PDA

View Full Version : Few questions about the SB Touch

dan0di
2009-10-07, 04:00
Hi, I'm still unsure which Squeezebox I should buy. I've a few questions about the SB Touch:

1. Is it possible to use a controller with display for the touch. I don't like the idea that I have to use the remote that comes with it and look on the screen (which is about 3m away from my bed :). Maybe the Duet controller can be somehow used, or another controller.

2. For the first time ever, the SB has a server of its own, meaning that you can also connect usb drives and sd card and you don't need a device on with the server software installed. Does this also mean you can use about any NAS, and not only select group of NAS which are compatible with it?

3. Oh yes, one thing. Can the lcd screen be dimmed or turned off somehow or should it be on the whole time?

Thanks in advance.

radish
2009-10-07, 05:25
1. Is it possible to use a controller with display for the touch. I don't like the idea that I have to use the remote that comes with it and look on the screen (which is about 3m away from my bed :). Maybe the Duet controller can be somehow used, or another controller.

You can use the Controller, IR remote, iPeng, etc etc. The web interface is not available if you're using it with the built in server but you can use that as well if it's connected to SBS or SN.

2. For the first time ever, the SB has a server of its own, meaning that you can also connect usb drives and sd card and you don't need a device on with the server software installed. Does this also mean you can use about any NAS, and not only select group of NAS which are compatible with it?

Not yet - the current software can't connect to music stores over the network, just local via USB/SD. I would expect to see that coming though, there's a while before this thing is done!

3. Oh yes, one thing. Can the lcd screen be dimmed or turned off somehow or should it be on the whole time?

Sure - the screensavers/modes are basically the same as SBC, including "off".

dan0di
2009-10-07, 06:22
You can use the Controller, IR remote, iPeng, etc etc. The web interface is not available if you're using it with the built in server but you can use that as well if it's connected to SBS or SN.

Could you elaborate on this? So I understand when connected to SBS or SN you have the same web interface on the controller as e.g. the SB Duet?

dan0di
2009-10-07, 08:26
In the meanwhile I found out that a SB receiver + ipod touch 8GB 3GB with the app is actually cheaper than the SB Duet!

My question is, is the app just as good as the Controller or are there drawbacks?

andynormancx
2009-10-07, 08:30
My question is, is the app just as good as the Controller or are there drawbacks?
The app itself is good and I'd say better than the Controller, particularly with the updates in the latest version, it is very slick. The drawbacks are:

- no hardware buttons for play/pause/previous/next
- no support to use it as a player (mind you the Controller struggles to do that as well)
- you have to load the iPeng app first to control the Squeezebox (this is offset by the fact that the iPod is "always on" whereas if you have left the Controller for a while it takes time to wake up)
- it can't be used to setup the Receiver, you need to do that with a third party tool if you don't have a Controller

dan0di
2009-10-07, 10:24
The first three points you mentioned I understand, and don't consider them large drawbacks.

About you fourth point:

- it can't be used to setup the Receiver, you need to do that with a third party tool if you don't have a Controller

Which settings (or setup) can exactly be configured with the Contoller and are all of those settings covered by 3rd party tools?

andynormancx
2009-10-07, 10:31
Which settings (or setup) can exactly be configured with the Contoller and are all of those settings covered by 3rd party tools?
The Receiver has no display, so when it is setup initial it needs help. This help is normally provided by the Controller.

If you don't have a Controller then you need to do the initial setup of the Receiver with something else. The third part tool that you can use instead is called Net::UDAP, there are details here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=57861&highlight=udap

Once you have done the initial setup you can do everything else with the iPhone app.

dan0di
2009-10-07, 11:26
The Receiver has no display, so when it is setup initial it needs help. This help is normally provided by the Controller.

If you don't have a Controller then you need to do the initial setup of the Receiver with something else. The third part tool that you can use instead is called Net::UDAP, there are details here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=57861&highlight=udap

Once you have done the initial setup you can do everything else with the iPhone app.
Thanks for your help and the link andynormancx.
I think I'll go for the ipod, it seems like very a good deal! I was considering the SB Touch, but it's still some months before the release. Also, I think the receiver is better suited to my needs. I'll place it several meters from my bed so I won't often use the touchscreen of the Touch anyway. The only thing that I consider a drawback of the Receiver (and all other SBs except the Touch) is that it depends on an external server which has all the software. In other words, you can't connect just any NAS or an usb drive. If you know devices that offer all the services of the SB and support usb and/or any NAS I'd still like to know :)
Otherwise, I'm ready to buy this thing! :)

radish
2009-10-07, 12:23
Could you elaborate on this? So I understand when connected to SBS or SN you have the same web interface on the controller as e.g. the SB Duet?

There's no web interface on the Controller, so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Players have to be connected to a server. With current players that's either SqueezeNetwork/MySqueezebox.com or a local instance of the server running on a computer. Both of these have web interfaces for control. With Touch you have a third option - you can run the server on the Touch itself. In this case the web interface is disabled. All the other control types (IR, SBC, iPeng, etc) still work.

dan0di
2009-10-07, 12:55
There's no web interface on the Controller, so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Players have to be connected to a server. With current players that's either SqueezeNetwork/MySqueezebox.com or a local instance of the server running on a computer. Both of these have web interfaces for control. With Touch you have a third option - you can run the server on the Touch itself. In this case the web interface is disabled. All the other control types (IR, SBC, iPeng, etc) still work.
Yes, I understand. I interpreted 'the web interface' as the interface you have on you controller when you acces mysqueezebox.com :)