06-02, 08:28
I tried both 'auto discovery' and to add the server manually (by hostname and ip address)

It's SBS 7.4.2

Hmmm, I expected a problem when using the hostname, but it should definitely work using the ip or the auto discovery.

Things to check:
- Is your SBS password protected?
- Does a "Clear & Rescan" of the SBS Library Database help?
- Does "Clear Cache" in SqueezeCommander settings help?

If it still does not work, please contact me by mail and I'll send you a beta version with improved logging.

Thanks!

Arjenth
2010-06-02, 13:43
Hmmm, I expected a problem when using the hostname, but it should definitely work using the ip or the auto discovery.

Things to check:
- Is your SBS password protected?
- Does a "Clear & Rescan" of the SBS Library Database help?
- Does "Clear Cache" in SqueezeCommander settings help?

If it still does not work, please contact me by mail and I'll send you a beta version with improved logging.

Thanks!

SBS is not password protected
I do an automatic clear & rescan every night. Does not help.
Clear Cache does not help either, unfortunately...

I will send you an e-mail.

flattermann
2010-06-06, 13:39
SBS is not password protected
I do an automatic clear & rescan every night. Does not help.
Clear Cache does not help either, unfortunately...

I will send you an e-mail.

Thanks!

Let's see if we find the problem... :-)

flattermann
2010-06-17, 03:16
One thing that I'd like to see implemented is the option to have an icon in the notification area to quickly return to the application when it's running in the background.

For your information:
This is now implemented in the newest Beta version and will be included in 0.9.4.3.

See also:
http://www.squeezecommander.com/trac/ticket/133

Mark Miksis
2010-06-21, 21:56
Hi flatterman,

Please take a quick look at Ticket #109. I filed it a few months ago, but I suspect you're not seeing it because I filed it with an empty target. Thanks.

flattermann
2010-06-21, 23:51
Hi flatterman,

Please take a quick look at Ticket #109. I filed it a few months ago, but I suspect you're not seeing it because I filed it with an empty target. Thanks.

Empty target milestones are fine (and recommended!).

There just were other tickets with a higher priority for me.
But as it should be relatively easy to implement, I'll take a look now.

SoulSurvivor
2010-06-27, 08:47
Would the SqueezeCommander run on this widescreen Android? If so, mind boggles....

http://www.expansys.com/a.aspx?i=199911

flattermann
2010-06-27, 09:49
Would the SqueezeCommander run on this widescreen Android? If so, mind boggles....

Android 2.1, WVGA 800x480, 7" display...
Yes, SqueezeCommander should run on this device!

Hopefully it's better than the Archos 7", because I had some beta testers with an Archos 7" and they gave up on this device, because the device itself was very unstable. :-(
(Lags, Forced Close, Loss of Wifi...)

tank121
2010-07-01, 23:53
Is it possible to remove multiple tracks in one action from the current playlist like in Ipeng ?

Thanks

flattermann
2010-07-02, 06:58
Is it possible to remove multiple tracks in one action from the current playlist like in Ipeng ?

This is a planned feature (together with Drag-And-Drop support), but it's not yet implemented.

Howard Passman
2010-07-02, 11:11

Let me know how that works for you. I might be up for that..

Howard

KMorgan
2010-07-05, 12:29
Christian

Thanks for SqueezeCommander. I have it installed on my T-Mobile Pulse with Android 1.5. I notice that all the context menus appear blank. It actually seems to be that there is black text against a black background. When a field is highlighted (pink in the case of T-Mobile) then the text is visible. Just me?

Keith

edit: I see that on all your screenshots the context menu background is white. On the T-Mobile Pulse they are all black, hence the problem.

flattermann
2010-07-05, 15:45
I have it installed on my T-Mobile Pulse with Android 1.5. I notice that all the context menus appear blank. It actually seems to be that there is black text against a black background. When a field is highlighted (pink in the case of T-Mobile) then the text is visible. Just me?

edit: I see that on all your screenshots the context menu background is white. On the T-Mobile Pulse they are all black, hence the problem.

Keith,

well, that's really strange.

Is the default background color of context menus (in all Apps) black?

If yes, that's probably the problem...

Please contact me through email and I'll try to fix the problem (i.e. either make the context menu background white or make the text color white):

android (ATT) flattermann (DOTT) net

KMorgan
2010-07-06, 07:02
Thanks to flattermann for swinging into action and resolving this for me in double quick time :-)

K

apn
2010-07-09, 11:58
Just wanted to post a big thanks to flattermann for creating this beast.

I got a Nexus One last weekend, upgraded to Android2.2/FroYo and installed Squeeze Commander 0.9.4.2 (iirc) yesterday, and loving the additional control over my 4 Duet/Boom players.

Thanks for a great app!

flattermann
2010-07-10, 07:48
I've just released SqueezeCommander 0.9.5 on Android Market and SlideME!

This release includes many new, cool features and several bugfixes.

New key features are:
* Support Love/Ban/Thumbs for LastFM/Pandora/Slacker
* Support Alarms
* Support Sleep Timers
* Support TrackStat Rating
* Support Digital Inputs for SB Transporter
* Downloaded Music now includes Cover Art
* It finally includes a ChangeLog (MENU / ChangeLog) :-)

I think this is a pretty nice release and I hope that you'll have fun with it! :-)

You can find the full ChangeLog here:
http://www.squeezecommander.com/trac/query?status=closed&group=resolution&milestone=0.9.5

As always, please report any problems in the Tracker:

Have a great day!

Christian

alphagamma
2010-07-12, 11:31
Did something change in the album art reading?
I have lots of album art not displaying now in the now plaing view.
They still show up correctly in the album list view.

flattermann
2010-07-12, 14:29
Did something change in the album art reading?
I have lots of album art not displaying now in the now plaing view.
They still show up correctly in the album list view.

Well, there were some changes (mostly fixes) but I'm not aware of Cover-Art problems in the Now Playing View.

Do you see cover art in the background of the browse lists (e.g. in the album browse)?

Please also check the Cover Art settings (MENU / Settings / Cover Art Settings).
(There's a new option to disable the Cover Art)

And please try to clear the artwork cache (MENU / Settings / Clear Cache).

If all of this does not help, please send me a Log file
to
android [ATT] flattermann [DOTT] net

Thanks!

Roomraider
2010-07-14, 09:40
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!!!!
Just installed your latest build on a new HTC EVO 4G & everything works fine. I was praying that an app like this would exist. "GREAT WORK"

Terje
2010-07-14, 12:06
I'll just add in to say thank you very much. After getting the Samsung Galaxy S I wanted something like iPeng, and your App seems to fill the void perfectly. Thank you for also pushing it through SlideME as we here in Norway don't really get paid Apps through Market :S

lrossouw
2010-07-15, 02:46
Thanks for adding trackstat ratings!

How do I use it? Specifically how do I rate a song?

Thanks

flattermann
2010-07-15, 03:01
Thanks for adding trackstat ratings!

How do I use it? Specifically how do I rate a song?

Tap on the song name and the overlay with the rating bar should appear:

http://www.squeezecommander.com/trac/attachment/ticket/163/trackstat.png

There's a small issue in 0.9.5 that will be fixed in 0.9.5.1:
When you power off a player and power it on again, the trackstat rating bar MAY be missing for the first song. It will appear as soon as the next song starts.

darrellcraig
2010-07-15, 22:36
Using the app on a Nexus One with Froyo, works great! Thanks much for developing this great app.

lrossouw
2010-07-16, 02:19
Tap on the song name and the overlay with the rating bar should appear:

http://www.squeezecommander.com/trac/attachment/ticket/163/trackstat.png

There's a small issue in 0.9.5 that will be fixed in 0.9.5.1:
When you power off a player and power it on again, the trackstat rating bar MAY be missing for the first song. It will appear as soon as the next song starts.

Ah, will try it out tonight.

richardw
2010-07-16, 09:30
I'm jumping in the love fest.....

I have been using this (Droid w/2.1) since we spoke several months back. Nothing but success every time I fire it up, wonderful app! My Duet Controller has been in a closet since, sorry Logitech!

I plan to put together a short wishlist but still think some random features would be a nice plus....

Great work sir.

datman99
2010-07-17, 19:44
This is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm thinking about getting the new Samsung Captivate phone here in the US. I use my duet controller primarily out back in our yard on the deck listening to squeezebox on outdoor speakers. This means direct sun light and personally I'm tired of covering the duet controller screen with one hand and squinting to see the menu.

This app should be the fix I need since I'll always have my phone with me and the screen resolution will be able t handle direct sun. I'll report back, if and when i get the phone and test the app. Great work! but the way. ;-)

dustinsterk
2010-07-18, 15:17
Just moved from the iphone (using ipeng) to a droidx....your app is great and just what I was looking for! Thanks!!!

hendrikmd
2010-07-19, 00:10
Does Squeeze Commander work and is usable on a SE X10 Mini?

I am asking because this one has a very small screen (240 x 320).

Did anyone tried it?

I have not bought the phone yet, so I would like to know it upfront.

Thanks!

flattermann
2010-07-19, 01:21
Does Squeeze Commander work and is usable on a SE X10 Mini?

I am asking because this one has a very small screen (240 x 320).

Did anyone tried it?

Yes, I have several beta testers with an X10 mini and it seems to work pretty good for them. :-)

Of course, a bigger screen is always nice (because you can e.g. see more list items on a page). ;-)

dshinnick
2010-07-19, 08:28
Hello all-

I'm interested in trying the Squeezecommander, but I have a few questions:

1. will this work with the squeezebox server built into the SB Touch?

2. If I buy the app then have to reset my phone or get a different phone, how do I install the app again without having to buy it again?

3. How do I know that the purchase system is secure? I normally look for the https before sending out my credit card number, and I don't see it when buying from the Market.

thanks much!

dave

pippin
2010-07-19, 13:33
1. yes
3. Ask Google, it's their Market.

flattermann
2010-07-19, 14:17
1. will this work with the squeezebox server built into the SB Touch?

2. If I buy the app then have to reset my phone or get a different phone, how do I install the app again without having to buy it again?

3. How do I know that the purchase system is secure? I normally look for the https before sending out my credit card number, and I don't see it when buying from the Market.

1. Yes

2. The license is bound to your Google Checkout account. As long as you use the same account for the Market, you can reinstall the App for free after a factory reset or if you get a new phone

3. I'm expecting the ordering process to be secure i.e. strongly encrypted. But I couldn't find something about this topic in the Android Market Help.

BTW: You can add your Credit Card or create a Google Checkout account through your PC ( https://checkout.google.com/ ).
In this case, you do not need to enter your Credit Card details on your phone.

dshinnick
2010-07-19, 15:39
Very good! Thanks much.

dave

baroquedub
2010-07-23, 03:09
Superb app. Solid, stable and fast. Much better than any of the other Squeeze-controlling apps I've tried. Worth every penny. Thank you.

(running on HTC Desire)

Henry66
2010-07-23, 07:44
I just got a new Samsung Captivate and this was my first app that I bought. It is awesome. You should see how gorgeous it looks on this wonderful AMOLED screen.

Not specific to your app maybe, but I was pleasantly surprised at how fast and easy it was to get it. Searched for "squeeze", click, buy, download, run, find my music library, start playing a song .... all in literally about one minute!

Korny Sietsma
2010-07-24, 01:53
This thread just convinced me to go out and get it - nice app; I especially
like being able to download direct to my phone.

Is there some way to stream music to the phone? Not really a vital feature,
but I could be tempted to make my server internet-facing if I could play the
music anywhere...

- Korny

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 12:44 AM, Henry66 <
Henry66.4ek4qn1279896361 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> I just got a new Samsung Captivate and this was my first app that I
> bought. It is awesome. You should see how gorgeous it looks on this
> wonderful AMOLED screen.
>
> Not specific to your app maybe, but I was pleasantly surprised at how
> fast and easy it was to get it. Searched for "squeeze", click, buy,
> download, run, find my music library, start playing a song .... all in
> literally about one minute!
>
>
> --
> Henry66
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Henry66's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=38863
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=69352
>
>

flattermann
2010-07-24, 05:03
music anywhere...

Well, it is a planned feature for SqueezeCommander, but not yet implemented:
http://www.squeezecommander.com/trac/ticket/4

For now, you can use a streaming app for Android and connect to http://your.server.ip:9000/stream.mp3. You can add "?bitrate=128" to set the bitrate.

The stream can be controlled from within SqueezeCommander (with high latency, though).

Qwijib0
2010-07-24, 17:35
music anywhere...

Hah, came here just to ask for this feature. Glad to hear it's in the works. Awesome app :)

SnowleX
2010-07-26, 06:07
Yes it's very a good application!!! Many thanks for the work. Could you tell me if it's possible to see the covert art with the online music library listed on MP3Tunes. For the moment I only see the MP3Tunes logo. If not it could be soooo good.

Thanks in advance

SnowleX
2010-07-26, 10:31
Yes it's very a good application!!! Many thanks for the work. Could you tell me if it's possible to see the covert art with the online music library listed on MP3Tunes. For the moment I only see the MP3Tunes logo. If not it could be soooo good.

Thanks in advance

It's supported!!!

flattermann
2010-07-26, 12:06
It's supported!!!

Good to know, thanks!
(I've never used MP3Tunes, so I didn't know this...)

datman99
2010-07-27, 12:01
Ok, I'm sold on Squeeze Commander!! Works great on my new phone Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S). Do to the terrific resolution on my screen; the app. is 10 xs better than what I was used to seeing when using my Duet remote. No more squinting or shading the screen when I'm out on our deck. The Duet remote now sits in the cradle and I use my phone to control our squeezebox.

Cheers!

mowa
2010-07-30, 10:52
I bought SqueezeCommander a couple of days ago - looks gorgeous on the Super AMOLED screen of my Galaxy S. Quite a nice application, but one thing REALLY bothers me. Selecting album list and scrolling down - it takes way too long for the list to update making it quite difficult to quickly find the album I want. In my opinion the album list should be cached and ready for exploring immediately, a background process could search for updates on the Squeeze Server (or perhaps on-demand updating).

SnowleX
2010-07-30, 14:54
Does anybody knows if it's possible to configure a Squeezebox receiver with SqueezeCommander? I don't want to buy the duet package with the controller (don't need it) and the receiver alone is much cheaper ;)

Thanks

pippin
2010-07-30, 15:21
Does anybody knows if it's possible to configure a Squeezebox receiver with SqueezeCommander? I don't want to buy the duet package with the controller (don't need it) and the receiver alone is much cheaper ;)

Not with SqueezeCommander directly but flatterman also provides a (beta state?) configuration tool for Android called "SqueezeConfig".
It's free, AFAIK.

flattermann
2010-07-31, 00:04
I bought SqueezeCommander a couple of days ago - looks gorgeous on the Super AMOLED screen of my Galaxy S. Quite a nice application, but one thing REALLY bothers me. Selecting album list and scrolling down - it takes way too long for the list to update making it quite difficult to quickly find the album I want. In my opinion the album list should be cached and ready for exploring immediately, a background process could search for updates on the Squeeze Server (or perhaps on-demand updating).

Yes, caching will definitely be included in a future release.

It's already on the TODO list but there are some prerequisites that need to be implemented first.

flattermann
2010-07-31, 00:09

Pippin is right, you can use SqueezeConfig for this task:

There is one BIG problem, though:
Android 2.1 seems to include a bug that renders SqueezeConfig unusable and there is no known workaround: :-(
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=8407
(Since I updated my HTC Hero to 2.1, SqueezeConfig does not work for me anymore...)

If you have a different Android version than 2.1, please drop me a line and I'll send you SqueezeConfig.

SnowleX
2010-07-31, 01:51
Pippin is right, you can use SqueezeConfig for this task:

There is one BIG problem, though:
Android 2.1 seems to include a bug that renders SqueezeConfig unusable and there is no known workaround: :-(
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=8407
(Since I updated my HTC Hero to 2.1, SqueezeConfig does not work for me anymore...)

If you have a different Android version than 2.1, please drop me a line and I'll send you SqueezeConfig.

Unfortunately I have Android 2.1 on my HTC Desire. 2.2 is coming this week normally...

flattermann
2010-07-31, 02:13
Unfortunately I have Android 2.1 on my HTC Desire. 2.2 is coming this week normally...

Be happy that you at least have a HTC Desire! :-)

I'm desperately trying to buy a Desire or a Nexus One since some time now, but they are completely sold out in Germany (well, at least at normal prices)... :-/

pippin
2010-07-31, 02:28
Have you actually tried these devices?
Personally I'd rather try to get a model with an LCD, I'm not at all convinced about the AMOLEDs.
They intermix adjacent pixels causing a blurry effect that doesn't look good IMHO, they heavily overstate colors and you don't see anything at all outside in the summer because they are not bright enough (I tried this).

flattermann
2010-07-31, 02:38
Personally I'd rather try to get a model with an LCD, I'm not at all convinced about the AMOLEDs.
They intermix adjacent pixels causing a blurry effect that doesn't look good IMHO, they heavily overstate colors and you don't see anything at all outside in the summer because they are not bright enough (I tried this).

A friend of mine has a HTC Desire and I played with it a bit.
It looked fine, but that was in the evening, without direct sunlight.

I'd prefer a Nexus One though, because I think it will receive the fastest Android updates.

Unfortunately, I really NEED a new device, because my Hero has some severe issues with the Touchscreen (the lower part does not work anymore). I've already spoken to HTC and they told me that I should send it in for repair but it will take around 2 weeks...

So the idea was to buy a new device and send in the Hero afterwards, but nobody wants to sell me a Desire/NexusOne for a fair price. :-)

Maybe I should wait for the "new" Desire/NexusOne in a month or two, when HTC has switched to "Super-LCDs".
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/HTC-Smartphones-mit-Super-LCD-statt-AMOLED-Anzeigen-1045609.html

pippin
2010-07-31, 02:51
Sounds like they finished the production of the old model and that's why it's sold out.
Given their model life cycles I wonder whether htc just manufactures a batch of each model and then goes on to the next one.
Makes purchasing much easier, too.

Terje
2010-07-31, 09:53

I'm on my second Samsung AMOLED (Super variant this time) and it's beautiful, and the best thing, black is really black. However on my previous phone (the Omnia HD) even that screen was much better than the one on the Desire which a few friends had. Don't know what was up with that. I now use the Samsung Galaxy S which is just superb, screen is quite good in sunlight, even out at sea in an open boat. And, already the Galaxy S has picked up a really active community and even if there is no official Froyo ROM yet, there are three leaked version with Froyo so far.

The PenTile layout of the Desire/Nexus One which is RGBG - as far as I know? - is just about the same as how the layout of the sensor in almost any digital camera (Bayer filter).

pippin
2010-07-31, 10:00
The PenTile layout of the Desire/Nexus One which is RGBG - as far as I know? - is just about the same as how the layout of the sensor in almost any digital camera (Bayer filter).

Yes, but a digital camera has what, 12 megapixels, and then you can do post-processing with the generated image, no post-processing between the screen an my eyes just the one in my brain which says: blurry.

I was specifically referring to the screen in the Desire since it's the only one I've got broader experience with and I definitely do not like that one.

Terje
2010-07-31, 13:59
Yes, but a digital camera has what, 12 megapixels, and then you can do post-processing with the generated image, no post-processing between the screen an my eyes just the one in my brain which says: blurry.

I was specifically referring to the screen in the Desire since it's the only one I've got broader experience with and I definitely do not like that one.

True enough! Well, I'll get back on topic. And this goes for both SqueezeCommander and iPeng so the problem is maybe not in your softwares. But, when using the Spotify plugin I don't get the "All tracks" selection on top to be able to add full lists to active playlist. However, in the default SbS web interface the plugin does show the "All tracks" entry.

pippin
2010-07-31, 15:06
True enough! Well, I'll get back on topic. And this goes for both SqueezeCommander and iPeng so the problem is maybe not in your softwares. But, when using the Spotify plugin I don't get the "All tracks" selection on top to be able to add full lists to active playlist. However, in the default SbS web interface the plugin does show the "All tracks" entry.

In iPeng this will be fixed in the upcoming iOS4 release although I'm not completely happy with the result (for technical reasons, it comes at the price of context menus and favorites handling). But it turns out the XMLBrowser interface the plugin has to use can be really hard to work with.

Oh, and WebUI and Squeezeplay/CLI/iPeng/SC,... can never be compared, that's currently two completely different interfaces (to be harmonized in the "onebrowser" activity). And hopefully fix that XMLBrowser issue above on the way.

Aslak3
2010-08-01, 02:39
I purchased this from the market a week ago and it's excellent. It runs very nicely on my Desire.

Anyway, I just wanted to thanks for writing it. It was definitely worth the £3!

tamanaco
2010-08-02, 13:34
Nice!.... 1st paid app I put in my two-week old Samsung Captivate. So far... so good. There are a few things that would be nice to have, but they might be unreasonable or impossible to implement.

I like that the app uses WOL to wake up the server, but I still have to grab the old remote and switch my SB3 from mysqueezebox.com to my squeezebox server. A long time ago I asked if there was a way to switch the Squeezebox from from SBN to a "default" SBS via the Web interface or programatically, but I think I was told that there was no such functionality. My SB3 is connected to SBN while my dedicated SBS sleeps. The PowerCntrl plugin has a similar problem. It automatically switches my SB3 to SBN and puts my server to sleep, but I still have to grab the old remote to turn the SB3 off to display the clock.

To use the search function after the application is started requires at least 3 clicks. Music Library -> Artist/Album -> Search. Sometimes both the Menu and Search (physical buttons) bring up the Music Library. Once the app has loaded... it would be nice if just pressing the Search button brought up a little window that let you you select Track, Artist or Album... and Internet Station (In the future... if possible)

Also... maybe implement something similar to the search function of the Contacts list. Like the ability to select the first letter of the track/artist/album from a list of letters on the side or display a large letter in the middle of the list as one scrolls up/down.

I use SpiceFly Sugarcube it would be nice if there was a way to turn it on/off from Commander.

Very low in priority - The color scheme is nice, but I find it a bit dark. Are color adjustments and skins features that we can expect down the road?

I just installed Commander... so maybe some these features are already planned, already requested or impossible. These were the things that came to mind at first glance. I have not played with the app for long or had time to read the whole thread.

Thanks for the great app.

flattermann
2010-08-02, 14:45
tamanaco,

Thanks for your ideas!

I like that the app uses WOL to wake up the server, but I still have to grab the old remote and switch my SB3 from mysqueezebox.com to my squeezebox server. A long time ago I asked if there was a way to switch the Squeezebox from from SBN to a "default" SBS via the Web interface or programatically, but I think I was told that there was no such functionality.

I'm not sure, if I understand your problem correctly.

You should be able to switch your SB3 from SBS to MSB (and vice versa) on the PlayerServerScreen (swipe left-to-right on the NowPlayingScreen, use the context menu of the Player).

To use the search function after the application is started requires at least 3 clicks. Music Library -> Artist/Album -> Search. Sometimes both the Menu and Search (physical buttons) bring up the Music Library. Once the app has loaded... it would be nice if just pressing the Search button brought up a little window that let you you select Track, Artist or Album... and Internet Station (In the future... if possible)

Yes, a dedicated search page, that combines all search results (Albums/Artists...), is planned (aka "Global Search").

This page can probably be invoked on the NowPlayingScreen, e.g. by pressing the Search button.

http://www.squeezecommander.com/trac/ticket/15

Also... maybe implement something similar to the search function of the Contacts list. Like the ability to select the first letter of the track/artist/album from a list of letters on the side or display a large letter in the middle of the list as one scrolls up/down.

Planned. :-)

http://www.squeezecommander.com/trac/ticket/142

I use SpiceFly Sugarcube it would be nice if there was a way to turn it on/off from Commander.

I never tried that, but I'll take a look.

Very low in priority - The color scheme is nice, but I find it a bit dark. Are color adjustments and skins features that we can expect down the road?

Well, themes/skins are unfortunately not really supported on Android.
Therefore, I think this one will be pretty difficult...

I just installed Commander... so maybe some these features are already planned, already requested or impossible. These were the things that came to mind at first glance. I have not played with the app for long or had time to read the whole thread.

If you have further ideas in the next days, feel free to open a ticket in the tracker:

tamanaco
2010-08-02, 16:00
tamanaco, I'm not sure, if I understand your problem correctly.

You should be able to switch your SB3 from SBS to MSB (and vice versa) on the PlayerServerScreen (swipe left-to-right on the NowPlayingScreen, use the context menu of the Player).

What I was trying to say was... that my SB3 is usually connected directly to mysqueezebox.com when turned off (the server is sleeping). I just want to use Commander in my Android phone, nothing else, to control the SB3. I'm able to connect to mysqueezebox.com and turn on my SB3 using Commander (not a problem), I can Wake up my SBS using WOL in Commander (not a problem). While my server is waking up, I can connect back to mysqueezebox.com using Commander and control my SB3, but I can "not" make my SB3 connect to my SBS using Commander via myqueezebox.com. I have to grab the IR Remote and switch the SB3 from mysqueezebox.com to connect to the squeezebox server. I just wanted to use my phone from outside the house (within WiFi range) and start playing music from my server. No matter what, I have to go inside the house and use the IR remote if I want to switch the SB3 from mysqueezebox.com to my server.

Note that if my server is on and my SB3 is connected to it... I can put my server to sleep and switch my SB3 to mysqueezebox.com using the Server Power Control Plugin. I can then go to mysqueezebox.com via a browser or using Commander and turn off my SB3. Server sleeps and the SB3 is displaying the time and I did not have to go inside the house to use the IR remote.

Btw, I believe that what Iíd like to do is a function thatís not currently available when one interfaces to with the squeezebox via mysqueezebox network. You can play music, you can add favorites, you can turn the SB3 on/offÖ etc, etcÖ but you can not make the SB3 connect to a server.

I still think I'm not explaining what I want to say very well.

pippin
2010-08-03, 02:53
I can "not" make my SB3 connect to my SBS using Commander via myqueezebox.com.
That should work, as flattermann said, from the player context menu (hold the player).

tamanaco
2010-08-03, 03:54
That should work, as flattermann said, from the player context menu (hold the player).

Maybe I'm a little dense today. Please explain how.

My SB3 is currently connected to mysqueezebox.com.
My SBS server is on
I'm on the player's content menu. (Top shows "PLayers on: MysqueezeBox.com nameofmysb3*)

Under Music Source:

If I press press and hold the option to connect Commander to my SBS server there are tree options (Connect, Configure WOL and Remote list) The default is connect with one click. If I select connect... I get a message that says "No Squeezebox is connected to this server!"

If I press and hold the option to mysqueezebox.com to connect Commander to mysqueezebox.com there are two options (Connect and Configure WOL) Connect is the default with one click. (Don't know why there is a configure WOL option for mysqueezebox.com in this menu)... I select Connect... My SB3 is connected. I can use all the features of mysqueezebox.com.... Where do I click to get an option to connect my SB3 directly to my local squeezebox server? I only get choices for "mysquezebox.com" features under Music Library.

flattermann
2010-08-03, 04:03
If I press press and hold the option to connect Commander to my SBS server there are tree options (Connect, Configure WOL and Remote list) The default is connect with one click. If I select connect... I get a message that says "No Squeezebox is connected to this server!"

Try press-and-hold on the PLAYER not on the server and select "Music Source". :-)

See http://www.squeezecommander.com/trac/wiki/MultiPlayerMultiServerScreen#Switchaplayertoanothe rserver

tamanaco
2010-08-03, 04:05

Maybe I'm being a little dense. Please explain how.

My SB3 is currently connected to mysqueezebox.com.
My SBS server is on
I'm on the player's content menu. (Top shows "PLayers on: MysqueezeBox.com nameofmysb3*)

Under Music Source:

If I press and hold the option to mysqueezebox.com to connect Commander to mysqueezebox.com there are two options (Connect and Configure WOL) Connect is the default with one click. (Don't know why there is a configure WOL option for mysqueezebox.com in this menu)... I select Connect... My SB3 is connected. I can use all the features of mysqueezebox.com.... Where do I click to get an option to connect my SB3 directly to my local squeezebox server? I only get choices for "mysquezebox.com" features under Music Library.

EDIT: If I press and hold the playername I get options for (Music Source, Sleep, Alarm Clock, Rename and Forget Player)... If I click Music Source it lists the name of my SBS with a button underneath with the words Cancel. Clicking Cancel does not do anything.

EDIT 2:... Got it!!!... I have to click the playername. There is no connect button or context menu so when I tried to press and hold the playername to get try and get drop down menu it actually connected.

Btw, maybe Music Source should read "Change Music Source". I thought it was just a "listing" of music sources.

I'm a happy camper.

flattermann
2010-08-03, 04:06
If I press and hold the playername I get options for (Music Source, Sleep, Alarm Clock, Rename and Forget Player)... If I click Music Source it t list the name of my SBS with a button underneath to Cancel.

Now tap on the SBS name in this dialog. :-)

tamanaco
2010-08-03, 04:45
Now tap on the SBS name in this dialog. :-)

Thanks... I was just moving a little too quickly and thought of this option as just a list of sources. See my subsequent edits to my post.

One question. Why is there a configure WOL option under mysqueezebox.com?

flattermann
2010-08-03, 05:14
Thanks... I was just moving a little too quickly and thought of this option as just a list of sources. See my subsequent edits to my post.
Good to hear that it works now!

One question. Why is there a configure WOL option under mysqueezebox.com?
Well, it seems that I forgot to check if the server is MSB but instead always show WOL in the context menu. :-)

I'll change that right now, thanks for the hint!

Edit: This is now fixed.

Skinny
2010-08-03, 23:46
I got one of these for $107 (even less in Ä) from DealExtreme and purchased Squeeze Commander from SlideME. Android Market doesn't seem to work, or something.

The pad is quite a slow device, but after disabling animations and background artwork in Squeeze Commander, it actually works very well.

Thumbs up!
- Skinny

flattermann
2010-08-04, 00:33
I got one of these for $107 (even less in Ä) from DealExtreme and purchased Squeeze Commander from SlideME. Android Market doesn't seem to work, or something.

The pad is quite a slow device, but after disabling animations and background artwork in Squeeze Commander, it actually works very well.

Thanks for the report!

Maybe I should also disable the MainMenu / BrowseList layout animation (the entries are filled in one by one from the top) if Animations are disabled, this will probably make it more convenient on slow devices...

apn
2010-08-04, 08:44
Still enjoying the app on my Nexus One. Very happy to hear that Global Search capability is in the pipeline.

A few observations with the latest version;

- I find it near impossible to change the "master" volume control that appears at the bottom of the album art and other screens. I can pause/fwd/rev the music selection, but for some reason, I can't change the volume.

- On the screen that display my 4 players, I have a really hard time selecting/changing the volume of a specific player (doesn't matter if it's master or slave). I have to use the tip of my pinky finger, and even then, it takes several attempts. If someone asks me to change the volume, it's ~2 minute task :(

- On the playlist screen, when I scroll right (to hopefully move back to the album art or players screen), it always seems to add the currently swiped song to the playlist. It takes several attempts to get to the desired screen, so I'll often go back to the Home screen and reselect the app.

Maybe it's just a case of fat finger Larry on my part, but I really don't have big hands ;)

flattermann
2010-08-04, 10:37
- I find it near impossible to change the "master" volume control that appears at the bottom of the album art and other screens. I can pause/fwd/rev the music selection, but for some reason, I can't change the volume.

On my Hero, I need to touch the screen some pixels above the expected volume slider grab area.

I installed the app "Draw" to see the real touch point.
E.g. draw a horizontal line and try to draw another line directly on the old line.

BTW: You can also change the volume of the current player by using the hard buttons for volume up/down on your phone.

- On the playlist screen, when I scroll right (to hopefully move back to the album art or players screen), it always seems to add the currently swiped song to the playlist. It takes several attempts to get to the desired screen, so I'll often go back to the Home screen and reselect the app.

You mean on the current playlist screen? (The 3rd screen on the main view?)
That's strange, because if you tap on a song in the current playlist, it will not be added (because it is already in the playlist), but it will jump to this song and start playing.

If you try to swipe on some other views (Album/Artist/Playlist ... browse list), this does not work. The 3-screen-layout ONLY exists on the main View (Player/Server - NowPlaying - CurrentPlaylist).
The other views only have ONE screen with a big list. :-)

But remember the button on the top-left corner (the note symbol with the arrow) on most screens.
This will bring you directly to the NowPlayingScreen.

KMorgan
2010-08-04, 10:52
Christian

While there is talk of problem touch screens, may I make a suggestion?

When browsing the libary touching a song sets it playing, unless something is already playing, in which case it adds it to the end of the playlist. I constantly find myself making a mistake with this. e.g. I intend to swipe the screen but accidently add a song to the playlist etc. You get the idea.

I would prefer if touching a song always brought up the context menu regardless. If the intention was to play the song or add it to the playlist, those options are immediately available. If the menu pops up because of a mistake then it can easily be cancelled.

Cheers

Keith

p.s. thanks for pointing out that the hard volume buttons work. Didn't know that

Henry66
2010-08-04, 20:21
I would prefer if touching a song always brought up the context menu regardless.I second this.

jstraw
2010-08-04, 21:28
It's important to me to be able to shuffle the contents of a playlist, album or folder. I just recently installed the app and I can't figure out how to do this.

Skinny
2010-08-04, 22:47
Thanks for the report!

Maybe I should also disable the MainMenu / BrowseList layout animation (the entries are filled in one by one from the top) if Animations are disabled, this will probably make it more convenient on slow devices...

Sure, anything you can do to further improve the usability on slow devices is appreciated. Any fade in/out is also pointless on my pad, since it only manages to render a couple of steps in time:D

Skinny

flattermann
2010-08-05, 00:13
It's important to me to be able to shuffle the contents of a playlist, album or folder. I just recently installed the app and I can't figure out how to do this.
You can show/hide the overlay with the shuffle/repeat buttons by tapping on the song name in the NowPlayingScreen.

tamanaco
2010-08-09, 12:21
After playing with Commander for a week I'm very happy with the way I can navigate my server library and squeezenetwork services. The only things I wish I had is access to the "Extras" menu. This way I can use plugins like Server Power Control to put my SB Server to sleep and like Sugarcube to turn on/off my dynamic MusicIP playlist. It would also be nice if one could create MusicIP mixes from the Music Library and to view Album Reviews. I know... I know... it takes time.

The only thing I noticed that's not working for me is WOL. I have to use my laptop to wake up my server. Pressing "Connect" to my server (already configured for WOL with the correct MAC) fails to wake up the server. Am I missing a button somewhere to send the WOL packets? Btw, I'm not sure if it is an issue with my Captivate Running Android 2.1. I also downloaded an App called WOL and it also fails to wake up the server. The WOL tool is configured to send 5 wake up packets every 5 seconds, but it does not do anything either. My laptop is connected via WiFi to the same router. I use Fusion WOL to send the WOL packets to my server and it works just fine. I would be nice if I didn't need to use my laptop to wake up the server or use the IR remote to put the server to sleep.

One more thing... it would also be nice if there was an option to clear the playlist "except" for the currently playing track.

flattermann
2010-08-09, 13:07
After playing with Commander for a week I'm very happy with the way I can navigate my server library and squeezenetwork services. The only things I wish I had is access to the "Extras" menu. This way I can use plugins like Server Power Control to put my SB Server to sleep and like Sugarcube to turn on/off my dynamic MusicIP playlist. It would also be nice if one could create MusicIP mixes from the Music Library and to view Album Reviews. I know... I know... it takes time.

Extras/Plugins will work as soon as SqueezePlay menus are implemented (that's probably included in the next big update).

The only thing I noticed that's not working for me is WOL. I have to use my laptop to wake up my server. Pressing "Connect" to my server (already configured for WOL with the correct MAC) fails to wake up the server. Am I missing a button somewhere to send the WOL packets? Btw, I'm not sure if it is an issue with my Captivate Running Android 2.1. I also downloaded an App called WOL and it also fails to wake up the server. The WOL tool is configured to send 5 wake up packets every 5 seconds, but it does not do anything either. My laptop is connected via WiFi to the same router. I use Fusion WOL to send the WOL packets to my server and it works just fine. I would be nice if I didn't need to use my laptop to wake up the server or use the IR remote to put the server to sleep.

If you click on a server in SqueezeCommander, a connection attempt is made and if this fails, a WOL packet is automatically sent.

Your server is connected through wired LAN?
If yes, maybe you could capture the network traffic (Protocol UDP, Broadcasting to 255.255.255.255) and see if the packets arrive in your LAN?
The packet is sent as broadcast, therefore you should be able to catch the packet on any device in your LAN. (Try e.g. Wireshark as Network sniffer)

One more thing... it would also be nice if there was an option to clear the playlist "except" for the currently playing track.

Hmm, I could add a second option to the confirmation dialog...

tamanaco
2010-08-09, 16:42
Your server is connected through wired LAN?
If yes, maybe you could capture the network traffic (Protocol UDP, Broadcasting to 255.255.255.255) and see if the packets arrive in your LAN?
The packet is sent as broadcast, therefore you should be able to catch the packet on any device in your LAN. (Try e.g. Wireshark as Network sniffer)

Yes, my server and my SB3 are connected to a Wired LAN. I'd not have it any other way.

I ran Wiredshark and I can see ARP requests from my phone (.112) for my server IP address (.100) every time I click connect from Commander or when I try to send a WOL packet from the WOL app in my phone. I do not see WOL packets coming from the phone.

26 5.418603 SamsungE_ad:1x:5x Broadcast ARP Who has 192.168.1.100? Tell 192.168.1.112

When I send them from my laptop (.101) connected via WiFi using Fusion WOL I can see the WOL packets arrive.

162 33.584576 192.168.1.101 255.255.255.255 WOL MagicPacket for 3Com_6x:4x:1x (00:0x:0x:6x:4x:1x) (x inserted to hide MAC address)

I think I read something about Android 2.1 having issues with masks other than 255.255.255.0 could this be an issue? For a second there I thought WOL only relied on a known MAC addresses destination in the same LAN segment, but I could be wrong. Can you WOL your server using a phone with Android 2.1?

flattermann
2010-08-10, 00:03
I ran Wiredshark and I can see ARP requests from my phone (.112) for my server IP address (.100) every time I click connect from Commander or when I try to send a WOL packet from the WOL app in my phone. I do not see WOL packets coming from the phone.

[...]

I think I read something about Android 2.1 having issues with masks other than 255.255.255.0 could this be an issue? For a second there I thought WOL only relied on a known MAC addresses destination in the same LAN segment, but I could be wrong. Can you WOL your server using a phone with Android 2.1?

Ok, thanks!

I'll try it here today (with a HTC Hero running 2.1) and get back to you.

flattermann
2010-08-10, 02:26
Sure, anything you can do to further improve the usability on slow devices is appreciated. Any fade in/out is also pointless on my pad, since it only manages to render a couple of steps in time:D

Animations in BrowseLists / MainMenu are now deactivated if you disable it in the preferences.

Which fade in/out do you mean?
The cover art fade in/out in the NowPlayingScreen should already be disable-able in version 0.9.5.

BTW: If you are interested in testing the current beta on your tablet, please contact me at
android ATT flattermann DOTT net

flattermann
2010-08-10, 03:32

I just tried it here and it worked as expected:

222 23.673053 192.168.178.43 255.255.255.255 WOL MagicPacket for 00:00:00_00:00:01 (00:00:00:00:00:01)

Subnet masks should not really matter, because the magic packet is sent as UDP broadcast (to address 255.255.255.255), i.e. EVERY device on the wire should be able catch it.

Furthermore, if you are using a 192.168.x.x address, your subnet mask is probably 255.255.255.0 (= /24) anyway. :-)

Some more things to try:
- In the PlayerServerScreen in SqueezeCommander, does the IP address line show "192.168.1.100:9000 (WOL)"?
- Please try the WOL again (i.e. tap on the server in SqueezeCommander) and send me a logfile:

Thanks!

tamanaco
2010-08-10, 05:59
Some more things to try:
- In the PlayerServerScreen in SqueezeCommander, does the IP address line show "192.168.1.100:9000 (WOL)"?
- Please try the WOL again (i.e. tap on the server in SqueezeCommander) and send me a logfile:

Thanks!

Ok, problem solved. Knowing that "(WOL)" needed to appear and the end of the Server IP address line helped me solve the issue. I removed and re-added the server to the list. I think the issue was due to the keyboard adding a space after the ":" in the last hex pair of the MAC address. Removing the extra space with backspace removed the space while editing, but for some reason, once I hit Ok the space I removed using the backspace was somehow re-added. I used my finger to place the cursor after the existing ":" in the last Hex pair of the MAC and it worked. I also re-installed the WOL app and now shows an option to send the packets as broadcast which did not appear before under the settings.

flattermann
2010-08-10, 06:21
Ok, problem solved. Knowing that "(WOL)" needed to appear and the end of the Server IP address line helped me solve the issue. I removed and re-added the server to the list. I think the issue was due to the keyboard adding a space after the ":" in the last hex pair of the MAC address. Removing the extra space with backspace removed the space while editing, but for some reason, once I hit Ok the space I removed using the backspace was somehow re-added. I used my finger to place the cursor after the existing ":" in the last Hex pair of the MAC and it worked.

Good to hear that you got it working!

Maybe I should automatically strip all spaces from the MAC address...

Hint: You can also change the WOL MAC without removing/readding the server:
Just tap-hold on the server in the PlayerServerScreen and select "Configure WOL".

chinaski
2010-08-15, 09:27
The feature we use most often with our duet controller is the My Music->Random Mix->Song Mix to generate a random playlist out of our (very large) collection. This functionality appears to be missing in the squeezecommander app, or am I missing something?

If it's available, please tell me how to find it. If not, is this a feature you'll be adding?

chinaski

chinaski
2010-08-16, 10:06
How do you add something to the current playlist at the "next" position. On the duet remote I click the "plus" button, then "Play Next". Is there equivalent functionality in squeezecommander?

Thanks,

Chinaski

flattermann
2010-08-17, 02:24
chinaski,

Random play does not work yet, but it's a planned feature and I'll implement it in a future release.

"Play Next" is available as context menu.
Press-Hold on an item (song/artist/album) to open the context menu.

This will give you several options:

PLAY - Clear playlist and play selection
ADD - Add the selected item to the END of the current playlist
INSERT - Add the selected item as NEXT song to the current playlist

chinaski
2010-08-17, 10:20
Thanks for the update. Enjoying your app...

lrossouw
2010-08-20, 02:09
This came up in a thread on storage of physical CDs when someone suggested putting in RFID tags in the CD and using a reader to automatically start playing songs on their SqueezeBox. I thought about this and it would seem to be possible already using barcodes on Android.

So a feature request is, is to have the ability to read the barcode of a physical CD using the barcode app and then lookup the artist\album name and then pysically play the album. I'm pretty sure the musicbrainz database has barcodes of CDs stored so you could use their API to get CD names from barcodes. Then a search on the Squeezebox Server should find the CD and presto!

The idea is that I'm flipping through my physical CDs, see something I like and then scan the code to start it playing on my SB3.

Obviously not a top priority item but innovative :)

pippin
2010-08-20, 04:07
Obviously not a top priority item but innovative :)

Not really innovative. More like "retro". :)

flattermann
2010-09-26, 11:48
A new SqueezeCommander release has just hit the Android Market and SlideME!

Version 0.9.5.1 is mostly a bugfix release:

* Added App2SD for Android 2.2+
* Fixed TrackStat problem
* Fixed cover art download problem
* No confirmation dialog when downloading single files
* Allow downloads to internal storage (ď/emmcĒ), where applicable
* Fixed WOL config problem/crash
* Fixed alarm playlist selection on MySB
* Several smaller bugfixes

You can find the full ChangeLog here:
http://www.squeezecommander.com/trac/query?status=closed&group=resolution&milestone=0.9.5.1

As always, please report any problems in the Tracker:

Have fun!

Henry66
2010-09-26, 14:21
When I try to connect to MySqueezebox.com SqueezeCommander tells me I have no player connected. What could the problem be?

No problems connecting to MySB via a browser or from the player (a Touch).

flattermann
2010-09-26, 14:31
When I try to connect to MySqueezebox.com SqueezeCommander tells me I have no player connected. What could the problem be?

No problems connecting to MySB via a browser or from the player (a Touch).

Did you just connect SqueezeCommander to MySB or did you actually switched your player to MySB? (Long-Click on the player, select "Music Source", click on MySB.com)

Henry66
2010-09-26, 15:05
Did you just connect SqueezeCommander to MySB or did you actually switched your player to MySB? (Long-Click on the player, select "Music Source", click on MySB.com)
When I wrote that post I was just connecting SC to MySB.

Where do I long click on the player to get the "Music Source" option? I can't seem to find it at all.

Anyway, now I am unable to see my player from MySB.com any more. Seems to be a problem at the server end.

flattermann
2010-09-26, 15:14
When I wrote that post I was just connecting SC to MySB.

Where do I long click on the player to get the "Music Source" option? I can't seem to find it at all.

Anyway, now I am unable to see my player from MySB.com any more. Seems to be a problem at the server end.

See
http://www.squeezecommander.com/trac/wiki/NowPlayingView
and
http://www.squeezecommander.com/trac/wiki/MultiPlayerMultiServerScreen

Connect SC to the server that has your player connected, i.e. click on the server name (local SBS or MySB).

Now, the MultiPlayerMultiServerScreen should show your player(s) that are connected to this server. ("Kitchen" and "Living Room" on the page above)

Now press-hold the player until the context menu opens.

Henry66
2010-09-26, 16:51
Got it. Everything is working fine now. Thanks!

jehma
2010-09-27, 16:44
I just bought the app (v0.9.5.1) and it works great. I tried the download feature and I think I'm missing something. I'm new to Android (got my Droid X last week, it's running 2.2). Anyway, I downloaded 2 songs successfully. I can see them on my sdcard in the normal place with all my other music, but the stock music player and DoubleTwist don't see them. I can use Astro File Mgr to browse to them and click and play through either installed music player, but they don't show up in the db of either music app.

Any suggestions? I just switched from iPeng on my iPod to this and I was really hoping to be able to use the download feature!

One thing I've noticed is that if I copy one of my existing artist folders to a new name, my music players don't see it, but if I copy a song within a music folder to a new name, it does see it. It seems like this is a problem with forcing it to reread the directory structure?

Thanks.

BenH73
2010-09-28, 05:00
The new archos players look interesting for controllers. The archos 28 at only $99 could make quite a cheap dedicated controller. The smaller versions are all resistive screens but apparently still quite responsive.

How does squeeze commander go on a qvga screen?

Ben

flattermann
2010-09-28, 07:47
jehma,

Well, you are right, new media files need to be registered to Android so that the music player apps can find them.
Normally, this should be done by SqueezeCommander automatically for every downloaded file...

I've just tried it on my Nexus One (also running 2.2) and - you are right, the new media files are not registered until I remount the SD card.

The strange thing is, it works as expected on Android 1.5-2.1 (e.g. on my 2.1 Hero)...
Maybe there were some changes between 2.1 and 2.2.

I'll take a look.

http://www.squeezecommander.com/trac/ticket/205

Thanks for reporting this!

flattermann
2010-09-28, 07:57
The new archos players look interesting for controllers. The archos 28 at only $99 could make quite a cheap dedicated controller. The smaller versions are all resistive screens but apparently still quite responsive.

How does squeeze commander go on a qvga screen?

Ben,

the resolution should not be a problem.
It's the same as a SE Xperia 10 mini or a HTC Tattoo.

It's more a CPU/RAM issue.
But the resolution is pretty low, so I think the CPU should be sufficient.
128MB RAM is not really much, so multitasking will probably not work, but as long as only a few apps are running at the same time, it should work.
(Android will just start to kill background apps earlier than on a device with more RAM...)

BTW: You are right, for a cheap dedicated controller, it looks promising.

flattermann
2010-09-28, 08:37
jehma,

I found the problem, it will be fixed in the next version.

bigbossman
2010-09-29, 03:04
Wow! Just tried unsuccessfully to purchase from my phone, the purchase was declined.
No matter what I tried I couldn't get the phone purchase thing to work. Is there any other way to buy, say online from a Mac and then Bluetooth it to my phone?
I don't know what I've done wrong, here is plenty of credit left on my abused piece of plastic...

trickl
2010-09-29, 04:21
Hello,

will Squeezecommander be released for the new Android market country's as recently announced by Android?
I live in Belgium an would like to get this app.

Greetings,
PP

flattermann
2010-09-29, 06:49
Wow! Just tried unsuccessfully to purchase from my phone, the purchase was declined.
No matter what I tried I couldn't get the phone purchase thing to work. Is there any other way to buy, say online from a Mac and then Bluetooth it to my phone?
I don't know what I've done wrong, here is plenty of credit left on my abused piece of plastic...

Sometimes it helps to cancel and restart the order.

If that does not work, you could try to contact Google Checkout support (checkout-support ATT google DOTT com). Please add your order id to the mail.

If nothing helps, you can use SlideME:
https://slideme.org/application/squeeze-commander

flattermann
2010-09-29, 06:52
will Squeezecommander be released for the new Android market country's as recently announced by Android?
I live in Belgium an would like to get this app.

Yes, SqueezeCommander will be available in all "new countries", but I do not now yet the details (e.g. which countries actually are these "new countries").

If Belgium is still not supported or you do not want to wait, you can get SqueezeCommander on SlideME:

reniera
2010-09-29, 08:22
Hello,

I wonder what android to buy but I did it in a new threat in order not to interfere with this one. Perhaps you have ideas ?

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=579615#post579615

verypsb
2010-10-01, 11:34
Is there a search function?

Aslak3
2010-10-01, 13:47
SqueezeCommander is brilliant.

I do think the alarm screen could do with some work though. The controls are abit "non standard" and not obvious. It also took me a little while to work out you could hold-press on the player to bring up the menu.

Otherwise, I'm a very happy SC user and would pay for each incremental update if I had too. ;)

flattermann
2010-10-01, 20:15
Is there a search function?

You can search on every list (artist, album, track...) by pressing the hardware search button (if available on your phone) or through MENU/Search.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

trickl
2010-10-05, 10:22
Hello,

just installed Squeezecommander.
Works very well on a Samsung i5800 (galaxy 3).

Just one question:
will the "Random mix" be added to the My music page?
I use this feature from time to time when I have visitors.

Greetings,
PP

flattermann
2010-10-05, 14:17
Just one question:
will the "Random mix" be added to the My music page?
I use this feature from time to time when I have visitors.

trickl,

Yes, Random Mix will definitely be included in a future version.

Squid
2010-10-11, 12:18
Are there any known problems with the Download feature ? Whenever I try to download one or more complete albums, several files will be missing. When I keep an eye on the download progress, I'll notice that a file seems to stall for a few seconds throughout the download and then it will jump to the next MP3. The stalled file will then not be on my SD card.
Edit: seems to be a Commander problem as I don't have problems with SqueezeControl.

On another note: an awesome feature would be a builtin Squeeze client such that you can also stream music to your phone, using Squeeze Commander as the controller of course.

flattermann
2010-10-12, 02:42
Are there any known problems with the Download feature ? Whenever I try to download one or more complete albums, several files will be missing. When I keep an eye on the download progress, I'll notice that a file seems to stall for a few seconds throughout the download and then it will jump to the next MP3. The stalled file will then not be on my SD card.

Squid,

SqueezeCommander is behaves pretty bad in case anything goes wrong with your download.
Sometimes, it happens that you receive a timeout or your network connections drops for a short period of time.
In this case, SqueezeCommander will register the problem and remove the faulty download, but there is no resume logic, yet.
It will just go on with the next download...
That's really not very convenient and I'll try to improve it in the future (e.g. resume/retry the failed downloads).

You can see the cause of the problem in the Logfile, e.g. see http://www.squeezecommander.com/trac/wiki/Logfile for how to send yourself (or me :-) ) your device's log file.

On another note: an awesome feature would be a builtin Squeeze client such that you can also stream music to your phone, using Squeeze Commander as the controller of course.

Yes, that's a planned feature, but there are some other things with a higher priority that I'm working on right now. (e.g. generic server plugin support/SqueezePlay menus)
But I'll definitely try to implement a player feature in the future...

esa
2010-10-13, 12:43
The alarm playlist are loaded from the server, i.e. if you can select the SQL playlist as alarm through the WebUI (http://yourserver:9000), it should also work in SqueezeCommander.
(How do you set an SQLPlayList as alarm at the moment?)

By not supported, I mean you cannot access the “Extras” menu in SqueezeCommander, i.e. you cannot e.g. edit a SQLPlayList within SqueezeCommander, yet.

I have not tried the app on an Archos 43, but SqueezeCommander should run fine on this device.

AFAIK, Android Market should support paid apps in Belgium now, but if it does not work, you may also use SlideME:

Christian

Dear Christian,

Thanks for the explanations!

To set up a SQL Playlist through SqueezePlayer (I use it for test ) or Squeeze Touch , I check my SQLPLaylist in "SQLPLaylist->Setting->Favourites".
After this, it is visible in the Alarm menu -> select song.

I don't need to make/edit a SQL playlist with the remote or the SqueezeTouch. This will be to complicated ( because, I use the custom command Line to add more functionalities to the SQL playlist ).
I only need to launch them trough the Main Menu : I suppose, it is possible ?

Finally, I will buy a ARCHOS 5IT 8 GB ( because the price is good and bigger screen ).
But, I read Archos don't support Android Market, have a bigger screen resolution and thus not support all Android application...
Is it true ?
Someone use SqueezeCommander on Archos 5 Device ?
Any Help appreciate.
Can I buy it ?

flattermann
2010-10-13, 13:41
I only need to launch them trough the Main Menu : I suppose, it is possible ?

Well, if the playlist is accessible via "Playlists" or "Favourites" on the WebUI, it will probably work in SqueezeCommander.

If you need to use the "Extras" menu, it will not work yet, but that should also be supported soon, along with support for most other plugins.

Finally, I will buy a ARCHOS 5IT 8 GB ( because the price is good and bigger screen ).
But, I read Archos don't support Android Market, have a bigger screen resolution and thus not support all Android application...
Is it true ?
Someone use SqueezeCommander on Archos 5 Device ?

Yes, SqueezeCommander will work on this device.
You may need to use SlideME, because Android Market is not available unless you apply some hacks...

Just make sure to take a look at this device before buying it, I've heard several comments from disappointed users, because the device was pretty slow and unstable at that point.
But these comments are some months old, hopefully Archos has improved the Android integration in the meantime...

Mark Miksis
2010-10-13, 13:54
Yes, SqueezeCommander will work on this device.
You may need to use SlideME, because Android Market is not available unless you apply some hacks...

I believe there is already a market hack for this device.

OppfinnarJocke
2010-10-19, 09:55
Flatterman,
I bought SqueezeCommander the other day for my HTC Desire, and so far it has served me flawlessly. Great work, thanks for this. Seems the days of fighting my Duet Controller is over... You have managed what Logitech could not fix, a stable controller that does not have any problems of logging in to MySB.com.

And SqueezeCommander works with Triodes Spotify plugin, as well. Even better!

Kudos...

carib
2010-10-19, 10:28
I just wanted to chime in and say I got the SqueezeCommander for my HTC Aria this past weekend and it works great. I do like to know if Favorites will be available on the next update or am I missing something?

rkotemp
2010-10-19, 12:09
I do like to know if Favorites will be available on the next update or am I missing something?

Yes, you did miss something. If you go too select music the item on top is favorites.
What is missing are options to add favorites.

Rob

OppfinnarJocke
2010-10-19, 12:24
I searched this thread but could not find my exact problem, please direct me if this has already been answered.

I had SBS running on my laptop with the player connected, playing and being managed by SqComm just fine. Then I accidentally turned off the laptop, and eventually the music stopped.

When I then tried to connect to MySB.com, SqComm connected but also complained that "No SqueezeBox connected to this server, please connect a SqueezeBox or choose another server" (or similar). But I could find no way to connect my player to MySB.com through SqComm, I had to use my Duet controller for this (and happily it worked, this time).

What am I doing wrong? Surely SqComm has a way to tell MySB.com to take control of the player. Or not...?

pippin
2010-10-19, 14:08
No, but flattermann has also written a tool called SqueezeConfig for this. Please search this forum for it.

flattermann
2010-10-20, 04:42
I just wanted to chime in and say I got the SqueezeCommander for my HTC Aria this past weekend and it works great. I do like to know if Favorites will be available on the next update or am I missing something?

Adding new favorites does not work yet, but I'll implement that in a future version.

peter
2010-10-21, 00:50
L.S,

My main annoyance with SqueezeCommander is that it's too hard to kill.

I'll use it at home which often leaves it running, recognizable by the
icon in the Android notification bar.

So I'm at work and see it's still running. I want to kill it. I select
the app and I get "Connecting to the Wifi network" (that's not going to
work. Then I have to press 'back' to abort the connect, then 'menu',
then 'Exit' and then the silly app starts to question me if I'm really
sure, before I'm finally rid of it...

This is annoying and it happens a lot.

I'd like a 'Abort &quit' button on the 'Connecting to the wifi network'
dialog, or make it so that it doesn't insist on running in the
background all the time. An option to have it commit suicide if it
hasn't seen its home wifi network for a while would be great too. Add a
setting to get rid of the Exit warning at the very least, I'd say...

Regards,
Peter

flattermann
2010-10-21, 02:47
L.S,
My main annoyance with SqueezeCommander is that it's too hard to kill.

I'll use it at home which often leaves it running, recognizable by the
icon in the Android notification bar.

So I'm at work and see it's still running. I want to kill it. I select
the app and I get "Connecting to the Wifi network" (that's not going to
work. Then I have to press 'back' to abort the connect, then 'menu',
then 'Exit' and then the silly app starts to question me if I'm really
sure, before I'm finally rid of it...

Why don't you just press "Clear" in the Notification area to remove the SqueezeCommander icon?

This icon is just a shortcut to start SqueezeCommander.
It does NOT mean that the App is still running in background.

Using the "Exit" button (=hard killing the app) makes no sense, really.
It is strongly discouraged because it will make your phone slower, consume more CPU power and hence drain the battery faster.

http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/

BTW: SqueezeCommander uses the standard Android behaviour:

Pressing HOME
==============
This will bring you back to the home screen.
SqueezeCommander will be stopped (i.e. it will not generate any network traffic or consume CPU power) and eventually be removed from the memory if Android needs RAM for other apps.
If you choose to go back to SqueezeCommander, this will be very fast, because Android does not need to reload the whole App, but it can easily resume it.

Pressing BACK
==============
This will kill and remove the SqueezeCommander activity from the memory.
If you choose to go back to SqueezeCommander, it will be a bit slower because Android needs to reload the App from persistent memory to RAM, initialize the components, SqueezeCommander needs to search for servers, connect and so on...

So, the bottom line is:
- DO NOT use the Exit button
- Normally, press HOME to leave SqueezeCommander
- If you know that you don't need SqueezeCommander for a longer period of time and you want to force its removal from memory, press BACK

The Exit button is only meant for situations where SqueezeCommander is somehow blocked and does not work anymore. Normally, this should not happen.

peter
2010-10-21, 03:01
On 21-10-2010 11:47, flattermann wrote:
> peter;584229 Wrote:
>> L.S,
>> My main annoyance with SqueezeCommander is that it's too hard to
>> kill.
>>
>> I'll use it at home which often leaves it running, recognizable by the
>>
>> icon in the Android notification bar.
>>
>> So I'm at work and see it's still running. I want to kill it. I select
>>
>> the app and I get "Connecting to the Wifi network" (that's not going to
>>
>> work. Then I have to press 'back' to abort the connect, then 'menu',
>> then 'Exit' and then the silly app starts to question me if I'm really
>>
>> sure, before I'm finally rid of it...
>>
> Why don't you just press "Clear" in the Notification area to remove the
> SqueezeCommander icon?
>
> This icon is just a shortcut to start SqueezeCommander.
> It does NOT mean that the App is still running in background.
>
> Using the "Exit" button (=hard killing the app) makes no sense,
> really.
> It is strongly discouraged because it will make your phone slower,
> consume more CPU power and hence drain the battery faster.
>
> http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/

Silly me. I'm a new Android user and I still have to get used to its way
of doing things.
I disabled the notification icon, there's an SC icon on my home screen
already.

Thanks for enlightening me!

Peter.

carib
2010-10-21, 05:06
Why don't you just press "Clear" in the Notification area to remove the SqueezeCommander icon?

What Peter said.

flattermann
2010-10-21, 07:20
Silly me. I'm a new Android user and I still have to get used to its way
of doing things.
I disabled the notification icon, there's an SC icon on my home screen
already.

Well, I do understand you concerns!
Having a multitasking capable OS also has some severe caveats.

If you install a poorly designed App, e.g. an App that does not shutdown / stop properly, it will dramatically reduce your battery life and slow down the whole device.

E.g. there is a SqueezeBox App for Android that does not shutdown its service properly, even if you leave the App.
That means that the service will constantly try to get updates from the SBS server in the background until Android finally kills the process. (But this may take several hours, depending on your usage.)

So it is really important to design Apps as "Good Android Citizens", otherwise the users will have a bad experience.

As a user, you cannot do much about it, because it can be difficult to track down Apps/Services that drain your battery. (You may take a look at Home/Menu/Settings/PhoneInfo/Battery for a rough estimate on which App consumes most power.)

PS: Maybe I should remove the Notification Icon when leaving the App through the BACK button to indicate the user that the App is now removed from memory.

carib
2010-10-21, 07:44
PS: Maybe I should remove the Notification Icon when leaving the App through the BACK button to indicate the user that the App is now removed from memory.

I really don't mind having the icon in the Notification Bar but I was wondering if you could assign different functions to the Desktop Icon versus the Notification Icon? For instance, have the Desktop Icon remain as the Main Window (i.e. the Player(s) Control Panel) while have the Notification Icon be the Now Playing Panel. Don't know if I explained it correctly but I hope you get the idea.

tank121
2010-10-21, 13:39
Is it possible to build up playlists within Commamder and save them into

Music library - playlists for future playing ?

flattermann
2010-10-24, 09:59
Is it possible to build up playlists within Commamder and save them into

Music library - playlists for future playing ?

You can build playlists in SqueezeCommander but saving them is not implemented in the current version.

But the next major SqueezeCommander version is not very far away and, without promising anything, it may also contain a better playlist management (e.g. saving the a current playlist)...:-)

BenH73
2010-10-24, 18:39
But the next major SqueezeCommander version is not very far away

I'm curious now, without trying to be pushy, do you have any sort of basic featurelist or timeline. By the end of November, by Christmas, next couple of weeks??

Will this have any enhancements for tablets, such as the new Archos 70 and 101?

Thanks
Ben

flattermann
2010-10-25, 01:11
I'm curious now, without trying to be pushy, do you have any sort of basic featurelist or timeline. By the end of November, by Christmas, next couple of weeks??

Will this have any enhancements for tablets, such as the new Archos 70 and 101?

Well, I hope that I'll be able to release the next major version within one month.

Maybe I'll release a minor version before, that fixes some problems with Spotify/WiMP artwork and music downloads for Android 2.2.

I'm currently working on these features, but I'm not sure if all of them will be ready for the next major release:

- SqueezePlay menus (=access to most SBS plugins)
- Improved Menu Handling (=saving the last position in the menu, so that you can switch to the NowPlayingScreen and come back later on)
- Improved SyncGroup handling
- Improved Playlist management (=saving, reordering)

This version will probably not contain special Tablet features.
It will run on Tablets and the screens do scale pretty well, but of course it does not use a 10" screen estate perfectly.
Anyway, as soon as this version is out, I'll concentrate on the development of a special Tablet version (probably for >= 7" screens).

mlsstl
2010-10-25, 05:27
As a change of pace to this thread, I recently got a Android phone (HTC Incredible) and was looking forward to possibly replacing my Duet Controller with the phone and Squeeze Commander.

I've been pretty accepting of the learning curve for the phone, but I find myself strongly preferring the Duet Controller for my three Squeeze players. I've pretty much figured out how to do everything Squeeze related on the phone that I need to do, but it just doesn't seem quite as natural or convenient as with the DC.

That surprised me a bit as the general comments seem to lean the other way.

peter
2010-10-25, 08:29
mlsstl wrote:
> As a change of pace to this thread, I recently got a Android phone (HTC
> Incredible) and was looking forward to possibly replacing my Duet
> Controller with the phone and Squeeze Commander.
>
> I've been pretty accepting of the learning curve for the phone, but I
> find myself strongly preferring the Duet Controller for my three
> Squeeze players. I've pretty much figured out how to do everything
> Squeeze related on the phone that I need to do, but it just doesn't
> seem quite as natural or convenient as with the DC.
>
> That surprised me a bit as the general comments seem to lean the other
> way.
>

My experience is exactly the opposite. I own two controllers and between
iPad/iPeng and Android/SQ we haven't been using the living room
controller at all. My SO took to using the iPad to control the audio
very quickly.

I don't take my phone to bed, so the controller on the night stand is
still in use.

Peter

dave77
2010-10-29, 02:55
Finally got an Android phone and got SC. Tried the free ones on the girlfriends phone last week, they're good but SC is much neater.

It would be nice to have a homescreen Widget for SC, maybe a single line with play/pause,prev, next and currently playing text

flattermann
2010-10-30, 04:53
Finally got an Android phone and got SC. Tried the free ones on the girlfriends phone last week, they're good but SC is much neater.

It would be nice to have a homescreen Widget for SC, maybe a single line with play/pause,prev, next and currently playing text

Hi Dave,

That's definitely on my TODO list, but I'm not sure if this will already make it in the next release.

snarlydwarf
2010-11-04, 08:41

Okay, I broke down and despite my current wireless issues in the bedroom, installed SqueezeCommander. Very nicely done. Miles ahead of the free ones, for sure. Nice work.

patocox
2010-11-05, 07:36
trickl,

Yes, Random Mix will definitely be included in a future version.

One thing I have discovered is that if I have squeezecommander on shuffle on the Now Playing screen (its the four horizontal lines) and then go to the directory and Select "Songs" and then "All Songs" I get a random mix. But it does seem to repeat many of the same albums and songs more often than it should. At least its something until Random Mix is implemented.

-Pat

rkotemp
2010-11-07, 04:12
If you want an option for random mixes there is an easy solution using ŗ favorite.
Using the webinterfase from your squeezebox server just add the mix option you want to your favorites.

Rob

morthan
2010-11-10, 14:27
Just got my first android phone yesterday (SE xperia mini) and the first thing I did was intsall Squeeze commander. I'm blown away. Its just fantastic. Well done flatterman. Just a question....it looks like you will be regulary updating the software. Do you have to purchase each new version or do you get the updates free?

snarlydwarf
2010-11-10, 14:50
Just got my first android phone yesterday (SE xperia mini) and the first thing I did was intsall Squeeze commander. I'm blown away. Its just fantastic. Well done flatterman. Just a question....it looks like you will be regulary updating the software. Do you have to purchase each new version or do you get the updates free?

Not flatterman but updates are free.

And, yes, SqueezeCommander is slick enough I use it despite somewhat shady wifi in places at home.

flattermann
2010-11-10, 16:19

snarlydwarf is right, all future updates for SqueezeCommander are free.

You can even install SqueezeCommander for free on multiple devices as long as you use the same Android market account on all of them.

KMorgan
2010-11-11, 08:20
Christian

I think this has been mentioned before, but I'll bring it up again as it's getting a bit annoying.

When using SqCdr to navigate around Spotify's Recent Artists/Albums/Tracks/Searches the results are totally random. For example I have just gone to Recent Albums/The Dance and selected Dreams to play. On the first attempt I get Sleep Around The Clock by Belle and Sebastian. On the second attempt I get Cho Cho Fire by Buffy Sainte Marie. On the third attempt I get Wild Wood by Paul weller etc. etc. etc. It is only on very rare occasions it seems to work as expected.

This odd behaviour is unique to SqCdr. Squeezeplay, SBS web interface, SqBox Controller, all behave as expected all the time.

I'm using the 2nd latest beta, but this problem has been there on all versions of SqCdr that I've tried.

Hope you can find the source of the prob.

Keith

dalespitfire
2010-11-12, 16:26
Hi,

Iím struggling to get squeezecommander to pick up a stream.mp3 player on my SBS running from a NAS device.

I can see the player in squeezecenter config but how do I configure squeezecommander to see it? It picks up my buffalo linkstation correctly as 192.168.0.6:9000 but says no squeezebox is connected. I donít seem to be able to add the link to it (ie 192.168.0.6:9000/stream.mp3)

Squeezecontrol and Squeezedroid both worked fine but I dont like the interfaces.

Help!

Skinny
2010-11-13, 01:43
Hi,

Iím struggling to get squeezecommander to pick up a stream.mp3 player on my SBS running from a NAS device.

I can see the player in squeezecenter config but how do I configure squeezecommander to see it? It picks up my buffalo linkstation correctly as 192.168.0.6:9000 but says no squeezebox is connected. I donít seem to be able to add the link to it (ie 192.168.0.6:9000/stream.mp3)

Squeezecontrol and Squeezedroid both worked fine but I dont like the interfaces.

Help!

In the Players & Music Source view, click on your server after you have started playback of the stream, that works for me. Any luck?

-Skinny

flattermann
2010-11-13, 17:17
When using SqCdr to navigate around Spotify's Recent Artists/Albums/Tracks/Searches the results are totally random. For example I have just gone to Recent Albums/The Dance and selected Dreams to play. On the first attempt I get Sleep Around The Clock by Belle and Sebastian. On the second attempt I get Cho Cho Fire by Buffy Sainte Marie. On the third attempt I get Wild Wood by Paul weller etc. etc. etc. It is only on very rare occasions it seems to work as expected.

Keith,

I've tried it with the current version and I could reproduce this behaviour.
If it can be fixed easily, I'll fix it for the next minor release (0.9.5.2).

If not, you have to wait for 0.9.6, because in this version it already works 100% of the time for me...

Anyway, it will be fixed soon. :-)

flattermann
2010-11-13, 17:21

Have you tried what Skinny said?
I.e. click on the server in the PlayerServerScreen after starting the stream.mp3 playback.
http://www.squeezecommander.com/trac/wiki/MultiPlayerMultiServerScreen

Does that work?

KMorgan
2010-11-14, 05:40
Keith,

I've tried it with the current version and I could reproduce this behaviour.
If it can be fixed easily, I'll fix it for the next minor release (0.9.5.2).

If not, you have to wait for 0.9.6, because in this version it already works 100% of the time for me...

Anyway, it will be fixed soon. :-)

Thanks Christian. Spotify has become my primary music source, so I'm looking forward to the fix.

Keith

alan sh
2010-11-15, 06:24
How does it look on a Galaxy Tab (1024 x 600 display) with Android 2.2?

Alan

trouty00
2010-11-15, 08:44
I'm hoping 'very well' as I've just purchased a galaxy tab and this will be one of its main uses!!!

bluegaspode
2010-11-15, 09:41

Alan

The same, but bigger ?

alan sh
2010-11-15, 09:43
I'm thinking about it.

I have an Apple iTouch and it's a little small for some of the things I want to do (videos, reading books) although it's great at audio.

So, having this on something like a Tab would go some way to justifying the purchase.

Alan

bandi
2010-11-15, 16:42
Hi,
I do not seem to find this app in the market, if I try the direct link market://search?q=pname:de.cedata.android.squeezecommander, no success either. How is the application available currently?
Thanks,
bandi

carib
2010-11-22, 08:22
Hi all. Christian, I just love this app, but sometimes i cant see all my squeezebox players. I own a Touch and 2 Radios that I usually run them synced when playing my music but I frequently only run the 2 radios alone while listening to internet radio during the week. At this point I cant see my Touch player in SqueezeboxCommander. This happens the other way around too, I can see the Touch but not the radios. Otherwise the app is the best on the market and recommend it to anyone who own an Android phone. It works perfectly when I'm running all 3 players or each player individually but I still have that little issue. Am I missing something??

kc5f
2010-11-22, 13:57
I think that not seeing all of the players isn't a SqueezeCommander issue. I have a Duet and Boom, and when the SqueezeCommander can't see both of them, neither can the Duet Controller. It's like they're not talking properly to the network, and it doesn't mater what's looking for them. When I reboot them and/or the router, then as long as I can see everything with the Duet Controller I can also see it with SqueezeCommander. (Now if Christian could do something to make his program do what even Logitech can't do, I'd really be thrilled!)

carib
2010-11-23, 05:27
Thanks for the reply, I guess its just another little thing one has to live with to enjoy the Squeezes.

flattermann
2010-11-23, 05:55

It should look pretty nice. :-)

In landscape mode, the space is not used perfectly (as the items are probably not that long).
But I think the "classic" SqueezeCommander should work well until the special tablet version is ready...

PS: I can post some Galaxy Tab screenshots if you like...

flattermann
2010-11-23, 05:57
Hi,
I do not seem to find this app in the market, if I try the direct link market://search?q=pname:de.cedata.android.squeezecommander, no success either. How is the application available currently?
Thanks,
bandi

Which country are you from?
Does it support paid apps at all?

If not, you can also use SlideME:

DITC101
2010-11-24, 12:22
Hi,

I got my HTC desire today and just bought Squeezecommander. Everything works like a charm but I am having a problem finding the progress for the current track. Is this available in the Squeezecommander. And how can I jump to any part of the track?

Greetings,

DITC101

KMorgan
2010-11-24, 12:55
Aha. Tap near the top of the "now playing" screen and the progress bar will appear.

K

flattermann
2010-11-24, 16:47
I got my HTC desire today and just bought Squeezecommander. Everything works like a charm but I am having a problem finding the progress for the current track. Is this available in the Squeezecommander. And how can I jump to any part of the track?

Like KMorgan said, you need to tap on the song name on the NowPlaying screen to show/hide the overlay with the additional controls:

http://www.squeezecommander.com/trac/wiki/NowPlayingScreen#ShowHideOverlay

I'll probably change that in a future version, so that a click on the cover art (on the NowPlaying screen) does also work.
Maybe that's easier to spot for new users. :-)

SilverRS8
2010-11-25, 08:50
Great APP! Any indication when support for Custom Browse will be added? Without it I've very limited use for SqueezeCommander.

Regards,

Frank

flattermann
2010-11-25, 09:09
Great APP! Any indication when support for Custom Browse will be added? Without it I've very limited use for SqueezeCommander.

In the next major release (0.9.6).

I'm working on that right now.

Soulkeeper
2010-11-25, 09:48
Any indication when support for Custom Browse will be added? Without it I've very limited use for SqueezeCommander.
Can't you press the "search" button on your phone while browsing artists/albums/songs to get a "custom browse-ish" experience?

In the next major release (0.9.6). I'm working on that right now.
Do you have any idea about how long it will take until it's finished? I mean, a week, more like two months, or more in the ballpark of half a year? :)

SilverRS8
2010-11-25, 10:57
In the next major release (0.9.6).

I'm working on that right now.

Yes !! Thank you.

RadioClash
2010-11-25, 13:30
Flattermann, a simple request, would it be possible to implement "wordwrap" when browsing files and folders so that the names don't run off the screen? Unless I am missing a setting, I would love to see this in your next release.

Soulkeeper
2010-11-26, 05:51
While we're at feature requests, sometimes I want to google the band or the album (or even the song). Alternatively look it up on Wikipedia. Some menu options for this would be fab (and not too tiresome to implement either, I suspect).

Like this:
Select album/artist/song -> press Menu -> choose Wikipedia -> article opens in browser.
Select album/artist/song -> press Menu -> choose Google -> search results page open in browser.

flattermann
2010-11-26, 06:12
Flattermann, a simple request, would it be possible to implement "wordwrap" when browsing files and folders so that the names don't run off the screen? Unless I am missing a setting, I would love to see this in your next release.

That's already implemented in my 0.9.6 development build. :-)