PDA

View Full Version : Losing library when I turn off computer

regalma1
2009-10-06, 13:09
I have an XP based laptop which has SC loaded on it. I use a NAS for my library. The laptop is on WiFi, my SB and NAS is ethernet.

This works fine most of time. Then I will lose my connection to my library. Everything looks right on SC, and the SB shows Now Playing but nothing happens. After going through this and spending hours of frustrating experimenting I have found that the only way to restablish access to my library is to purge it completely, delete the name from the window and type it back in. Sometimes I need to do this several times before it will recognize the NAS. BTW, Windows has no problem accessing the NAS drive or individual files. Only SC does.

Anyway, it takes about 35 minutes to rescan my library. All this so I can play some music.

It appears that this only happens when I shut down the computer. If I leave it in sleep mode, no problem.

As you can imagine I would really like to fix this. Does anyone have any ideas?

aubuti
2009-10-06, 13:17
I don't use Windows for SC/SbS, so I can't help you with the specifics. However, as to the general problem I suspect that when booting, Windows is loading SC before your NAS drive gets logically attached to the system. SC looks at where you've indicated the library is (eg, \\NAS\music), sees nothing there, and proceeds to create a database with 0 tracks on 0 albums by 0 artists. That 'database' wipes out the database you had. Then a little while later your PC connects with the NAS and all is fine, except for your SC cache. I think you need to find a way to get Windows to mount the NAS share *before* SC loads.

Phil Leigh
2009-10-06, 14:37
This is yet another reason (I now have about 20) why using a NAS purely as an audio drive makes no sense - much better to use a USB disk for this purpose. Sorry.

eq72521
2009-10-06, 16:32
This is yet another reason (I now have about 20) why using a NAS purely as an audio drive makes no sense - much better to use a USB disk for this purpose. Sorry.

I think I *may* have experienced this problem once or twice since going to 7.4, and this is actually the exact setup I have. So it may not be immune. I'll keep my eye out.

regalma1
2009-10-07, 08:21
Does anyone know how to change the sequence during startup? I assume that it is necessary to make the wireless LAN connection before SC starts up.

I just got my USB drive back from warranty repair. I'll probably just switch back to using it. The new Touch sounds like a good idea, mount the drive at the stereo. Makes sense to me.

Phil Leigh
2009-10-07, 08:32
I think I *may* have experienced this problem once or twice since going to 7.4, and this is actually the exact setup I have. So it may not be immune. I'll keep my eye out.

I've never had it with a USB drive - their drivers are loaded and the disk spun-up quite early in the Windows stack... before any network drivers need to load for network drive mappings.

regalma1
2009-10-07, 12:09
My OS has no problem with the drive. It shows up in Windows Explorer just fine. It is SC that loses it. Actually the contents of the library still shows in SC but trying to play a file is where it goes wrong.

I've only seen this happen with the NAS. I have to suspect that the connection to the NAS through WiFi is not being established in time to "sync" with SC.

Jcharmella
2009-10-07, 12:32
Regalma1, as another solution as to when things start up, I would suggest to not have SC automatically start up with Windows. After the system comes up and your drives are connected, then start SC manually and make sure that this really is your problem. It does sound logical and it probably is, this would help you to validate it.

eq72521
2009-10-07, 13:49
I've never had it with a USB drive - their drivers are loaded and the disk spun-up quite early in the Windows stack... before any network drivers need to load for network drive mappings.

My USB drive does take an inordinate amount of time to come online. It's on an old laptop that only has USB 1.1 (or maybe 1.0 for all I know). Still fast enough to stream music.